1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

How would you move a Prius without power

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AussieOwner, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ouldatsun

ouldatsun New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, as with most damaged repairables, the car has came with no hand books at all.

Maybe some kind soul on here could talk me thru this procedure??!! :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It looks like you will need to purchase the repair manuals for your vehicle, or else subscribe to the following website that allows you to download the repair manual pages: Toyota Service Information

I've attached a page that explains how to remove the shift control actuator assembly. However, removing this part does not necessarily guarantee that the parking pawl will disengage.

Attached Files:

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found more information here.

It looks like if you remove the shift control actuator as described above, you'll be able to manually disengage the pawl by rotating the shaft it drives.

That document also says that the flashing shift indicators are signalling an actuator failure.

On this thread someone appears to have gotten a dead Prius to start simply by removing the actuator, turning the shaft manually, and reassembling.

4. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    make sure the battery is juiced up to at least one bar from ful befroe entering the exhibition room, then very lightly depress the accelerator about a cm and move electrically to spot...

5. ouldatsun

ouldatsun New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey...

That first link you gave was exactly the one I was referring to which said removing the 30amp PCON fuse - but it doesn't work for me.

The info on that 2nd link sounds like it might work - it talks about removing 2x plug sockets from the shift control actuator but unfortunately the answers are locked I would have to pay £3 for the privilege of finding out!!! - does anybody know where these plugs are???

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Removing the fuse only works if the Prius will power up and shift into N. Once the pawl is disengaged, you remove the fuse to keep it from reengaging on power down. Think of this method as "How do I keep the parking pawl from engaging when I power off" and you will get the idea.

Tom

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you see the PDF file in post #22?

8. ouldatsun

ouldatsun New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It won't open for me...my computer keeps telling me the file cannot be found!! :mad:

9. Stefx

Stefx Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The ICE will start in order to warm up, unless you have the EV mod.

10. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you don't mind getting all sorts of error codes and / or resetting them, I understand that some have been able to force an EV only mode by cutting power to the fuel pump. Supposedly this will allow the car to be operated on electric only up to approx. 53 MPH until the battery is exhausted, but be forewarned, just like running out of gas and continuing to drive, this may void your warranty. YMMV, good luck and have fun.

11. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A good floor jack and wheel dollies!

12. ouldatsun

ouldatsun New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So, basically there's no easy way around this LOL!!!

I thought I was in a better position than someone who had no power as at least I can get power to the car - thought it would just have been a case of disconnecting a plug or removing a fuse....aaaargh-why they have to be so damned complicated????:mad:

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because this is a Toyota hybrid which contains many systems not found in a conventional vehicle.

If it was a question of simply removing a fuse, relay, or wiring harness connector to get the parking pawl to disengage, would you agree that this would make the vehicle very easy to steal? Your suggestion implies that 12V power must be maintained at all times to keep the parking pawl engaged. Imagine if the 12V battery discharged on a Prius parked on a hill, the parking pawl disengaged and the vehicle rolled away, causing property damage or worse.

If you are serious about repairing a flood-damaged Prius, you will need frequent access to the repair manual. I suggest you either buy the paper repair manuals from your Toyota dealer or else subscribe to the Toyota Europe tech docs website and download what you need (see my post #22).

If you remove the shift control actuator assembly from the transaxle, you may be able to rotate the parking pawl so that it disengages. The shift control actuator motor has a 60 to 1 gear reduction. I'm not sure whether that gear reduction takes place within the shift control actuator, or is within the transaxle.

14. ouldatsun

ouldatsun New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :) What I meant was that I thought that possibly you could get the pawl disengaged somehow when the car was switched on with the key in the ignition (ie by removing plugs/fuses etc)

....I see where you're coming from but if a thief has possession of the keys at the stage where the car is in the switched on/ready state you may as well call the car already stolen and he'll have no need to start pulling fuses etc!!! ;)