1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to Replace the Hatch Opening Switch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Wong, Apr 2, 2010.

1. allsmiles277

allsmiles277 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I recently purchased the part to repair my hatch mechanism with black gooey deteriorated supposed rubber. I used an offset Phillips screwdriver to get the 2 screws out. I scraped the black gooey substance off as much as I could. I took the new inner mechanism out of the new part and replaced black gooey piece. I put the new black rubber piece on with hex bolts for future ease of access. The hatch mechanism works like it is new. The part cost me 45 dollars and Toyota refused to fix it free for me. Toyota will NEVER see a dime from me in the future. I refuse to do any more business with Toyota since they would not help me.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is your choice.

Considering your car is 8 years old, please provide a list of auto manufacturers who you expect would help you given similar circumstances?

I think Toyota has actually been quite generous to Prius owners overall, considering the variety of special service campaigns and limited service campaigns that the 2G Prius has benefited from over the last several years.

stonerider and Yakoma like this.
  3. Mitchrodee

Mitchrodee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The plastic garnish on the hatch of our 2007 Prius has given way. Actually, I believe the cause is the two hydraulic support lifts on the hatch have lost their ability to lift the weight of the hatch, causing us to pull harder on the garnish. So, I've replaced the two supports and am now awaiting a new garnish. I'm thinking it must be possible to craft a handle of some sort, one that could be attached to the hatch using the two license plate bolts. It has to big enough to allow a set of gloved fingers to slip through and reach the hatch release button. My goal is to not put the new plastic garnish under any stress, if possible.

4. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This garnish failure also happens on the Scion tC. An aftermarket company came up with a metal replacement. Perhaps we can convince this company to tackle the Prius garnish.

Others have suggested this alternative handle to avoid stress on the garnish. For the Gen II, it will require drilling two holes in the hatch that would match up with the bottom holes on the license plate.

5. Dookin

Dookin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just did this the other week. I replaced it with an inner tube made for a bicycle, cut to the proper size.

SFO and nh7o like this.
  6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is more my style. I'm about to do this as well.

7. Dookin

Dookin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I followed this YouTube video.

He says to use a 7/16 deep socket to remove the bolts, but the Prius uses metric, not standard.

8. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a miser! Being penny-wise and pound-foolish, the OP fits the very definition of a narrow-minded ignoramus.

9. BobR38

BobR38 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

10. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I did the same and ran another push button to the dash next to the dimmer switch

11. alanew

alanew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A few weeks ago I used this tutioral to replace my sticky latch 2007 Prius Hatch Latch REPAIR
    it took some time to clean up. It's been working great with no issues or problems. best part, a lot cheaper than a new part.

12. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Mine is a 2008 and the hatch switch rubber was going bad; the first ever failure on our 2008 with 150K miles on it. It was not bad to the point of being gooey rubber like the 2007 owners complained of. Perhaps my 2008 was the tail end of the bad batch of chemicals. I replaced it today, a pretty easy job. It was good to preview the steps to changing it which made it much easier than doing it myself without prior guidance.

I paid $47.69 on Amazon for the 84840-47020 part number which does not come with the square "Lock" button. So I had to splice in and solder the wires. No big deal.

My 2006 4Runner has a similar switch and the rubber on that is in fine shape. It sits outside, usually covered, in the hot California sun all of the time. The Prius is garaged. This isn't a heat problem. Our summer temps in Redding CA are over 100 for much of the summer.

13. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for this thread. My 2004 Prius is fine, but the 2008 Touring Edition has this problem. Extends past 2007, I guess

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yes it affects 2008s also, I replaced mine

15. Prius Jeff

Prius Jeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had to deal with this issue for a couple years now, and am finally able to afford THINKING about a repair. What might be a 70-90 dollar part and then some DIY tool time for some is going to be more for me. After my wife and I struggled many times in the cold with it stiffening up, one of the plastic clips holding the garnish assembly broke, so the part for replacing the entire assembly is going to be somewhere around 250... I don't even want to entertain the labor costs from a dealer.

I love Toyota for being the innovator in hybrid technology, and putting such a great gas / electric option out there, but this was an obvious manufacturing defect that they are simply not addressing. If your service department at a Toyota dealership does anything but play dumb I'd be surprised.

Just thought i'd put these here:

www.meyersonstrategy.com/2013/09/toyotas-sticky-2007-prius-hatch-problem.html

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues (put 2007 Toyota Prius in the filter > Complaints > Latches/Locks/Linkages )

2009Prius likes this.
  16. mueck

mueck Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm cheap, so I went looking for other 2007 Toyota's with the same hatchback opening switch housing and found a cheaper one for the Toyota 4-runner that's exactly the same except it has a different wiring harness connected to it. Like every other car manufacturer, whenever it can Toyota uses the same parts across it's various models. All I really wanted was the rubber cover anyway. Below are the descriptions I typed into eBay, both are from the same supplier and both include free shipping.

$48.68 84840-47020 TOYOTA PRIUS BACK DOOR OPENER SWITCH ASSY
    $33.69 84840-35010 TOYOTA 4-RUNNER BACK DOOR OPENER SWITCH ASSY

By far the hardest part was cleaning and subsequently dissolving off all the black tar on my existing switch - it was a rotten job that easily took well over an hour. However, after looking at the 4-runner switch when it arrived, I now see that I didn't have to do that. I could have just disassembled the new switch, removed the micro-switch inside it (attached to it's wiring harness) and just transplanted my car's existing micro-switch from inside it's switch housing into the new switch housing. That being said, I just transferred the new rubber cover onto my existing switch housing and then screwed it back on. Good as new.

I also read about several people stripping the two screws holding in the switch assembly - that would be very easy to do if you didn't have the right tool. I was fortunate enough to have a 1" ratchet screwdriver and didn't have an issue. Forgot to mention, I didn't have to pull the door apart or anything - everything was done just by removing the two screws holding the switch assembly to the door. Don't forget about the washers on each screw either, they'll be impregnated in the tar. I've attached a few pictures that go with my text. Good luck.
    IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0984.JPG

mark5211 likes this.
  17. mattdalton

mattdalton New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The rear hatch handle molding garnish on my 2007 Prius broke and I had to replace it. The replacement molding garnish came with a new switch, but the original part was still fine (guessing because I live in a milder climate), so I salvaged it. If anyone wants this part, it is yours for free, just send me a private message. I will cover the shipping, so USA only please. It's the least I can do to pay back this site for all the useful information it has provided me.

18. acadiaphile

acadiaphile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Can somebody review the part number(s) for the items required to replace the rear "Garnish"? The plastic fasteners which attached the this part of our 2005 Prius broke and I'm hoping to replace the part myself. Is this what I should be ordering: GARNISH SUB-ASSY, BACK DOOR, OUTSIDE. DK. RED M.M.,3Q3

Thanks for clarification!

19. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Use this site with your specific VIN to verify the part number.

20. noelty

noelty Member

I removed everything and have run into an issue regarding the lock switch. The cables to the lock switch are joined with the hatch cables. How do I seperate them so I can remove the defective release and replace it with the new one I ordered?

Also, how would one open the hatch on a 2007 prius if they removed the handle and then closed the hatch while running into the house to get something :(

This is not my proudest moment : /

*EDIT* I think I ordered the wrong part number...I believe there is a part for cars equipped mith smart key :(

[​IMG]

#100 noelty, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
    blaisep likes this.