1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Battery Replacement Ordered

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mcotten, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Mcotten

Mcotten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have the triangle of death. Called dealer and was told $4,200 - bring it in so we can pull the codes to be sure = $125.
    2005, 72,400 Miles - that is correct 72,400 miles. Replaced the 12vdc battery about 3 weeks ago after the first time we got the triangle. The light cleared and all was fine for three weeks. The car sat for a month without so much as a start up. Then I hit the button and got the triangle. I replaced the 12 battery and drove 50 miles over 2 days. Then the car sat unused for two weeks. I think that being idle is not good for a nine year old HV battery.

Wife drives to the store and the triangle is back. Plugged in the code reader "REPLACE HYBRID BATTERY" No other code reported.

After checking reviews, comparing prices, warranty, availability, I went with Green Tec Auto. Final cost after core return will be $1,490. 18 month warranty. Takes 5 days to get here via truck. Going to replace myself. I will post my results.

MC

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unless you're planning to sell the car in a couple years, with mileage that low, I would have asked Toyota for a "goodwill warranty" first. If they help out with 50%, you would get a brand new battery for around $2000 or less......and that should last you another 9 years.

It's good that you pointed out your experience with letting the car sit. I guess it's like a 12v battery that won't hold a charge. If you drive it daily, it won't develop problems right away. But if you let it sit for 2 weeks, it won't be strong enough to operate correctly.

So those of you that are nearing your 8/10 year battery warranty....maybe letting your car sit will develop a P0A80 code.

#2 JC91006, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. Mcotten

Mcotten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maybe I could have pushed it with Toyota but the service rep basically said I am SOL. I didn't want to invest $4,200 hoping to get some unknown amount back somewhere down the road. I read several articles about Toyota getting stingy with hybrid issues since they have so many $$ in recalls.

I do believe that not running current through the battery expedited the batteries demise. Corrosion builds on the plates and causes higher resistance, heat, and failure.

MC

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the dealers in fl seem rather inflexible.

5. EastR

EastR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    South FL? Isn't there an independent shop in Daytona Beach that will do HV battery replacements? I use ToyoWorks in Miami and they almost exclusively work on Priuses - highly recommended.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for posting. Please update when it happens. Which level of battery did you get? I'm thinking the refurbed, with some extra for shipping?

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FL does seem harder. Previous case had a female college student 1-day over warranty and no good will shown, and she was in the shop before the day of failure too. I guess we don't know ultimate outome but it wasn't looking good.

8. Mcotten

Mcotten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All done, running like new again. It took a little more than 2.5 hours thanks to DIY videos on YouTube. I have to tell on myself though.....after install I tested before putting car back together. Cleared code, hit the start button and said )$&/:mad:@ what's wrong? It's not starting up? Duh.....it's a hybrid, the gas engine does not start right away, like 1 to two minutes......lol. Dumb @ss.

Not sure if the rebuilt battery needs to be conditioned to driving habits but it appears to me it does. Mileage is improving each drive, 51 mpg best, and get green bars sooner than when first installed, drove 20 miles the first time. The reserve, sitting still, time also appears longer, about 20 minutes sitting with AC on before engine cranks up.

Biggest pain is receiving and shipping the battery. Comes stretch wrapped and banded to a pallet. Saved $125 having delivered to my office, loading dock. Charge $125 extra for home delivery. Had to buy stretch wrap and strap to pallet and have shipper pick up. Green-Tec-Auto deducts the return shipping from $500 core fee. Have not gotten my fee back yet so no comment but they said shipping is about $125. All in all.....well worth the effort. I videoed the process, plan to edit and put on YouTube, don't hold your breath.

MC

Mendel Leisk and Tony D like this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Brilliant. I hope you post that self-install video.

I do have one nit to pick though: the $4200 dealer offer presumably included installation, so an apples to apples comparison of battery w/ self install would have been more accurate -- and a lot closer in cost.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the update Mcotten. Could you please post regarding which GreenTec battery option you went with, ie: refurbed cells, all new cells, or all new cells with higher capacity.

11. Mcotten

Mcotten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True, sorry about that, intended to include...forgot. Basically dealer battery was new not refurb. $3,200 plus $1K, standard replacement, (no other issues) wanted $125 to diagnose and may need couple days to get a battery, didn't check stock when quoting me over the phone. Honestly don't remember the warranty but I think it was 36 months on the battery.

MC

12. Mcotten

Mcotten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I went with the 18 month battery, Green Tec says better battery than new with same warranty. They call it rebuilt, Per phone call, it's a combination of new and recertified cells. All cells are load tested and conditioned before assembled into the battery then the entire assembly is conditioned and tested again.

Paid $1,845 that includes shipping to me. Took 4 days after order to receive, shipped from KC, MO. The $1845 includes the $500 core charge. They will credit the core, less return shipping (est $125) after they get the core. Trucking Co picked up core Thursday 7-3. I'll be out of pocket $1,450 to $1,500 when done.

MC

Mendel Leisk likes this.