1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to set up USB stick with MP3s?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dutchottie, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Dutchottie

Dutchottie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, yesterday I dumped a bunch of folders from my iTunes library onto an USB stick and stuck it in my TNS510 system. Some folders and files were visible, not all. Some of the visible folder did not contain any playable music. Some music did work.
    So I figured I needed to convert all my iTunes files (not all mp3) to mp3.
    Nothing recognized!
    So I compared a few mp3s that did work on the first try with my new mp3s. Apart from the bitrate, which should be no problem, only the IDtag version was different. 2.4 instead of 2.3. So I converted 1 file to 2.3 and it worked. Great! Or so I thought. I then converted all my mp3 in the firsst set (about 100 or so) to IDtag version 2.3. Stuck it in my Prius, and,.... nothing!!! No files playable.:eek:

Can anyone please give me a hand in converting my music to the correct mp3 file/folder format?

Thanks!!

Marco

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry I don't know an answer for your question, but I am curious to know if any of the iTunes Format (M4p) files were recognized and played, or was it just the MP3 files?

Also, of the MP3s that did play, were they ripped from CDs, downloaded from iTunes, or downloaded from another source? May have to do with the source and if there are any copy protection schemes being utilized...

3. Dutchottie

Dutchottie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, just MP3.
    I use a handy little tool on my Mac called TuneClone. It enables you to burn a virtual CD from iTunes (protected songs or not) into TuneClone, which in its turn converts the "cd" to MP3 files. Works like a charm.

I've just played around further. I renamed a few folders on the stick with a prefix of 001_ and 002_. Now suddenly several folders are visible, though not the ones with the 00x_ prefix.
    Stranger still, I reformatted the USB stick (FAT32 extended) and copied the folders (artist-album-songs) back onto it. NOTHING! It didn't even recognize the USB stick even though it was FAT32 before.

It's absolutely crazy! :mad:

Marco

4. Dutchottie

Dutchottie New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay, I think I solved it.

The TNS510 and thus the Prius is NOT compatible with a Mac! :eek:
    Since we only have 1 Windows (7) PC (an oldie in my sons room), we do almost everything with a Mac.
    But after reformatting the USB stick on the Win7 PC and copying the MP3 files from the Win7 machine to the stick, the TNS510 accepted everything without a hitch.

So Mac users be warned, make sure you' got a Windows PC or Windows install on your Mac when you fill-up you USB sticks!

[edited]
    If you're not scared about using the Terminal, you can build a good USB MP3 stick.
    Here's what I do:
    1. Install TuneClone. This installs a virtual CD burner and converts the tracks into MP3. It works with protected files!
    2. Select the Playlist in iTunes you want. Right click on the Playlist and select Burn to Disc
    3. Select the TuneClone burner. Check the Sound Check and the Include CD Text options.
    4. Burn It
    5. In TuneClone you can see the tracks coming in and being converted to MP3
    6. Copy all the folders TuneClone created of your favorite music to the USB stick
    7. Start Terminal and do
    7a. cd /Volumes/<USBname> If you use spaces in the USB stick name enclose the /... part in double quotes
    7b. ls -al to show even the hidden files
    7c. rm -r .* this will delete the files/folder that are causing the problems. The .Trash, .Spotlight, etc.
    7d. Repeat this for each folder on the USB stick. So:
    7d1. cd <folder> go to the next folder
    7d2. rm -r .* remove the extra files
    7d3. cd .. go one folder up
    8. Eject the USB stick and enjoy your music

Cheers,

Marco