1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How to temporarily disable opening doors with key fob?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by somainer, Feb 28, 2014.

1. somainer

somainer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On our 2007 Prius there was a button under the steering wheel, which if pressed, would disable the key fob, so that you could only enter the car using the physical key. I used that feature all the time when running, hiking or paddling so I could leave the electronic part of the fob in the car (that would sensitive to moisture) and just take the removable, physical key with me...

Anyone know how to accomplish this on a 2014 v three?

***SEE POST #6 BELOW FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Several threads on this. Wrap key fob in tin foil or place in metal container to shield transmit and receive signals.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There are customization options for disabling either the smart key or the wireless remote, or both.

4. somainer

somainer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Can you please clarify how to accomplish either of these? If by "customization options" you mean things that I can change via the screen on my audio/nav unit (by pressing the Setup button, and selecting Vehicle on the screen), then the only thing I see potentially related to vehicle entry is something called "Key System with Elec. Key" which is currently set to "On" but which I can switch to "Off."

5. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi somainer,

Yes, that is the one.

However, unlike your Gen2, the steps to re-enable SKS are different. Pls see this thread.

Vincent

somainer likes this.
  6. somainer

somainer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Many thanks to Vincent for the clarification and the link... as the owner's manuals were completely worthless on this issue! For others wishing to accomplish the same thing as me - i.e., leaving the moisture-sensitive electronic key portion of the fob in your car (while running, swimming, etc) and only taking the small mechanical key with you - here are the steps involved:

A) To disable the electronic key system:
    1) while the car is running, press the physical "Setup" button on the side of the audio/nav screen
    2) then use on-screen menus to: select "Vehicle"; and then set "Key System with Elec. Key" to "OFF"; and select "Save"
    3) after the "Saving vehicle customization..." pop-up screen goes away, you can turn off car AND remove the small mechanical key from the key fob and take it with you (so you can later enter the car); leave the larger part of the key fob (with all the electrical components) hidden somewhere in your car.
    4) as you exit the car, lock the doors using the lock button on the driver-side door

B) To re-enable the electronic key system:
    1) open driver's door using the small mechanical key
    2) step on the brake pedal, and then hold the larger part of the key fob (with all the electrical components) in such a way that the Toyota emblem on the key fob is in contact with the "Power" button of the car until you hear a beep, after which you need to press the "Power" button within 10 sec
    3) once the car is running: press the physical "Setup" button on side of audio/nav screen; then use on-screen menus to select "Vehicle" and then set "Key System with Elec. Key" to "ON"; then select "Save"

IMPORTANT CAVEAT: If you use the procedure above AND leave the larger part of the key fob in your car, then someone could potentially break into the car, locate the key fob, and then start up your car.

7. li le

li le Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    you take the battery out and hide it .I been recommended to hide a fob without battery, battery be a different place, just in case you lose your fob, and no one around to bring you spare one. car service can unlock your car. I found someone who has all the tolls to make fobs for $60 where I live and they are real Toyota.

8. amylynn829

amylynn829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you SO MUCH for this post! I could not make sense of what is in the manual at all. I wish they had gone over this in more detail at the dealership as I swim often and haven't found a solution until now! :)

Amy

9. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Why not just put the fob in a small ziplock bag to avoid any potential moisture problems?

10. bsquare

bsquare New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the instructions. My intent for doing this is to stop draining the 12V battery. We often go several weeks without using the care and would like disable any systems that are draining the battery. Can you suggest any other tweaks that might help?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can disconnect the 12v negative, but the easiest thing to do is put a battery maintainer on it.

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this work?
    I've tried the wrap it in tin foil trick and it just doesn't seem to work. The signal still get's through.
    I've also tried the put it in a Altoids Tin trick and it wasn't very effective either.

LOL! I even tried wrapping it in tin foil AND putting it in a tin, and it still didn't work.

Maybe I have a "Super Fob"?

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You must have a super fob

I put my wife's fob in a tin can once so we could lock her pocketbook in the car. It worked in the tin can in the bottom of her pocketbook.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Guess I'll just be happy my Fob works.
    I would suggest to anyone using the "block the signal" approach that they repeatedly test the effectiveness of whatever method they employ, to make SURE the signal is being blocked.

I've read enough threads that I know people can block the signal. But I've also read it taking measures as extreme as using a metal cocktail shaker. Personally- I don't trust the "tin foil". I wouldn't feel confident depending on that method to ensure the signal was blocked. I swear when I tried it, it didn't seem to phase the interaction between vehicle and fob at all. If there was degradation of signal strength, It hardly registered.

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Boy, this sure is a lot harder than the button under the steering wheel.

16. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was a thread a few months back explaining in great technical detail why foil, Altoid tins, and such do not work. HIdden behind the fuel-cap door works, at least in the regular 3rd generation Prius. (But don't let the bad guys to see you put it there!)

#16 CR94, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015