1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to start a Prius after long term storage (HV battery dead, replaced dead Aux battery).

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edli, Aug 2, 2009.

1. edli

edli Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car was damaged in a front end wreck. Took me years to repair it myself. HV and AUX batteries dead. Replaced AUX battery. Won't start, but may have other issues (will deployed airbags and seatbelt retractors prevent READY LIGHT?). All dash lights will light up, but only the ABS and Airbag lights stay lit. Assuming the other issues are not preventing the READY LIGHT, do I need to charge the HV battery? What's the best way (I prefer to avoid the dealer if I can)?

2. edli

edli Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PS - I know I need to have the brakes bled (by a professional, I assume I can't do this myself). My car is a 2004 base model with only 19k miles.

3. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After years the Hybrid battery is dead. You would need the special charger from Toyota to do it right, if it can be charged! If you are very knowledgeable in battery chemistries and high voltage electronics it might be possible to bring it back to life your self. I'd start looking for a late model salvage battery pack for 500-700 on ebay.

Wayne

4. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    why is this in the 2010 Prius forum???

5. Voltan

Voltan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Although your car is out-of-warranty for most components, I believe the HV battery is covered under an 8-year warranty under emissions regulations. And, since you live in a CARB state, your emissions warranty is extended to 12 years. It's in the warranty booklet that came with your car. You should be off and running soon. Best wishes.

6. vertex

vertex Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You may have other problems. You need to be able to read the trouble codes. If you can do that, and report the codes, we can help you. Also, although the traction battery has not been used in a few years, it may still have enough charge in it to run. It depends on how much charge was in it when it was last used. My car sat for 8 months without being used, and the battery was still at 4 bars. You can run diagnostics on the battery to find out. You can search for it on Prius chat and get instructions.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dear friends, this string is almost one year old. By now I assume the OP either figured it out or else sold his vehicle.

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Wow this is amazing! :)

9. Will N

Will N Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    2015 Prius V, left for a year, used to recharge the 12 v and it would start, now it's just dead. What's the process I need to follow? Is it difficult? (I called a couple of Prius repair places but they didn't call me back.) Thanks

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start by having the 12v charged and load tested at autozone