1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid market share changes 2010-2012YTD

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drinnovation, Sep 16, 2012.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Yes, maybe China will bomb Japan and then Toyota will not sell 1.2 million hybrids this year :).

Are you trying to suggest that Toyota wont sell 1.2m hybrids? Based on what? As we can see here, they already sold 650k in first half of 2012.

As to the sales thread, worldwide market is very important for the future of Hybrid vehicles. Looking at just American market is useless, manufacturers are not isolated to the country. Same goes for EV sales, as R&D costs are spread by every sale, no matter where it is done.

Of course, I think few of you are trying to pass GM as being an winner here, which is simply... ridicilous. As I said before, Volt plant is idled due to poor sales and mild hybrids they have are so horrible they better not have them for the sake of future hybrid sales.

But sure, put your head into ground and dream how GM is going to be #1 again. lol.

2. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't think my state, Virginia, is a CARB state (although my information might be incomplete). PiPs are available here and have been available via pre-order since January 2012, with delivery starting in April.

3. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless Toyota starts building the Prius in the US, I probably won't consider another Prius, or PiP.

ProximalSuns likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    CARB States

California
    Vermont
    New Jersey
    Connecticut
    Oregon
    Washington
    Rhode Island
    New York
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Pennsylvania
    New Mexico
    Florida
    Colorado
    Arizona
    Utah
    Maryland

And Northern Virgina?

5. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We do have yearly VDOT emissions tests here, except for hybrid/EV cars. However, we don't have the California-style evaporative recirculation "rubber bellows" hoses on gas pumps that seal to the tank before gas can be pumped.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Virginia did have HOV access for hybrids previously. Toyota may have been expecting it again for plug ins.

7. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good point supporting the technology and supporting US jobs. If the CMAX had been available 6 months ago, I'd be driving one. Had I talked to electrician earlier about running 300 feet of outdoor cable for charging, I'd be driving a Volt. Next car will be US made plug in in 2015.

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As I clearly stated, this is a US thread, and you are free to open a world wide one, but your points seem to come out of thin air. Wth. Why are you talking about bombing. Nothing you posted said anything about bombing. I assume you are trolling as you always do.

I will bet you that toyota will fall short of selling 1.2M hybrids in the 2012 calendar year, and IMHO more is better. Will you take that bet, if they fall short of your assured number, will you stop following me like a stray dog on these threads.

Well as pointed out to you numerous times. The gm plant is idled to add a different car line, and volt has high sales for the volt. Again, repeating false information on your part just makes you look small and pathetic.

Again, I don't know where your drug addled brain has been. I expect VW to be number one in world wide sales in the future. Those are the trends, and this despite the fact that they have weak hybrid offerings. IN the US hybrid market, you know the one this thread was about, toyota looks to have dominant market share, but it will likely fall as the competition improves. Honda has fallen off the map, gm and hyundai is charging, and ford has products to make something of a comeback.

9. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Austingreen, what will YOU do when you end up being wrong? Just curious. The ad hominems are really classy, I must say.

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Personal insults... great.

p.s. Toyota rarely is short of their goals. This is why they are world's most valuable car maker. And GM is almost always wrong hence their stock being so low these days. Investors dont like being told funny stories.

They sold 80,000 Prius's in July 2012 alone:
    28 Toyota Prius 34,374
    38 Toyota Prius c/Aqua

92 Toyota Prius a/+/v 15,452
    http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/09/22/world-july-2012-discover-the-top-150-best-selling-models/

But hey, continue living in your imaginary word.

You are welcome to post in the Volt $10k discount thread as well:

p.s. I am definetly not following you, however you keep spreading so much propaganda, it is hard not to react to posts of rosy world where Volt is doing great and GM hybrids are doing awesome.

I kept saying 6-7 months ago that Toyota will sell over 1mil hybrids and you thought i would be wrong... but unlike your imaginary numbers and reasons for Volt's poor sales, I always check the facts first.

Masks have fallen after years of subtle trolling. These threads have proven that. We have at least 10 members posting here who would wish Toyota falls off the cliff and keep spreading their fud and propaganda... on Prius site. lol.

lensovet likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't go back to buying american just because. if they make a good car, i'll test drive it. but i have been the guinea pig for way too many american manufactured cars over the years. while i was trying to support them, they were shlepping me the worst made cars on the planet. the only reason they are better now than they were is because of foreign competition.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First I would be pleasantly surprised, but what would you like me to do. I would be happy with a counter offer.

What I would like is for said person not to continuously make stuff up as to my position. I have tried to be clear, and I don't find objective data pro or anti a car company. The us sales figures are what they are. No reason to change the subject to some global figures on this thread. No need to claim anything that isn't 100% pro toyota, and anti us auto companies is a slight and propaganda. Certainly there is room for a US hybrid and plug-in thread.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Washington DC is carb, and Toyota is selling them in the DC area of Virginia.

Texas and Illinois should be in the top 5 states for plug-ins, and are not included in the initial market for the prius phv, as they are non-carb. There is definitely some sales being left on the table from these states, but toyota is hitting a large percentage of the market with the states included for the phv.

lensovet likes this.
  14. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What are your thoughts on an American built Toyota?

Would you buy a Prius manufactured in the US ?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would definately buy one made in the u.s., my wife's hycam was made here and has been great for 5 years and 55,000 miles.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not against buying american, in fact, i'm all for it. i just want decent value for my money and i think american hybrids need some more reliability history before i'd be willing to throw 30 or 40 thousand dollars at them.

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I know I am baiting you with these questions but I also want to understand....

Does "american hybrids" mean those designed by Americans? or?

You have already stated you are ok with Toyota hybrids assembled by Americans.

What do you consider to be "decent value for my money" when comparing an "american hybrid" to a "Toyota hybrid"? initial price, total operating costs, etc ?

Btw, I think we share many of the same reservations. I leased an "american hybrid", so far so good.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My interest is in market share of automotive sales. To have an effect on fleet efficiency, the proportion of fuel efficient vehicles must increase but the trend lines do not look good:
    [​IMG]
    We continue to see hybrid sales hitting a 3% ceiling. Sure, the number of models and their quality has increased and they are providing an important boost. But if nothing is done in the light-truck market (i.e., pickups, service vans,) this will remain a hard limit.

Looking at the market:
    • efficient hatchbacks - great penetration
    • efficient sedans - good penetration
    • performance luxury - OK penetration, Lexus
    • light duty trucks - nothing
    Bob Wilson

austingreen and drinnovation like this.
  20. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is why government regulation mandating higher fleet MPG is required and much more aggressive regulation. Inefficient use of oil is killing us, literally with 100,000 US oil war casualties, millions of health issues and deaths and economically $1T a year in oil war costs, oil trade deficit costs and the opportunity costs of schools, science, jobs lost.