1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

HV Control Computer/ help please!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by KristenDoll, Aug 4, 2015.

1. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I had 3 lights come on. They master warning light, the check engine light and the hybrid system warning light. Since I live in south Alabama and the hybrid system warning light came on, I was forced to drive my Prius (2008, 117k miles) to the dealership. It drove fine, but it did seem like the battery wasn't charging as well as usual.

After calling the dealership a million times and getting the worst customer service ever, they finally told me that I need 2 new computers and may still need a hybrid battery. They said I needed the HV Control Computer and another one. (I just left a message to see if they would tell me model numbers and more details.) They quoted me $2077.59! They said one computer is $880.81 and another is $430.87, plus 5 hours of service. They would have to order parts from south FL. They said I definitely need both computers.

HELP!
    Can anyone tell me which 2 computers I need?
    Does anyone know model numbers?
    Can I really order these used parts on ebay? (Some start at $19.99!)
    Will Toyota put the used parts I order in for me?
    Does anyone know of a mechanic in south Alabama that works on Priuses/Pri?

If you can answer any of these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! it sounds like they are clueless, try another dealer or a hybrid battery rebuilder. all the best!(y)

KristenDoll likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's time to fire that dealer.

Think about it:

Most Priuses.....in fact nearly ALL Priuses manage to drive for years and years without a single "computer" failure....and now....suddenly....after YOU DROVE your car to the dealer, it can't be driven away until you spend thousands of dollars on parts because not one but TWO computers are inoperative?

Really??? :rolleyes:

If you drove your car there?
    You can drive your car away from there.........unless......they broke your car.
    Get a second opinion.

valde3 and KristenDoll like this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Call the dealer and ask for the part numbers that you need. Since they quoted you the price, they obviously have the part number.

I just don't like them stating 2 computers are bad for $2077 AND the HV battery MIGHT be bad too. Meaning, if $2077 doesn't fix your problem, then please give us another $4000 more for the HV battery. Hopefully by then, we'll get it right.

valde3 and KristenDoll like this.
  5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If in the end you really need to replace some computer (which is unlikely) you should get used one. They fail very rarely so used one from junk yard should be cheap, easily available and reliable.

KristenDoll likes this.
  6. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I called a junk place in closest bigger city near me, but they said they rarely get a Prius. Looks like there are a ton on ebay that may just take 4 days to get shipped.
    One of the dealerships said they would put used parts in, but they don't recommend it b/c the labor hours are so expensive. Just them saying that makes me think they would make it not work, even if it did, just to rip me off. (I may sound paranoid, but young ladies (and young men, too, of course) can get ripped off around here. There aren't a lot of options. Only dealerships know how to work on hybrids in my area. We are little behind on the times.)
    ????

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Before you go through all this trouble, when was the last time you changed the 12v battery on your car? Because as these batteries age and get old, all kinds of FLASE problems manifest themselves

8. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably about 2-3 years ago.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with houston hybrids, they may travel there.

there's 'prius battery repair' in huntsville.

pm members 'bwilson4web', he lives in alabama and may know some places.

#9 bisco, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it might be a good idea to ask the dealer to test that battery, while the car is still there. Many ECU problems occur when there is a weak battery.

11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Priuses aren't emerging technology They've been out for something like 15 years now.
    Generally speaking, if you live in an area that's large enough to have a Toyota dealership then you live in an area that's large enough to have independent mechanics that can work on hybrids....and in your post, you said "one of the dealer(S)...." indicating to me that there's more than one.
    Your car is seven years old, which means that there many Youtube videos out there and lots of information in places like this very web site that you can get guidance from.

This much I know:
    If you drove your car to the dealership, then there is a nearly 100-percent chance that both "computers" were working when you arrived.

Good Luck!

KristenDoll and valde3 like this.
  12. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everyone. So I just grabbed my car. I'm getting a 2nd opinion and maybe a 3rd. It drove decent. Going to take it to the bigger city's dealership. They agreed that it is rarely a computer problem.
    Does anyone know of a search engine where you can find mechanics capable of working on hybrids? I know it sounds silly but everywhere I've called said they do not have the technology and don't know anyone else who does. I'm asking people that I (and friends) trust.

13. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know they aren't emerging technology. Haha. There are 4 Toyota dealerships within the area. Each are about 45 min to an 1 away from each other. Didn't really want to drive that far, but should be fine. My car is running. I just wish I could find a local, independent mechanic here that works on Priuses. I have tried for years. Friends of mine have, too. I'm obviously not mechanically inclined or tech savvy. I know I'm a newb.

14. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two computers? Not likely, especially if you can drive it.

The HV battery can die, if you live in the heat of Alabama. The big battery just stays warm and also the humidity is not good for any connections.
    The first dealership was throwing parts at your car hoping to fix it. The dealer you want is the one that will provide you with something or show you what they have found. Experimenting with one's wallet is never good.

You could get a whole new HV battery for what they were quoting you. I hate dealer like that.

LG G3 T-MOBILE phone ☎

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Kristen,
    Can you call the dealer and ask them what codes they got from the diagnostic tool and post them here. Tell them you want codes and subcodes.

16. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for great advice.

17. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P0AC0

18. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I got to other Toyota dealership, service rep I was speaking with was gone for the day. The guy that was there said that since the lights are now off, he can't get the codes. He said since it drove fine, I should just keep driving it until warning lights come on again. He sent me home. ? Oh well. At least I only wasted $129 instead of $2k. I hope I don't break down on the side of the road...& I hope those computers last longer.
    If anyone knows this code, P0AC0, feel free to respond.
    Thanks again, everyone!

19. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. KristenDoll

KristenDoll New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model: