1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Humor me -- Replacing the BIG battery without gloves.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, May 1, 2016.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had no problems with my traction battery that I know of.

But, I am getting a little O/C about it. If it goes, I want to be prepared and will probably replace it -- and -- after reading/viewing posts here, I think it looks easier than some of the tasks I have taken on in the past several years -- want to talk about a pain -- try mouse-proofing the Prius. :sick:

Anyway, watching Three-Prong Paul's video, I notice he is not wearing any gloves. I also notice he is very careful.

The gloves are $125 or more -- yeah, yeah, I know -- but heck, take that off a local installer, well you know where I am going.

How many of you actually have bought and worn the gloves?

A few years ago, my husband was out of town and the circuit breaker for the hot water heater failed. We have some strange sort of electrical panel -- Split Buss or something -- you cannot make it dead -- it is always live. The guys at the local hardware store gave me dire warnings about even touching it.

I went to an electrical supply shop, the guy told me if I wasn't a dumbass, it was a simple fix, it was.

Thoughts? Suggestions for a poem to be read at my memorial service?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    alas, poor cyberprius, we hardly knew her.:unsure: fwiw, i have never heard of anyone dying while exchanging a prius battery. constant vigilance!(y)

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No poems necessary just yet my dear.

if your sweating it and its smart to start thinking about it..... be proactive.

Buy a hybrid battery charger from Hybrid Automotive and you'll get a few more years out of it. A "conditioning full charge" works. And once you install the battery interconnect charging dongle you can throw the charger on it willy nilly. I bought one recently from them but have not installed it.
    But I know it'll do what I need done. And there very responsive folks. My delay is I'm working on building a 200 volt dc Inverter dongle so I will be able to use the Hybrid Battery as a 200 volt Inverter DC supply. A never ending high voltage dc supply as long as my Prius has gas. The big one Lizabeth is coming to this god forsaken state sooner or later....without ac you will surely die.

But I digress....Like me your battery has not thrown any codes yet so is a Perfect candidate for charging. Mine is older than yours and no codes yet. Nothing beats the oem battery. Very high quality battery. Worth taking care of.
    Just like anything else you have to maintain it. But look who I'm talking too lol.....

Check them out:
    Hybridautomotive.com

cyberpriusII likes this.
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That could also be said about working on the Prius traction battery.

The Toyota repair manual advises the use of those gloves because the manual assumes that the typical mechanic doing that job does not have experience with high voltage systems. Hence to reduce liability, Toyota prescribes very extensive safety guidelines to be followed including the use of lineman's gloves.

It is certainly possible to kill yourself while working on the battery if you are determined to do so. However, if you remove the safety interlock and avoid touching high voltage with both hands (thus allowing an electric current to flow through your heart) you should be OK.

Also - instead of using those expensive gloves you could pursue an alternative approach. For example, using rubber gloves intended for washing dishes. Or latex gloves that you can buy at Costco. Although those gloves are not as effective as the lineman's gloves with respect to electric shock protection, they are better than nothing.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Two hazards--shock and arc. I wear latex or nitrile gloves under new leather gloves when I need to handle or work near a live wire. I wear safety goggles and cotton clothing as well. A Prius battery pack isn't an extremely hazardous energy source, but the DIYer still needs to be careful.

WilDavis and cyberpriusII like this.
  6. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Never worn 'em.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the event your effort goes south -- which I seriously doubt and seriously hope does not happen:

Stealing some lyrics from It Must Have Been the Roses, by the Grateful Dead:

<She> layed her head down in the roses
    She had ribbons, ribbons, ribbons
    in her long brown hair
    I don't know, it must have been the roses
    All I know is I could not leave her there

I don't know, it must have been the roses
    The roses or the ribbons in her long brown hair
    I don't know maybe it was the roses
    All I know was I could not leave her there

#7 Stevewoods, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    usnavystgc and cyberpriusII like this.
  8. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

9. f.s.prius

f.s.prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You could do what I did, let Harbor Freight solve the problem.

I used a combination of rubber blasting gloves inside leather work gloves. Less than $10.

Would I use these to work on high voltage power lines where I knew I was coming into direct contact? No.

But looking at the process the HV gloves seemed more like a CYA thing. I had no problems and relative peace of mind.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  10. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    As described above any reasonably insulating gloves will work. I mean, it's ~220V.

You can touch ANY part of the battery you want... with one piece of body. If you don't complete the electrical path, you can't get shocked. I make a habit of working with only one hand, or two hands touching the same tool. When I'm connecting/disconnecting the main +/- cables from the relays, I double check that no other part of me is in contact with the car. This precaution would only be necessary if two faults were to occur... HV leak at the battery, AND the 12V relay(s) stuck closed. Pretty remote chance of that... plus, I still check the main terminals for voltage AND the terminals on the other side of the main relays.

Toyota made it pretty hard to shock yourself unless something really goes wrong as I described above. Even then the safety plug removal cuts the voltage down by a good measure.

11. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    CPII, if you choose to go at without gloves, remember to removed any jewelry to minimize any arcing potential. It's similar to when I tell my daughters when we are buying purpose-built running shoes we're not going to the Ball here Cinderella, we are after fit and comfort. In your case we're looking for additional measures of personal safety for low to no dollars. I would say no gloves are fine but I would have a continuity tester to verify no power after the orange service plug is removed. .02

PS, Love your attitude towards maintaining your ride!

goldfinger likes this.
  12. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $80
    Gloves cost $60.
    Covers cost $20

It only takes one error to make it worth buying them.
    No one makes anyone wear safety gloves.
    Just like you don't have to turn off a circuit breaker to replace an outlet.

You'll be fine except for that one time you are not.

A business with employees is always going to tell them to wear the gloves.

If you did not have any time to buy gloves, or there was no gloves nearby, you could certainly do the job without them if you are careful and fully understand what you are doing.

13. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The guy who replaced my big battery has over 25 years experience with such batteries. He wears the high voltage safety gloves all the time.; when just replacing it and when working on one in his shop . . . $80 or so is cheap insurance. Accidents happen.

14. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Once again, you people have come through -- well, none of you offered to come and replace it for me, but O.K. I can live with that. :)

bisco: Your poetic skills need some help. I can do better and that is saying something! ;)

edthefox5: LOVE< LOVE<LOVE your idea about the charger. I am most likely going to order in two weeks (when my Visa goes to the next month cycle). Thanks much for the recommendation. (y)

Patrick Wong & andrewclaus & f.s.prius & S Keith & M in KC: Fantastic advice and support. I am going to go ahead and live a bit dangerously. A Harbor Freight opened some 40 miles away recently, so I will probably go for the blaster gloves, just because they are cheap, but I really think it can be done easily enough a'natural. Thanks so much

ericbecky & Eastside: Understand your positions. You are right, safety first is never a bad idea, but I seriously think Toy has overstated this danger....send contributions to your favorite charity if need be, O.K.? :eek:

Stevewoods: Saved you for last. I think you and my dad would get along. He's a DeadHead. I know the song and it is one of my favorites.

15. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Remember to remove the safety plug from the battery. Allow 20 minutes for capacitors in the inverter to discharge. Measure the voltage at the terminals, terminal to terminal and terminals to chassis, to confirm. Should be zero or a few fractions of a volt. Never create a circuit through your chest. Work right handed. Keep your left hand (heart arm) in your pocket not resting on the chassis. When lifting the battery wear leather gloves. Sheet metal is sharp.

Beachbummm likes this.
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your welcome Kris. Always enjoy helping you.

If you were even remotely close I would come help you as you are a pisser.

As far as shock injury goes most of the time the shock doesn't hurt or kill you its the reaction your body takes to avert the shock. That instant reaction of OUCH! Thats when you fall off the ladder or whip back and strike your head or break a hand recoiling. So be aware of whats behind you....relax...follow Keiths advice and don't make a circuit....

Pull the BIG ORANGE PLUG!!! And always WEAR PROTECTIVE GLASSES!!!!! please...

17. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    If you're a lefty, it's okay to flip the working/pocket hand.

Bolded for truth!

18. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    after installing newpriusbatteries, with some cheapo gloves, IMHO i would use some bigger, better gloves if i ever messed with a Prius battery again. for both the sheet metal slices and the electrical situation.

it seems to me that theoretically its pretty safe. but its one of those Black Swan situations - there is a very low probability of something bad happening, but that bad thing can be extremely catastrophic. it doesnt feel like working on a gasoline car replacing an alternator or something.

it feels more like the situation with a table saw - lots of people use them every day without injury, but even the safest most experienced woodworkers can have some bizarre distraction for a split second, and then they get injured, sometimes killed (see youtube).

cyberpriusII likes this.
  19. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Now you've done it. I absolutely HAVE to change the channel anytime one of those shows comes on that has skateboard accidents, etc that show arms and legs bending in unusual directions. Typical blood, guts, etc doesn't really bother me, but something about those appendage angles kills me. And now, after your post, I may have to add another category. It's killing me because I want to check it out, but at the same time I don't because it will be in my mind everytime I fire up the skill saw, bandsaw, lathe, and every other power tool I own. It wouldn't have been so bad if you didn't mention youtube. I hate you man......:(

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    With apologies to George Carlin, I've been noticing that everybody who takes more safety precaution than I do is an idiot, and everybody who takes less is a maniac. :)

I do own the gloves, and the protectors, and they are hanging in their bag, indoors, in a temperature and humidity-controlled clean part of the house.

I do not, however, use them enough to feel the necessity of sending them to a lab for yearly recertification, or replacing them on the official schedule as if I were using them in a business. I'd feel like an idiot.

I was curious enough one time to try to find info on the tests that would be done in a lab. If I remember right, one would involve filling the glove with water, suspending it in water, and using a megger-type tester to measure conduction between the water inside and the water outside. That would be a test that I more or less have the stuff to unofficially perform, if I wanted to check before using them, and not feel like a maniac.

cyberpriusII likes this.