1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

how to run prius on EV at speed 52.

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by playcool-7, May 10, 2011.

1. playcool-7

playcool-7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello every one, need help . I have 4kw eng. kit now planning to add one more to it. (parallel)how i can increase my EV speed to 52. thanks Shail:confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You cant with enginer kit to my understanding. I believe you need to sell your kit and buy the picc

1 person likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2 people like this.
  4. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That 52 mph would cover my entire commute daily to/from work. Speed limit tops at 45 MPH during my drive. I'm still waiting to get my kit installed a year later - been with the installer and he kept having issues with various parts. A little anxious after all this time to just get it in.

2 people like this.
  5. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah as ericbecky says, that will work, but you do need a scangauge to clear the code, and be aware that you CANNOT go faster than 52, and that if you drain the HV battery down to empty (unlikely if you have two kits with two converters, but possible) you'll need to stop, turn off the car, and restart it to get the ICE back on.

1 person likes this.
  6. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  7. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, must be an Enginer user.

1 person likes this.
  9. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    2 people like this.
  10. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lopezjm2001> yep, that's a good trick you have employed there, I'd be a bit worrying about some road rage scenario situation where it could be a bit hazardous to swiftly pull over to reboot the Prius into OEM settings. What kind of trigger do you use? A toggle switch on the dashboard or have you ever managed to map some keys on the touchscreen within Canview frontend for the ultimate user convenience?

You mentioned in THE thread that you might at some point purchase the PIS module for 52mph hack. But is it available as diy self install option at all? We discussed it with the designer in the dedicated thread in this forum, but I doubt it's available at all. Only vague reference to some converted cars here and there, no other "real" people (customers) apart from PIS promo publicly standing behind it with reviews/pic/vids, at least to my limited knowledge. Those guys announcing this module years ago for another conversion shop also don't sell to individuals. What a whacky world of diy PHEVs.

1 person likes this.
  11. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My OutOfGas mode hack which is publicly known by many how it is done does not allow use of ICE until you stop and cycle the power of the Prius. The PIS ECM controller is much safer and has been offered to someone for US$1700. There is conflicting information depending on who you talk to from PIS as to whether you can purchase the PIS ECM controller as a standalone item without having to purchase the complete PIS kit. Again whether you can purchase the PIS kit as a DIY is also varying depending to who you talk to.

1 person likes this.
  12. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like giving details of how to do the mod, I do not condone others to use it due to safety issues such as lack of acceleration to avoid an accident or Prius stalling uphill. Use it at your own risk, total responsibility is taken by the person who makes the mod. You can understand how it can be misused by someone leading to having an accident so you should therefor expect that details are not made on a public forum. And there will always be some idiot who will run the HV battery until it is dead due to the ICE being disabled. Doing so can mean that a cell could be reversed voltaged which then it has to be replaced.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update on the PIS, given the elevated price for "simple" board it's evident this is perhaps still subject to some legal-commercial IP infighting among those various parties.. I doubt that Norm would ask more than half grand for it.

In terms of the OutOfGas mode hack I'm not asking you to post here some mega saga series of detailed steps with pictures and your "legaly liable personal recommendation" how to do it. I was simply interested if you are switching it by a toggle/button somewhere on the dash or from Canview's touchscreen (ext. relay) as perhaps more user friendly and ergonomic (hence more safe) approach to do it. That's all..

OK, so this PHEV section is evidently not a diy part of the forum, lol.
    Frankly, you have started it all by updating that very link (#page1), which refers to Enginer's private (customer only) forum, so this is like "buy something from Jack and if you burn down the whole highway - it's now ok because I have nothing to do with that hah. I didn't post it publicly on these open Priuschat hallways."

It's Friday, lets have some laughts afterall.

14. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It can be done many ways, I guess. The simplest being by letting your Prius run til empty. I use a remote control. The best way would be by sending a Canbus message to the appropriate ECU to induce the DTC but this is just beyond my abilities.

15. Mesuge

Mesuge New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the clarification. Yep, it seems the older boards by PIS which forced the EV mode were evidently doing the same via DTC route, however the result was the same, wait for a stop or (pull over), restart Prius into OEM, and clear code. Then came the Ewert bros. with their all modes fully operational 72mph board and after that PIS somehow claimed the same technology, independetly or stolen, who knows. Apart from selecting full conversion job by selected parties, the result is unobtanium product.

EDIT:
    I don't know but redacting in sense of DESTRUCTION OF INFORMATION in older posts is getting beyond silly. For kickers I just looked at the 12-20-2011, 11:18 PM post of interest in the main BMS+ thread after we had this dispute-conversation few minutes ago, and gosh you have just evidently auto censored yourself, apparently deleted and changed the specific wording (hint/spoiler of components used) of the OutofGas mod into politically correct
    "my modification"..

He who wants to have a look, here is the google archive
    function on that very censored post in the original wording:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?hl=cs&gbv=2&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3395l3395l0l3786l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&q=cache:m9-7krA_MgYJ:http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-phev-plug-in-modifications/99420-planing-canview-bms-conversion-lithium-12.html+http%3A//priuschat.com/forums/prius-phev-plug-in-modifications/99420-planing-canview-bms-conversion-lithium-12.html%23post1437929&ct=clnk
    (!note: google archives of forums sometime might last only hours/days before the very latest edit is preserved on top of the original one - it should stay for today at least)

Frankly, I don't get it, as anybody else I do enjoy most of your very informative posts on the topic, and innovative "garage" tinkering in the PHEV arena, albeit sketchy in documentation. But this behaviour is like in kindergarden, not among adults. Perhaps for the greater good of this forum/topic of PHEVs I'm not going to
    ask your true motives further.

edit:
    just to finalize the topic, there is thread (.pdf) with wiring on this forum, seach for "fuel pump" inside, the pump-relay-wirings are referenced on several drawings and other pages..

16. lopezjm2001

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Simple ICE kill switch at this link, one of many.

No Squirt

1 person likes this.