1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Replace 2G Gearshift Lever

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My 2004 with 81K miles recently had a gearshift lever failure. The problem is that the lever would not return to the center right position. Rather, it would remain in D or in R. The problem with this is that the car will not go into P when you depress the P button, while the gearshift lever is stuck in D or in R.

Other owners have posted that when their gearshift lever fails, they have had to hold the lever in D in order to keep driving. My problem was basically the reverse: the lever stayed in D by itself... :D

In any event, I installed a new gearshift lever today and am providing a few photos and "how-to" hints. This is a pretty simple DIY project.

The part number is 33560-47022 and MSRP is $378. I bought the part from Champion Toyota, Houston for $287 plus shipping.

Start by pulling off the ventilation duct on the far left. Then remove two Phillips screws holding the trim panel below the steering column and then remove that panel. Then pull off the trim panel above the steering column that contains the POWER button. Finally, remove the ventilation duct that surrounds the gearshift lever.

These panels all have electrical components and ideally you would disconnect the wiring harness connectors. However I did not do so because there was sufficient slack in the wiring harness so that I could just set the panels aside and still reach the gearshift lever assembly.

Use a socket wrench with 12 mm socket to remove the three bolts that hold the gearshift lever assembly to the dash. Then remove the two wiring harness connectors to that assembly and take the old assembly out of the car.

Compare the old assembly to new. You will notice the illumination light and cable that runs to a small two-pin connector on the old assembly. Also note a translucent plastic cover on the back of the part. Remove that cover, then remove the light and cable. Install the light on the new assembly. "Installation is the reverse of disassembly." :cool:

The first photo shows the gearshift lever stuck in the D position. The next photo shows the various panels removed. The third photo shows the spot in the dash where the lever resides, note the three holes that the three mounting bolts attach to. The final photo shows a side view of the new part. This is a pretty big assembly for a joystick control...

Attached Files:

2. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you determine why the spring-return mechanism failed?
    Did it simply break, i.e. in such a way that you might have
    been able to fix the old one?
    _H*

3. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Hobbit,

I looked at the old assembly in an effort to figure out what spring had broken. However it doesn't look like it will be very easy to take apart.

When the translucent plastic cover at the rear of the assembly is removed, you can see the rear end of the joystick lever and the pivot points. However the spring in question is not visible from that view.

1 person likes this.
  4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice writeup, Patrick!

Did you consider a salvage part and if so, did you price it? Reports of similar problems seem infrequent enough that I'd probably trust a used part if the price was right.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Jim,

No, since the price of the new part was not high I decided not to mess with a salvage part. If the inverter or an ECU had failed, then I would consider buying a salvage part.

6. fxedit

fxedit New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem. My 2005 has only 50k on it.

This is another dangerous Toyota malfunction. The car does not go into park - it stays in drive, a very serious safety concern.

Not a do-it-yourselfer, it cost me a lot more. Miller Toyota of Culver City told me I needed to replace both the shift lever assembly and the park switch. Seems to me the cause is one or the other, not both, and I feel they're just covering their butts at my expense.

33560-47022 Lever Assembly 396.45
    84480-47020 Switch Assembly 102.88
    Install Shifter Knob and Parking Switch 480.00

Total bill $979.33 plus sales tax.

Any essential parts not found on a conventional non-hybrid vehicle that are expensive really sour me to hybrids. A very unpleasant surprise!

Dave Zellers, Vice President of Customer Retention, are you reading?:mad:

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looking at the above pictures I notice the UK version of the leaver assembly is different, the control is mirror imaged that is drive and reverse is to the wright.

8. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got through replacing my shifter... about a 30 minute job and that included a 15 minute trip to town and back to buy a new bulb for the shifter light. A phillips screw driver and a 12mm socket is all it takes. Very easy. Most of the parts just clip in and out.

I bought my shifter used on eBay for $10 + shipping... no one else bid on it. There were many available for $25 buy-it-now.

It is absolutely thievery that a dealer would charge more than $50 labor for this job.

1 person likes this.
  9. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is surprising! Patrick, I would love to do a failure analysis on this part if you are willing to send it. Of course I will post the results here for everyone's benefit. What's also troubling is the failure to engage park when this sticks. Seems like Park should override everything else.

1 person likes this.
  10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick you never cease to amaze me.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can't beat that price.

Sorry, I discarded the part.

Not sure what was amazing: that my car had the failure, that I bought a new part, or ?? :D

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That you have the cojones to rip your dash apart.

13. nickbike

nickbike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Right after the engine swap the gear shift started sticking just like Patrick described in the original post of this thread. As mentioned in another thread, it had been clicking for awhile before it started sticking. I noticed the clicking, but didn't think anything of it since I didn't know it was not normal since I didn't own the car from new.

In my case, it turns out the problems (clicking and eventually sticking) were caused by a piece of plastic warping. Check out the two videos below. Between pulling the dash apart and trimming the plastic, I'm going to guess this is a 20 minute project and is easily done by a DIY mechanic.

Dino33ca, Chris Dragon, 8AA and 7 others like this.
  14. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Nice Job! Well done!

I have two questions:

1. Were you able to unscrew the knob from the stalk without damaging anything? If so, how did you do it?

2. I'm sure you pared away at the warped plastic a little at a time till it cleared. What tools did you use (or would you use if you had it to do over again)?

You invented the wheel here. I'm lazy and don't want to figure out these details :D.

Thanks again for the videos.

15. nickbike

nickbike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1)Yes, the knob just unscrews from the stalk using your bare hands. There is locktite on it, so it took more force than I thought it would for a little knob.
    2)I did the plastic "paring" in 2 steps using a sharp pocket knife. A razor blade would work well too.

4 people like this.
  16. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Nothing like bumping an old thread but I too had a clicking shifter. I followed the awesome steps listed here and found warped plastic to be the problem just like in nickbike's video. Shaved a little bit of plastic off and in 1 hour total from start to finish i was done.

17. nickbike

nickbike Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad I could help!

18. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Junior Member

Our 2004 Prius, ~70,000 miles, began clicking this weekend when the shift knob is moved. Just now, if I bear down towards the floor on the knob as I move it from right to left, the click does not occur.

Is it consistent with the Terms and Rules of priuschat.com to:

1) write to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) pointing out the hazards of 'do it yourself' mechanics making a safety related repair related to a design flaw in an automobile.

2) Send NHTSA a link to this thread.

3) Copy and paste portions of the thread discussing the repair technique and send them to NHTSA, just to make sure they actually read it.

I think that the images in the first video make it crystal clear that this is a part failure the ultimately leads to a dangerous condition in which the shifter sticks in drive or reverse.

As someone who pulled, rebuilt, and reinstalled the engine in a 1965 VW Bus 4o years ago, I think I could probably do this task. I also think that I should not have to do it; Toyota should accept the responsibility. Whether or not they decide to install a new shifter module or they replace the warping plastic sheet, this is a safety issue that needs to be addressed and that NHTSA should direct them to recall the G2 fleet for this repair.

thanks

baumgrenze

19. Scott Anderson

Scott Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't seem to figure out how to get the ventilation duct on the far left off. I don't want to break anything...

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exert a horizontal pulling force on the ventilation ducts. One hand on the top, the other on the bottom, and pull the duct out of the dash.