1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid battery replacment options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ThatOnePrius, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ThatOnePrius

ThatOnePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We added a new prius to the family.

Bought a 2005 Prius with 150,000+ miles. Runs great! Only problem is the hybrid battery is bad! Car runs constantly on the ICE, hybrid blower fan/vent always runs. The screen rapidly builds up charge but looses it quickly too.

Triangle of death, check engine, light VSC, ABS, Brake lights on, ect.

Should we just buy a NEW OEM hybrid battery from Toyota and install ourselves? How much does one cost. What is the warranty you get when you buy one from a Toyota dealership?

2nd option is buy a Dorman remanufactured hybrid battery. From what I've been reading it's hit or miss how long it will last(3 year warranty) but many people are have to replace it withing months after the install.
    The good thing I seen, is I believe someone said, Dorman uses the 3rd gen cells, when they rebuild the batteries.(can anyone confirm this)

3rd option, I see remanfactured hybrid battery that has the 3rd gen cells installed from a 2012 prius. Isn't this the same thing Dorman does?

What is the best choice. This prius will be used for Daily Driving.

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Where is central Texas?

3. ThatOnePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. jeff652

jeff652 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fix it yourself for ~$400-500? If that's an option you want to consider, give us a call Monday and we can tell you how. 800-589-0730 :)

Kristenmcg likes this.
  5. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Prius,

If you want my advice go with a new battery.

I own Texas Hybrid Batteries out of Fort Worth. We can deliver and install a factory new battery in your car for $2200 and give you a 4 year warranty. It sounds like you want to keep the car around and this is the permanent fix.

Matt
    Texas Hybrid Batteries
    www.texashybridbatteries.com
    817-629-8394

#5 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. ThatOnePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Matt,
    This sounds like the route I would like to go. I assume you will travel to Waco, Tx and install the new factory battery for $2200?

7. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Waco is in our normal service area and $2200 is the total price on the new Gen 2 batteries. I will PM you and get your information.

Matt

usnavystgc and wjtracy like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is a phenomenal deal! best i've seen by far.(y)

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably want the new Toyota batt if you can swing it (eg; from Matt) as it is much more reliable and should improve value of the car.

Too bad Matt is not in all 50-states! In another thread @Grus has been giving us some raw battery costs from Toyota Japan, and it is cheaper than the quotes we get from US dealers, but the dealers have to incur shipping charges and things, I assume.

#9 wjtracy, Apr 24, 2016
  10. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Matt. If I understand everything correct, you are putting yourself at risk for three additional years.

New, genuine OEM, Toyota HV Battery not installed by a Toyota dealership have a one year/unlimited mileage warranty.

When a new HV Battery is installed by a Toyota dealer, 3year/unlimited mileage warranty.

Since you aren't a Toyota dealership, you are providing 3 additional years, at your expense, should the HV Battery fail, between years 2-4. Granted, failure in that time frame will be very low, and likely never have happend so far for you (hopefully so).

You must be getting these batteries way lower than Toyota dealers who sell online. Cheapest I have seen is $2071. I'm guessing your cost is $1,000-$1,300, to still be profitable on your end. Sure wish I could get close to your pricing.

How come you aren't setting up shop in California (Northern Cal &/or Southern Cal), the largest Prius market? Any plans to expand out here?

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Grus was closer to $1500 in the Toyota Japan pricebook.

12. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Exstudent,
    You are correct on the warranty. Our company does pick up the 3 additional years past the Toyota warranty. Believe me I'm really not taking a risk, the new batteries will last far beyond any warranty that we are offering. As a precaution we do thoroughly inspect every car that we work on to make sure that everything else is in good working order. If in the event we sold a new battery and it failed under warranty we would eat the cost of a new pack for that customer.

Most of the online suppliers are priced at cost +10%. The problem is the shipping to get the battery and the cost to return the core will pretty much eat up your savings. We have a wholesale volume price agreement with Toyota which allows us to buy new packs locally for less than most of the online sources and we don't incur any shipping costs. As far as our profit on new batteries, there's almost none. We make our money on our rebuilt batteries but we recognize that some Prius owners want new batteries so we provide them. Our labor time to prep and install a New battery is a little over an hour. Only Toyota would charge a $1000 for one hour of work, not us. :)

Unfortunately no, we are a family owned local company and it will most likely stay that way. Sorry
    With that being said I am always more than willing to sell anybody a new battery who is willing to come and pick it up. Anything I can do to help a Prius owner save some money I will do.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To my knowledge we have absolutely zero - totally none - no reports of Toyota replacement batts going bad in the USA here on Prius Chat. In other words, nobody has reported 2 new Toyota batts fail in the same vehicle. Near 100% success rate of the genuine Toyota new repalcement batts, as far as we know.

We do have one member from Israel (Gen2) who said his wife ran out of fuel and HV battery and killed a new Toyota HV replacement battery.

#13 wjtracy, Apr 24, 2016
  14. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    As of 2013 CR survey, 0.3% of 2009 Prius needed a new battery:

Ignore the title of this article

It is very reasonable to expect a comparable failure rate for any four year time period since new.

Poor Matt may have to eat 1 out of 333 packs.... :)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would it be reasonable to compare 4 year rate to seven?

16. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Not sure why your're asking that question.

The 0.3% replacement rate is for 2009 model year as of 2013. That's 4 years. We're talking about Matt's 4 year warranty. One would expect Matt to have to replace 0.3% of the new packs he installs.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sorry, i missed the 2013 part.:oops:

18. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    bisco likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    be patient with me, i've reached the age of senior discounts, aarp membership, social security and vigara.

20. ThatOnePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Matt,
    Thanks again for installing the new Toyota Hybrid battery on my dad's 2005 Toyota Prius. Matt from Texas Hybrid Batteries went above and beyond today. He arrived at my work and replaced the old hybrid battery. He ran a diagnostics and found that battery cell/module #11 was bad. I highly recommend giving them a call for any battery replacement or service call.

Matt you really know a lot about the prius! I gained some knowledge today! He got the prius back and running like new again! It was worth every penny! Thank you so much!

If my 2006 Prius hybrid battery ever fails, I'll will be giving them a call.

Brian Hurst, bisco and wjtracy like this.