1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replaced Noticed Warranty Changed to 15 year 150,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Valencia Orange, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just had my hybrid battery on my 2006 Toyota Prius replaced under warranty at 95,225 miles. I knew the hybrid battery in California had a warranty of 10 years or 150,000 miles.

When I got my car back and looked at the receipt, I noticed the battery now has a warranty of 15 years or 150,000 miles. I thought my warranty on the new hybrid battery would just follow for the remainder 10 years or 150,000 miles warranty.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That's surprising. This was on your receipt???

It should be 10 years/150K miles or if you have little left to none of the warranty left, I'd think the part itself would be good for 1 year/12K miles after replacement.

3. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes I am looking at the receipt now.

It says, Authorize HV Battery 15 year 150,000 miles

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I suspect that note is just Toyota's authorization of the replacement under warranty. My understanding is that all replacement parts carry a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty.

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Probably just a typo.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed.

7. doomteam1

doomteam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the hybrid battery in my 2004 car with 113k miles goes out within the next year they will replace it free? or how does that warranty work?

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I would think it is under warranty (free repair/replacement) as long as it is within 10 years and 150K miles (since the original sale of the car), no matter how many times the battery needs to be fixed or replaced.

9. doomteam1

doomteam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Straight From The toyota website.

HYBRID WARRANTY

[​IMG]
    Our hybrid vehicles have set the standard for technology, efficiency and drivability. We think the world’s most popular hybrids should have the warranties to match.
    On top of our basic coverage, we offer:
    Basic Coverage [1]

36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).
    Hybrid-Related Component Coverage [1]

Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner’s Warranty Information booklet for details.
    Powertrain Coverage [1]

60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system and rear-wheel drive).
    Rust-Through Coverage [1]

60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal). Emissions coverage: Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Warranty & Maintenance Guide booklet for details.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Yes, but the manual outlines longer warranties on the HV battery, emissions, etc. depending on the state.

11. doomteam1

doomteam1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmm when i get my car back from the dealership ill read it, thanks

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Since you're in CA, it'll discuss the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty, 15 year/150K mile CA emissions warranty and so on. Some hybrid components are also warranted for well beyond 3/36K and 5/60K. It's all in the warranty booklet.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just to be clear, the clock doesn't reset on the part replaced under warranty. You'll get the balance of the original warranty or 1 year whichever is longer.

14. tristan91

tristan91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What kind of driving style do you drive, and do you think it led to the demise of battery?
    What kind of symptoms led you to believe the battery was bad?

15. DJCA

DJCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery Failed=driving down freeway, suddenly lights on dash flashing & virtually no power. 106k miles, 5 years old. Now in the process of starting to try to get owner reimbursed for battery, as AZ dealer incorrectly charged owner for new battery while it was still well under Toyota 10 year/150k warranty ( car VIN was ABSOLUTELY CA qualified, purchased and continuously reg'd in CA by orig owner/driver, failed on road trip. Suspiciously, dealer reported visit as only "change oil and safety test drive"...???? )

16. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmmm yes that sounds very suspicious! Did the owner at least get a proper receipt from the dealer for the replacement battery?

BTW DJCA, just wondering. If you are not the owner or driver then what is your relation to this car. Is it a friend's or family member's car?

17. DJCA

DJCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Family member's car, just became mine. This started me looking through the forums, discovering warranty issues, and realizing battery should have been replaced under warranty by AZ dealer. Fortunately she had the original receipt and CC records. We HAD already noticed the Carfax weirdness, but just chalked it up to "odd stuff that happens sometimes". Will find out Tues what AZ dealer's response will be; it COULD be an honest mistake in an non-CARB state, in which case it should be relatively easy to fix - Toyota Motors refunds the $ that she shouldn't have had to spend in the first place and we are all good.
    Good news is I still have the rest of the 150k warranty on it, since it is STILL, and always has been, a CA continuously reg'd/owned/operated vehicle. Hopefully car will be trouble-free & I won't need the warranty for 2 years/25k miles anyhow!

18. DJCA

DJCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    4 min 15 second call to service manager in AZ, & he is contacting Toyota to figure out how to arrange refund (*grin!!!*)!!!
    They SHOULD have looked up warranty in the first place with a CA reg/plates/driver, but at least they seem to be making good on it now, cheerfully and without a fuss! Carfax issue may have just been an oversight.

19. DJCA

DJCA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Relative should be getting a $3,000 refund check from Toyota Motors in about a week! Hoorah!
    Toyota dealer service managers were great!

uart likes this.
  20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good result DJCA. Your relative should be very thankful that you were on the ball there and saved them a lot of money. :)