1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery modules multiple bad

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by jimbfla1300, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jimbfla1300

jimbfla1300 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Prius Chaters,
    I have a 2002 with 130,000 miles. Exactly 2 years ago it started throwing all the bad codes that indicated HV Battery issues. With encouragement and advice from the great Prius Chat members I removed the battery, checked the modules and determined that only one pack needed replacement. The best $38.00 investment I ever made! Now it is acting bad again. Upon examination, I have 4 modules that read 6.18 to 6.77 vdc. The majority of the modules read between 7.26 and 7.54 with one at 7.08. Am I correct to assume I need 5 new modules? Is it normal to have this many modules reading out of spec? Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Nibras Yousaf

Nibras Yousaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Jimbfla
    I had the same issue and I replaced 6 modules but then others started to go bad. Battery has reached to its useful age. I had to replace the whole battery. I think you will put 5 more modules now and then few more will go bad. My suggestion is to replace the battery.
    good luck.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. jimbfla1300

jimbfla1300 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nibras,
    Thanks for the reply, I was afraid that might be the situation.

4. Nibras Yousaf

Nibras Yousaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Infact if you like to take on a fight call toyota and if you live in CARB state they will extend partial warranty of battery. I mean they will give you credit 1000.00 or so. I had Toyota dealer replace the battery for 2300. That way I was out only 1300.00. Call me I will give a receipt to show your local dealer or I can help ship one to you and you can have local toyota dealer replace it. Work must be down by Toyota dealer or TC will not pay 1000.oo
    Good Luck.

5. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just how long would it take you to remove the battery, remove the bad cells, replace the bad cells and reinstall the battery? For about $300, how long of a breathing time would that give you until you were in a position to buy an Gen 2 (or newer) battery?

If you could get another two years out of the 2nd cell replacement, would it be worth it to you? To me, it would be worth the expense and the time/effort to do the work.

#5 LEVE, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With respect, I disagree:
    In nature, many observations follow a 'Bell curve' in distribution:
    [​IMG]
    Usually there is one weak module that fails first. Replacing it simply means there is more time for next group of weaker modules to fail and this is what has been reported. Eventually, the weakness propagates until all but a handful of modules, remain. But every time there is a module failure and the car taken out of service means the normal, operational recharge mechanisms are missing, further weakening the remaining modules.

There comes a point where any part has reached its operational life. Fortunately, we have a lot of experience with understanding these traction batteries and replacement modules from crashed Prius remain in steady supply. Just find a credible rebuilder, one who screens their modules and ranks them by Ahr capacity to build a balanced pack. Expect to spend ~$2,000 and life is good.

Bob Wilson