1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Recharge?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Linda L, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Ok, I did a really stupid thing. The 12v battery died in my 2002 Prius over last winter after the trunk wasn't shut all the way. I live 50 miles from the dealership (very rural area). Took me about 2 months to order and receive the new battery and then new terminal connectors for the battery. At that point, I took out the old battery, but couldn't get a nut loose on the positive terminal connection (widowed female here, and my guy friends never showed up) so I let the car sit, and used my other car. Until now (months later). Another friend offered to get the 12v battery installed (I did put it on a battery charger) and we did that today. But now I have main battery and hybrid system warning lights, along with the triangle. From what I can find on the internet, it seems the dealer can recharge the hybrid battery. Is that true? Or am I looking at replacing the hybrid battery pack? For reference sake , the car has 158K miles on the odometer. Fuel tank is showing one bar--would putting more gas in the tank help? (Manual says no gas can cause those lights). Help!

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wouldn't hurt to add more gas just to rule that out. The dealer can get a charger, but I don't know how much they would charge you for it. You might have to replace the pack, you might not. Really just depends.

3. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    How did you recharge the 12v battery? Did you use the special jump starting terminal under the hood or did you go direct to the battery. It can ruin the 12-volt battery and other components if you use too high amperage charger or jump. If one of your friends has an onboard diagnostic OBD II Tool, have them check the Diagnostic Codes to see if there's bigger problems than the 12-volt battery.

4. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This new 12-volt battery could also have gone bad sitting unused for months right after you bought it.
    If you can, take it to a mechanic and have them load test it to check it.
    Also, as far as the traction battery, the main battery, with that age and miles and months of non-use it could have weakened it to the point of needing to be replaced.
    The whole system relies on the 12-volt battery to run the brains of the car so I would make sure that you have a good 12-volt first.
    As far as recharging the Main HV battery, I don't think most dealers even have that very expensive piece of equipment. The HV battery is not charged to max capacity even when working properly. The car's goal is to hit 60% state of charge (SOC) and keep it close to that by many discharges and recharges when running.

5. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I used a battery charger and charged the battery out of the car on the 2 amp setting (the lowest.) When I first hooked up the charger, the battery read 75% charged, and I charged it until it read 100%.

6. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The HV battery State Of Charge may be too low to even start the gas engine. The HV battery, not the 12-volt, powers a motor generator to start the gas engine, so it may be too low to do that. Call your Toyota dealer and see if they have the ability to recharge the HV. You may have to have it towed there to even have them check the state of the HV battery modules. With their diagnostic tools, they can check the individual battery modules that make up the HV battery.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And what were your results when you tried to start it? Also, did you ever put fuel in the car?

8. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I get the main battery warning light, the hybrid system warning light, and the triangle. I did add about a gallon of gas to the tank. Didn't change anything. I am having it towed to the dealer today. Their Prius mechanic told me he thinks the battery should be ok. And he said they could recharge it if necessary. Says they have only seen two total battery failures at that dealership.

9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Let's hope for the best.

10. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Not my day. Dealership just called. Said they have tried everything to get the car to start, and can't get the hybrid battery to get past 1 volt. Quoted me $3600 for a new hybrid battery installed. I'm already in about $300 to them with towing and diagnostics. To my knowledge, no one closer than San Antonio (car is now in San Angelo) does the rebuilt hybrid battery replacement. I have to figure out what my options are at this point .

11. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you know exactly what they are offering for that $3600, brand new, remanufactured.
    HV Battery Replacement Options- I suggest visiting Luscious Garage website. They are awesome. Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 2 Prius HV Battery Replacement P0A80
    They work in California on a lot of Hybrids and especially high mileage Prius taxis. The link is their blog about the HV Battery Pack dependability and replacement options. Read the link long-winded discussion too.
    It may help you decide. If you like your Prius and it's in good shape other than the battery, it may be worth the $3600 to replace the HV battery. That amount doesn't get you much of a used car, but nice down payment on new.

12. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    $3600 seems like a lot to spend on a 2002. You might be able to order a rebuilt pack and have the dealer or another shop install it.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    See if you can contact EV_Cor who is an awesome Prius Friend and may have some insights to share. He is in the LA area. Of course Lucious Garage and Art's Automotive are good resources in the San Francisco area.

Bummer about the traction battery. If it 'discharge' down, it probably reverse charged a bunch of the modules turning them into useless. My understanding is reverse charging an NiMH is fatal.

Bob Wilson

14. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Linda L, I usually have a few rebuilt Gen1 batteries in stock in Boulder, CO for around $1200-1500 (not including shipping, require core exchange). They are a pain to ship but if you can find a local installer I may be able to help you out. Pmail me if interested. All my rebuilt batteries are installed in an actual car and driven at least 100-150 miles before shipping out of state.

15. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi Linda, sorry about the news. Here's my recommendation to you. Call the dealer and tell them you have located a battery and want to know if they will install it. Of course they will make statements like "we can't guarantee it" etc but, they will most likely agree to do it. Find out how much they will charge you (for just the install). In reality, it should be about $300 but the dealer will likely charge $500. Buy a used/rebuilt battery from Paul or a nearby source (I say nearby source because they are such a pain to ship) and have them install it. The total cost to you will likely drop to about $2200.

If you want to be real adventurous, you could install the battery but you would likely need help (just because its heavy). Ultimately, it comes down to what you're comfortable with and your budget. Clarks Auto Parts in San Angelo would be where I would check.

16. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks for all the help. Read the provided links, which made me a bit hesitant to go with a rebuilt. If I wasn't so remote, and if hubby were still alive, I might have done it. Logistics would be a nightmare. Called the dealership back, told them MSRP on that battery was $2299, so asked why was their quote for the battery $500 over that? They told me it was "usual dealer markup" but agreed to sell it to me at MSRP. With $500 knocked off the estimate, it should make the out the door price closer to $3K, and I can live with that. I am hoping that money will buy me another 100K.

17. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very sorry to hear of your problem but thank you for sharing it with us. As a new to Prius owner, I always appreciate information that may save myself and others from going thru what you are going thru. Something as simple as leaving a hatch ajar wouldn't be expected to cost $3k in most average cars but it seems this is one of the risk of owning a Prius. I hope that this will completely fix your problem and that the other electronics are not ruined, as Bob Wilson mentioned may be the case. Please keep us updated.

18. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Jeffrey, let me clear up a few things. The trunk being left ajar did not kill the hybrid battery. It did kill the 12v battery which starts the computer and tells the hybrid battery to start the gas engine. The fact I let the car sit for several months without using it is what did the hybrid battery in. The ten year old hybrid battery was not strong enough to just sit for that period of time. And if I understand BWilson correctly, the discharge hurt modules in the hybrid battery, not modules elsewhere in the car.

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Jeffrey,

The "modules" Bob spoke of as being damaged by reverse charge are components of the hybrid battery itself (there are 38 of them). It's not very likely that anything else has been damaged.

This story isn't really an example of leaving a hatch ajar costing $3k. The hatch left ajar discharged the 12-volt lead-acid battery, as it would in any car, and a fully discharged lead-acid battery in winter in any car is likely to need replacement (low charge state allows electrolyte to freeze at winter temps ⇒ internal damage).

The more unfortunate thing here is that the OP didn't get around to replacing the (less expensive) 12-volt battery for apparently over half a year, and didn't start the car that whole period, allowing the NiMH hybrid battery to severely self-discharge. That is a thing that NiMH batteries do if left uncharged over half a year or more, and so that definitely is a thing you need to keep in mind with a Prius. It's mentioned in the owner's manual but I'm sure a lot of people skim over it. You'll never need to know it as long as you drive the car regularly. It's just if you have plans to be away for many months, for example, you do need to make arrangements for someone to come start it every several weeks. There's no need to drive it anywhere; just let it sit in READY mode for half an hour or so (outdoors or with good ventilation so exhaust won't build up), then turn it off till next time.

-Chap

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Linda,

I'm not taking any pleasure in your misfortune, but just to be clear, lack of charge for that long can do in even a brand spanking new NiMH battery. Even rechargeable AAs, etc., you use around the house had better get a charge every several weeks or they're likely to be bricks when you need them. (Exceptions are those like Sanyo's Eneloop that are specifically marketed as "low self-discharge"; even those are best topped up at least once a year.)

Best of luck with your repaired car,
    -Chap