1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How To Tell If You Need The New iPhone, In 1 Simple Flowchart

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ggood, Sep 12, 2014.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How To Tell If You Need The New iPhone, In 1 Simple Flowchart

Too funny and too true. And yes, I got one. These old eyes will appreciate reading a 5.5 inch screen, even if I have to use 2 hands to answer the phone! Thank gawd for bluetooth in the car!

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That flow chart is not funny. To be funny, at the end of the flow chart, everything decision ends up with iPhone 6 plus.

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The only thing slowing me down on getting the new phone is its larger size. Although I know I'll love the bigger display, I'm thinking about all of the places I currently park my iPhone 5. The cubby holes in my vehicles, my pockets, etc. all accommodate the 5 very well. I'm worried that I'll regret having a big phone to put somewhere all the time.

BTW, I really don't want to invest in "holders" to go in all of my vehicles, and cargo pants aren't an option when I'm at work.

4. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most peoples flow chart works like this. Do you have an iPhone? Is it a iPhone 6/6 Plus? Get iPhone 6/6 Plus.

I'll keep my Nexus 4 until Google stops providing Android updates.

I pay $22 a month on Cricket/AIO (AT&T) for unlimited everything, 1gb high speed data, throttled to 128k afterward, enough to stream Pandora.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm in!(y) the picture of the current phone is my current phone.:(

6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm reminded of Frederik Pohl's brilliant short story from 1955, "The Tunnel Under the World," a satirical and cautionary tale of the American advertising industry.

The protagonist is annoyed by a loudspeaker truck in the street outside his house:

The bellow caught him from behind; it was almost like a hard slap on the ears. A harsh, sneering voice, louder than the arch-angel's trumpet, howled:

"Have you got a freezer? It stinks! If it isn't a Feckle Freezer, it stinks! If it's a last year's Feckle Freezer, it stinks! Only this year's Feckle Freezer is any good at all! You know who owns an Ajax Freezer? Fairies own Ajax Freezers! You know who owns a Triplecold Freezer? Commies own Triplecold Freezers! Every freezer but a brand-new Feckle Freezer stinks!"

The voice screamed inarticulately with rage. "I'm warning you! Get out and buy a Feckle Freezer right away! Hurry up! Hurry for Feckle! Hurry for Feckle! Hurry, hurry, hurry, Feckle, Feckle, Feckle, Feckle, Feckle, Feckle...."
    Full story:
    The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Tunnel Under the World, by Frederik Pohl

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm having second thoughts now. I think I'll wait for next year's Feckle phone! (or should that be fickle phone?) :)

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I used to like Apple but their 2 year built in obsolescence in a product worth £500 is just taking the **** big time.

Everyone thought Microsoft were unstoppable 10 years ago until their crap software just kept getting worse and worse and people sought out alternatives. Same with Apple. Their time has come and gone.

But I don't like Android either lol. Back to an old Nokia for me then :unsure:

9. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They are on a 1 year cycle: iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See near bottom of page and release cycles.

They will release one last iOS update on the iPhone to turn it into a slow piece of crap. iOS 7 made iPhone 4 worthless, so iOS 8 will make the iPhone 4s worthless.

10. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've often wondered about that with Android phones. One of the first things I do with my phone is switch off the auto update function.

Shame they try all these dirty tricks. I still have my first 2g GSM phone from about 20 years ago and found it in a drawer the other day, charged it and powered it up and it still works.

11. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    After I turned off all the fancy graphics features, my iPhone 4 has been running fine on iOS 7.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before my Nexus 4 I always had crappy cheap Android phones (Motorola Triumph), they never got updated beyond what came from the factory. There were some aftermarket ROMs that made some improvements but they were never 100%.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are many benefits to upgrading your phones software, but if this service is going to be abused as described above such as by Apple, then people are going to switch off upgrades. I think Apple have shot themselves in foot. How many sales are gained from those who buy a new Apple phone because their old one slowed down mysteriously after a software upgrade, against those who are cheesed off by such an underhand dealing and promise never to buy their product again? Obviously this is in addition to those who will buy Apple products come what may. What of people who might like to upgrade every 2 years or every 3 and would now object to being forced into upgrading by methods noted above?

14. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If Apple really wanted to force users to upgrade they would make each new version of iOS incompatible with all previous models of the iPhone. But they actually extend support back several generations - for example, my iPhone 4 is now the earliest model that will run iOS 7, but since then there have been the 4s, the 5, and the 5s.
    The 4 was introduced in June 2010, so it's now over four years old - an eternity in smart phone time. It won't be able to use iOS 8 when it comes out, but that doesn't bother me, as I will continue to run it quite happily on iOS 7 until the it either breaks or I decide to upgrade it.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    samsung is running a funny add, dissing apple and promoting their new release in october. one line was, 'you can thank us for the larger iPhone'.

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty agnostic when it comes to Apple or Android phones, but it sure is a PITA to find an Android phone small enough for my liking. Thanks, Samsung

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm guessing you're referring to New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Commercial Attacks Apple for iPhone 6 Plus - Mac Rumors. I happened to catch this on TV before the Macrumors post.

They also posted these online after the botched keynote/announcement feed: New Samsung Ads Poke Fun at Apple Live Stream Issues, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch - Mac Rumors (there are 6 ads in the paylist).

One can download the PDF, print and then cut out the templates at How big is the iPhone 6 Plus? Find out with our handy paper template | Ars Technica to see if either/both of the new iPhones are too big for you. I pre-ordered a 6. I knew from the templates the 6 Plus was way too big.

I have an iPhone 5 and a Samsung Galaxy S4. The latter is already too big for me. It is too bad that Apple didn't update the 4-inch screen phones. Oh well.

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Big phones sell pretty well in the Asian markets. If you want 4" screen, there's still the 5C.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    And the 5S. There's no point in me getting the 5C. It's basically the same hardware as my ~2 year-old iPhone 5 , but w/o a different outer shell. I wouldn't want the 5S either, as it hadn't been updated and it's a generation behind now.

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I love my kids! they all have Iphone 4s and can't see the need for an upgrade. Being poor students helps too. Incidentally my spell checker wants to change Iphone to I phone.