1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Battery Sometimes Goes Down to Two Bars: Is This Normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fosta, Jul 11, 2014.

1. fosta

fosta New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a new Prius owner and don't know if this is normal. Sometimes after being parked for a while and restarted, the icon shows the battery is down to 2 bars. It charges back up after a mile or so of driving. Also if I sit and idle for a while, the battery will drop down, and once going thru a car wash (car in Neutral), a message came on the screen that the Tractor Battery was in trouble (I don't remember the exact words). When I put the car in gear and drove off, the message disappeared and the battery charged up. What's the deal?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I urge you to not use N. The car cannot recharge the big battery in N. (I also urge you not to use ACC but always be in READY, but that is to protect the little 12v battery)

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  3. fosta

fosta New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Message Received, Jimbo! I'll never use N again! But the first part of my question still stands. The battery goes down (sometimes) when the car is in Park and turned off for a while, and also (sometimes) when in P and sitting still. Normal?

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen it go that low. I consider it the bottom range at which point the ICE needs to start a charge cycle.

5. ibmoses

ibmoses Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car has to be in N going through Car Wash.
    Mine does the same as you describe, I hope its normal.

Once I had to leave it running for an hour or so in direct sunlight in P with AC on full blast.

ICE would kick on, charge to three bars, ICE kick off till the two bars were purple for a while then ICE back on...repeat....

Jim Bob Khooter and xpcman like this.
  6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

7. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As noted above, the system will try to keep the battery above 2 bars. During warmup, it will continue to charge the battery even above 3 bars. It will also charge at higher speeds when the engine has excess capacity.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Low speed driving, especially up an incline (think parking garage), will run it down to two bars for us, without fail.

But if you're parking with semi-high state of charge, and coming back to it depleted, not sure.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    #9 JimboPalmer, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  10. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No longer than it takes to go through a car wash, putting in neutral should not be a concern. I do it all the time with no warning lights and no problem.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In hot conditions with heavy AC use, the AC can drain the battery quickly. If too hot to shut off the AC, then look at the battery meter before entering the car wash. If it is too low, either skip the wash, or do something to boost the battery charge first. If you don't want to drive around, then Search for threads about 'forced charging'.

In the 'frontwoods', that system (stationary car, moving apparatus) lacks adequate throughput for the local market. Here, the apparatus remains stationary, while the assembly line of cars is pushed through on a moving track.

ibmoses likes this.
  12. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP: 2 bars is very common here (desert driving) since the electric compressor really sucks the juice out of the HV battery. Your car's regulator (ECU) will take care of it and should just run the ICE until more bars appear. If not, get a dealer to check out the systems.