1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Huge loss in fuel economy with wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by tunerPRIUS, May 6, 2013.

1. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only drove the car for about two tanks of gas after I bought it. I was averaging about 49mpg. I then installed 17x8 rims with a 205 50 17 tires. The rims aren't extremely heavy but much heavier than the oem 15" rim and tire combo. Tires are about 2 lbs more and rims are 6lbs more. I also lowered the car 1" with new springs and shocks/struts. I am now getting 42ish mpg. My driving habits have not changed. I find it hard that I lost 7mpg with different wheels. I am running my a/c cause its been hotter but that shouldn't effect it that much right? I am probably gonna sell my wrx rims cause they are oem and worth 7 to 800 bucks for a set easy and Im gonna buy rpf1 rims. I run these racing rims on my 600hp wrx. They weight 15lbs each. I wanna get them in 17x7 instead of 17x8 so I can run a 185 or 195 series as well. Opinions please? I am not going back to ugly stock wheels so please don't waste your breath. Thank you....

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    F8L likes this.
  3. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how do I calculate the actual mpg cause its off 1.6mpg at 65mph....there must be a formula somewhere?

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're SOL really. The upgrade to 17" wheels will cause you to lose mpg no matter what you do. That includes using light weight wheels like the RPF1.

The best you can do is stick with a light weight 17x7" and wrap it with a 205/50/17 Ecopia EP422 or PureContact. The 205 is the narrowest 17" tire you can effectively run. Even then you'll lose a few mpg vs. a good 15" tire.

The speedo should be close to accurate with the 205/50/17. It runs 1.5-2mph too fast with the OE 195/65/15.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh snap. I just realized you have a GenII instead of a GenIII.

The 205/50/17 is much too large in diameter for a GenII. You need a 215/45/17 to more properly match the diameter of the 185/65/15.

You'll average a 4-8mpg loss with most 17" combos on a GenII as the hit is larger than on the GenIII. I've done the swap dozens of times and it was always there despite trying different tires and having 15lb wheels. :(

KK6PD and Merkey like this.
  6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest using an app that mimics your odometer or other GPS tracking tool to see how far off your odometer is now reading. Your fuel economy will be artificially lower than it is in reality because of the odometer error. Figure out what that error percentage is and you can calculate that back into your mpg number. Your 205/50/17 is quite a bit larger than your OE tire so it will be off by a good amount.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  7. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We almost have the same setup except you have a bigger wheel and tire. Fancy a lightweight 16x7 instead? Didn't really affect my consumption even if my tires aren't LRR. tire is 205/50/16.

F8L likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that if larger tires threw off the odometer, they also changed the speedometer a similar amount. So if you drive at a set speed on the dashboard, you are actually traveling faster on these new tires than on the old. This also consumes more fuel.

So your computed MPG is taking at least a triple hit:
    (1) greater tire drag loss (real loss);
    (2) less indicated distance (apparent mpg loss only, not real);
    (3) greater speed (real loss).

F8L likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    without thinking about it, wouldn't the equation to adjust MPG be
    MPG (actual) = MPG (observed ) x (MPH (actual)/MPH (observed))

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No because odometer and speedometer errors are different.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  11. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm fairing ok with my 17" factory wheels with Toyo's. MPG has been going up ever since I bought the car.. started with 42mpg and now I think I'm around 47-48mpg! This improvement is due to break in and learning proper fuel efficient techniques.

KK6PD likes this.
  12. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First off this is an 08 so break in is not an issue. Now my stock size is 185-65-15. Stock wheels are 14lbs. I don't think I will suffer much with an enkei rpf1. If u don't have this exact rim of a similar lightweight rim please don't discourage me. 17" rims I am running now are 20+ lbs as most brands. I don't think a 205 series vs 185 series will effect mpg more than 1-2mpg tops. Weight however especially 6lbs per rim x 4 I could see. I would be happy w 46 mpg vs 42 now or my previous 49mpg. The easy formula I use says I'm getting .6mph better cause math is off with larger wheels. That is squat lol

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I keep thinking that if the mod's were not done in the first place, chances are the mileage would not have dropped. But that is water over the dam so to speak.

I don't want to sound rude, condescending or anything like that. The bottom line is you made the changes, and due to those changes the MPG suffered. It really is as simple as that. Since you don't want to go back to the "ugly stock wheels", you pretty much have to accept what you are getting.

As F8L pointed out above, you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

KK6PD likes this.
  14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    do note what tires you're running.

15. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the stock wheels in my garage it takes all of 15 min to go back. For everyone who says their mpg suffered 7-8mpg no matter what size or weight of rim is obviously failed math. Everything u do to your car has an explanation and formula. The new Prius has a 17" rim option you telling me toyota just said ah screw it we will change mpg to 38-43mpg lol. Please speak to me with intelligence as I do with all of you.

16. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  17. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I honestly don't see wheel weight as a big issue. While it might change suspension dynamics and perhaps slightly reduce your acceleration capability it shouldn't make a big dent in the mileage.

You're looking at about a 14% hit in mileage. If you were driving a 22 mpg car that would be the equivalent of a 3 mpg drop.
    Some of it might even out after the tires break in a little more.

18. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no way these oem prius 17" rims are lighter than enkei rpf1s. These rims I speak of are extremely popular in the drag race and auto cross community for this reason. I run these wheels on my 600hp wrx. Im saying I bet you I could get equal mileage with this rim or within 1mpg with a 17x7.5 and 205 50 17 tire. Hell the new prius comes with 215 45 17s

19. tunerPRIUS

tunerPRIUS Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to reset my fuel monitor and check tire pressure to make sure I don't have leak. Maybe Ill run 40-42 like most people do....problem is that its a bumpy ride at that psi especially being lowered with rubber bands for tires lol

20. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have you actually measured your new, lower mileage or is this from the car display? It could be that it hasn't been as hard a hit has it's seemed.

Good luck!