1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid market share changes 2010-2012YTD

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by drinnovation, Sep 16, 2012.

1. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Nice data thanks.. Does this include PHEV/EVs.. since they might attract some of the same buyers some of the 2012 dip might just be a segment shift.

The truck/van was the goal of two-mode, which worked a bit but not in the end I don't think its about costs - its about perception. I tried to get my cousin-in-law, who uses trucks for his HVAC business, into hybrids, figuring I could show him the TCO over time actually works, and to my surprise his concern was more about image for his business. He wants big diesels because they portray what he want to say about his company. When I showed him the TCO difference his comment was that he would have to spend way more in outreach and advertising to make up the image difference he feels he gets with "powerful work trucks" that are what the construction people respect.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not at this time. The PHEV/EVs remain a fraction of hybrid sales and even "clean" diesels are still pretty small. But in reality, it was late and I had to get up early. Maybe a future version but I wanted 'fast.'

They didn't do cost very well either as for performance . . .

I'm pretty sure the duty cycle of light trucks requires a different approach than our current hybrid-electrics. Perhaps hydraulic-hybrid or some form of hybrid that does not have an EV capability but rather aims at efficient engine operation in and of itself. Something as simple as regenerative braking for a single acceleration.

I'm also reminded of the Silverado hybrid, one of GM's less bad, micro-hybrids. It had a terrific, 3 kW AC capability but it was driven by the full-size engine. That is way over-kill, a mismatch between the engine and generator.

It is an interesting technical problem but I don't see a good solution yet. Still, I keep looking at all of the US Postal vans and I see that fleet as the perfect approach to introduce light-truck, hybrid (or fuel efficient) technology.

Bob Wilson