1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery dying - What are my options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris in Colorado, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Chris in Colorado

Chris in Colorado New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read through enough posts on here and other sites to feel a little queasy at the possibility of forking over $3,500 + to replace the dying hybrid battery in my 2007 Prius Touring Edition that I bought 2 months ago. Although it ran fine when I bought it, apparently I did not do enough due-diligence prior to paying for it. Hopefully someone can give me accurate (good) news regarding the warranty.

I bought the car used(2014) here in Colorado. non-CARB state

The car was originally(2007) purchased in California. CARB state

It has 145,000 miles on it.

Just replaced the auxiliary battery, serpentine belt and water pump at a Toyota dealership in California (road trip this past week.) This was after getting the red ! triangle, yellow check engine on the dash and red ! car on the screen. The Toyota technician said it didn't produce the correct error code to warrant the extended warranty. Paid $1k out of pocket.

Driving back on I-70 through the Rockies, the hybrid battery would not charge enough to drive up most of the summits forcing me to pull over, put the car in park, and wait for the battery to charge up while the engine was running. Charging it this way takes 10+ minutes each time and only charges to between 1/2 and 3/4 of the battery meter. Speed didn't seem to matter. I could drive the speed limit or 45MPH with my hazard lights on and still produce the same results driving uphill.

Some posts are saying if it was originally purchased in a CARB state, it's still covered under warranty in non-CARB states. Other posts say that it's not covered.

I did read that it can also depend on the wording in the warranty agreement of the year the car was made.

My questions are:
    - Is this 2007 Prius still covered under the extended-warranty, even though it's currently registered in a non-CARB state and what error code(s) does Toyota need to see in order to warrant the replacement of the hybrid battery?
    - Does it matter if I'm not the original owner to be eligible?
    - Has anyone had any success contacting Toyota Corporate HQ and pleading a case?
    - Where can I find the warranty information online?
    - If I do have to pay out of pocket for the new battery, what are my options for living in Colorado?

Thanks all for your time. Let me know if you need anything else.

Chris in Colorado

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can drive to CA and register the car there again. Then you will still be covered under warranty. If it's $3500 for a new battery, I would make the drive and do a temporary registration.

Triple AAA can do all that stuff for you in a few minutes. Then just drive straight to the dealership and get a new battery.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Calm down, you are probably way overthinking it. Not to say there isn't a possibility of a bad battery, but I know those passes, especially on I-70.

The Prius when driven properly will scale those passes at speed (80mph+). If driven like the majority of drivers do, you will lose speed and never recoup it. The Prius is just powerful enough to maintain speed on the I-70 passes with full throttle. Anything less you lose speed and no amount of throttle will allow you to gain speed above 50-60mph on most of the passes unless you already started above that.

Charging to "1/2 to 3/4" of the battery meter is exactly what it is supposed to do. The car wants the charge in the 3-6 bar range. Bars 7 and 8 it doesn't like. Bar 1 and 2 it doesn't like either.

Top it all off with the fact that going up a big hill and drawing huge power out of the battery only to go down a big hill and shove it back in super quick multiple times will make the battery very hot. When the battery is hot, it limits output power even further. A hot battery is an unhappy battery.

Considering 10 minutes of "idling" didn't produce a full green battery I would say your battery is actually doing just fine. The driver just needs to understand how the Prius works. When driving in the mountains, you floor the pedal up the hills. DO NOT take your foot off the accelerator for even a hesitation, because it will never regain speed. Obviously this is extreme, but those hills are extreme. We take our Prius up to Summit County nearly every weekend the resorts are open in the 6+ months of winter.

Silver Pine Mica and JimboPalmer like this.
  4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are you sure you even have a problem? On long hills, I've seen the battery get to two bars many times. There's no need to stop and force charge the battery, just keep going and it'll use the engine to pick up the slack. The car won't keep using the battery until it damages it. I've gone up many hills with the cruise at 75mph and it just chugs along, but like Toaster said, make sure you maintain your speed, because you don't have enough engine power to accelerate up steep hills.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about the problems. Perhaps you can call that dealership to retrieve the error codes for interpretation here.

I'm a little skeptical that the work done was relevant. Needed preventive maintenance perhaps, but very expensive.*

---
    As for Prius in the mountains,
    The advice given was right -- once the battery is discharged there is not a lot of engine power left to climb mountains and certainly not to gain speed. The trick is to avoid battery discharge to very low levels by accelerating early (best is before the incline) and then climbing the mountain with steady power demand.

The goal in mountain climbing is too keep the battery in reserve. Spend more of your TOTAL power budget for the climb early. The reasons are a bit obscure, but it works well.

* DIY preventive maintenance is easy on a Prius and saves a LOT of money. If you are inclined to do some of the work, this forum has oodles of help and tutorials.

#5 SageBrush, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what does the battery meter do on flat roads?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a good CO battery shop Boulder Hybrids (3ProngMike here I believe).

See my write up on CARB Warranty Ins-and-Outs: Toyota requires, in addition to vehicle being first bought and registered in a CARB state and normally driven in a CARB state, that you are currerntly registered in a CARB state and now normally drive in a CARB state...so I think you are going to have trouble there, even if you re-register in CA temporarily...but it's all 1-on-1 with Toyota so you can try your luck.

Bottom line, though, you just gotta be registered in a CARB state to get the 150k miles warranty. That's the first requirement, and then we can talk about the other special requirements Toyota has, but no manufacturer gives CARB coverage if you're registered in a non-CARB state.

CARB Warranty Ins-and-Outs (and In-Out-Ins) | PriusChat

#8 wjtracy, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have some great hybrid mechanics in Denver and Boulder.
    Are you near either of them?

I'm certain they can install a refurbished battery for under $3500.

Or if you need one sent for you to put in yourself I can always help out as well.

10. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Chris, can you please clarify something about this. Why exactly were you "forced" to pull over? I understand that the Prius can be sluggish on a climb after the usable battery charge is depleted, however it should still be drivable and capable of making the summit (albeit somewhat sluggishly).

Was it concern over damaging the battery by depleting it that 'forced" you to stop? Or was it concern about travelling too slowly (in relation to the speed limit) that made you pull over.

Please let us know exactly what the situation was. Thanks. :)

11. eblade

eblade Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey uart, or anyone else that wants to chime in.. bringing up running on depleted HV battery ... we noticed last weekend while we were stuck in a mile-long line waiting to get into a concert venue, that the car shakes a lot when we're slowly moving and the battery is in the purple zone. Is that kinda normal?

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah when I get stuck in traffic like that it's great for a while, with everything running on electric. After a while when it gets down to about 2 bars however, the engine has to kick in literally every time you want to move forward, even if it's only a few car lengths. The shaking was probably just the engine cutting in and out, or maybe also doing a fast idle to try and recharge the battery.

13. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A battery that is in failure mode can make the Prius nearly impossible to drive. Shaking, shuddering, or outright refusing to run at all.
    It's not like when your healthy battery is low, in these situations the battery is dying.

14. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    3ProngPaul that is.

wjtracy likes this.
  15. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey OP, if you have no warning lights on, just keep driving and learn the car. As for the mountains, just remember that it's a 75hp engine moving a heavy car.

uart likes this.
  16. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Another Coloradan here. I agree that it doesn't sound like anything's wrong. We've had three Gen 2's in the extended family since new and that's exactly how they are on the I-70 (and many of the other) climbs. The traction battery usually reaches minimum charge around 1/2-2/3 of the way to the summit, depending on how charged it was when the climb began and which climb you're on, and the car is pretty underpowered after that, acting like it's "slipping", etc. But there's no need to pull over. Just let it chug over the top (I like to keep the engine at around 3k rpm) and then recoup speed and charge after the summit.

17. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The smaller mountain passes that I often drive don't deplete the battery, though they're about 150m (500 feet) max elevation change (more like big hills than mountains). They are still big enough to "max out" the battery to full 8 bar SOC on the descents though.

Last year I took a camping trip and did a few mountain passes that were more like 700+ meters (2300 ft) elevation change, and these were a whole different ball game! These passes weren't high speed, just really steep with switchback type bends and only 70 to 80 km/h (45 to 50 MPH) speed limits most of the climb. Yeah my SOC just kept dropping, by about half way up I was down to about 2 bars SOC and it was very sluggish. I'd have to slow to about 35 km/h around the tight bends and then I just couldn't get my speed back to the speed limit on the straight sections, usually only making it to about 60 km/h before having to slow for the next bend.

I suppose it's fortunate that the mountain passes I drive are generally steep and winding, so the speed limits you're supposed to keep to are pretty low anyway.

BTW. Can someone who's familiar with the area "google earth" those I70 passes and let me know what type of elevation *change* we're talking about here.

18. eblade

eblade Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was -really- shaky when moving (very slowly) while the battery was drained. Not engine on/engine off, i mean it was ... really really shaky. i don't know what to compare it to. Engine on/off is barely even noticeable normally unless you're listening for it ...

19. taylor_priusII

taylor_priusII New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    On I-70 from Idaho Springs (already kind of in the mountains at 7555 ft) to the Eisenhower Tunnel (11,013 ft) is a 3,458 ft gain. From Denver to the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 is a 5,733 ft gain (but it's spread over about 57 miles). Bypassing the tunnel and going over the old Loveland Pass takes you to 11,991 ft.

uart likes this.