1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to remove "spiderweb" scratches on A/C and Radio display?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ES44AC, Jun 10, 2012.

1. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought the car used with 8k on the clock. Apparently the previous owner wasn't too careful when cleaning the above mentioned plastic display screens. Probably used a dry rag or something!

I will need to mask off the areas surrounding the screens to try and remove the minor scratches so whatever I use won't mar the grey plastic. But what to use? I don't need anything too abrasive and I surely don't want to make a minor problem a major one. But I don't like the looks of the scratches either. There is a plastic cleaner called Plexus but I have never used it and don't know if it's abrasive or what.

Sad to think that a little care taken when doing the cleaning of the console could have prevented this, that's what tee's me off!

If I do get them cleaned up I will cut some Venture Shield Ultra clear bra material and cover them once and for all. I don't think putting the material on top of the spiderweb is a great idea, it needs gone before I do it.

Thanks in advance!

2. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've always used Novous 2 Fine Scratch Remover on most plastics like my old cars head lights when they discolor and get foggy looking. I've had the same bottle for years. It's the red label and cost between $4-6.

If your finger nail can notice the scratches it will take something different to fix it.
    my2cents.

3. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi and thanks,

No these aren't deep scratches at all just on the surface more visible than 'feelable'.

I will look for that polish.

Cheers :D

4. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also guilty of dry wiping dust off the radio and HVAC display and scratched them to the point they were hard to read in direct sunlight. I carefully coated the lenses with RainX glass treatment. It eliminated the scratches and in another two years of dry wipes, the scratches have not returned.
    Apparently the rainX coating is much more scratch resistant than the original plastic.:)

5. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jon,

I have used Rain-X for years but never on plastic so I am a bit dubious to try it. It seems like the Rain-X would attack the plastic and make a terrible mess. I have no other similar materials to try your idea on. I'm glad it worked for you however.

6. cmrj

cmrj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to get very good results removing fine scratches and cloudiness from the soft plastic rear window on a BMW convertible using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner #17, Polish #10, and Detailer #18. #17 and #10 are a two step process for removing the scratches and polishing and #18 is for maintenance of the plastic.

ES44AC likes this.
  7. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whatever method or treatment you use, be sure to mask off a little corner and try it first to see if you get good results.
    You don't want to attempt this in the middle of the plastic and discover it's softer plastic then we all thought.

my2cents

8. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree. The Rain-X manufacturer has warned me not to use the product on plastic, stating it is designed for use on glass specifically. I don't intend to jump in and do it all at once and the surrounding areas that aren't part of the LCD readout need to be masked off as well.

Tnx

9. Jon Hagen

Jon Hagen Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use an Airstream brand helmet with a filtered air supply in my work. The company that markets that helmet has always recommended RainX to remove small scratches and prevent fogging of the plastic face visor used on the Airstream helmets, so I never gave it a seconds thought that it might damage the plastic in the Prius.

Yes, I guess I should have posted that RainX states it can harm some plastics. I learned that on another site where I mentioned that I used rainX to keep the rubber part of wiper blades clean and soft, so they wipe clean and do not chatter on a nearly dry windshield. Someone on that site said that he thought he remembered a warning on the rainx package stating not to use it on rubber parts . I checked and found no mention of rubber being damaged, but it did say that it could damage some plastics. I may have been lucky that it did not damage the type plastic on the Prius HVAC and radio display .