1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HUD Ghosting and Blurry after windshield Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fredload, May 17, 2014.

1. fredload

fredload Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I didn't have any luck getting a concrete answer to my windshield replacement problems when searching earlier posts. I have a 2012 Prius with the Advanced Tech Package which includes the Heads Up Display (HUD). I recently took a rock to the windshield which resulted in a long crack resulting in the windshield needing replaced. I called my Toyota Dealer and asked who they used and they recommended a local glass company. I called a set up a time to have the windshield replaced, I made it very clear that I preferred OEM glass if possible and that I had the advanced tech package which required a different windshield than the normal Prius. They informed me that OEM was no longer available but they would be using Pilkington glass which is identical to OEM. The windshield looks correct, the black spots match the original windshield and there is no obstruction of the LKA camera. But the HUD is ghosting since the replacement windshield was installed. It looks blurry and shows the info almost double which is how I would describe it. I have searched google and here in the forums but can't find any info about needing a special windshield for cars with the HUD. I called my Dealer back and asked. They were not aware that the windshield would need to be specific for the cars with the HUD. I then called the glass company and they don't show any other options for the Prius with the ATP or the HUD. I can't believe I am the only one with this issue? Anyone have any info on this problem. I have seen several other cars with the HUD require a special windshield when replacing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If they told you there is no oem glass available, they lied.

I hope your replacement was free because most insurance companies pay for windshields damage from rocks

SM-N900P ?

3. fredload

fredload Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

It was completely covered by my insurance. I guess I need to demand OEM.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if it was replaced by insurance, just contact the insurance company and say the glass is no good and has a ghosting effect. Need to get OEM glass for the HUD to work properly

5. fredload

fredload Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

I will do that first thing on Monday. Thanks for the help. I will report back what happens.

So the glass company I used finally got back to me and told me only the OEM glass is compatible with the HUD. They are ordering the glass from the Toyota Dealer and will be installing once it arrives. It turns out that most after market glass is made using a different process of combining two layers together instead on one thicker layer of glass which is why the HUD is ghosting. The reflection is coming back on both layers instead of one. I hope the OEM glass solves my issue. I will update the post once I have the new glass installed.

#5 fredload, May 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. Jimmy

Jimmy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was gonna chime in yesterday but got sidetracked. I work at a glass shop and it is true that only OE is compatible for the HUD. No aftermarkets available for vehicles with HUD option. Glad to hear they are rectifying it.

7. neggen

neggen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you ask the dealer if they have factory windshields available thru their parts dep or service center?