1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid sales look like they surged in March

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Lol, how can selling 0 ML450's be a 27% improvement for Mercedes?

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Fusion, C-max, Accord as well as ESh and GSh should all help the market share go over 4% at some point this year.

Are there any other hybrids that we know off, coming in next 6 months or so? I think Rav4 is potentially big seller, but that wont be out until next year.

For more than 5%, Ford and Honda need to start selling a lot more hybrids, in March 79% of hybrid sales were Toyota/Lexus and thats really too much. There needs to be competition.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fusion sales are disappointing. The 2013 model should do better.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm actually surprised they are as high as they are. The new design looks much better for those willing to wait, and the current one is much more expensive than the camry/sonata/optima for those that want to buy now. Ford could start producing more and discounting them to be price competitive, but I think the current design is more expensive than the 2013. So I agree if the 2013 is priced right it should sell well.

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny math. I think its -100%, the SUV is discontinued, but they may have a few sitting on lots.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The situation with Toyota being so dominant is a little crazy and disturbing.

Honda won't sell many hybrids. Insight and CR-Z are toast. HCH not well, but not sure why.

Ford still running commercials with baldy talking about Fusion hybrid getting 3 times the fuel economy of something else. Guess he's referring to his F-150.

Funny, that Andriotis lady mistakenly referred to 'hybrid' sales under 30k units .... little did she know that number describes the Prius family which btw was ...

#6 of all car,trucks, SUV for March 2012

It was

F series
    Silverado
    Camry
    Altima
    CR-V
    Prius

...and so on

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    HCH is being smooshed by the prius on one side and the TCH and Sonata Hybrid on the other. The new lower prices for the midsize hybrid sedans are a lot more car for not much more money. If you care about the difference in mileage then the prius beats the HCH on the other side. Even worse for the civic hybrid, you can get a cruze or focus with stick that are cheaper and more fun to drive but not much worse highway mileage. So its not as good of a hybrid as the prius, much less powerful then the Camry hybrid, and not as fun to drive than the focus. Two years ago the 44/44 honda civic hybrid would have sold well, but competition has been stepped up.

I can't imagine anyone picking a insight over a prius c, but I'm sure somebody will.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Camry hybrid out sold the best selling Diesel model (Jetta). It more than doubled the Passet TDI. Sonata hybrid pretty much tied with Passet TDI.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The camry hybrid rose to12.7% of camry sales
    The sonata hybrid was 9.0% of sonata sales

10. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i think in reality, with hybrid sales going into mainstream, with more and more models coming out, people are/will not chosing hybrids just to buy hybrid, they will buy it because they like Camry, and the like efficient Camry (hybrid)... just like they like Sonata and will like hybrid one, etc, etc.

Very much like diesels in Europe... you dont buy Passat to buy a diesel in Europe, every car has a diesel optionS, you buy it because you like Passat.

So in reality, buyers buying Camry Hybrid are not going to cross shop it with hybrids only, they are cross shopping it with every other car in the price range.

No matter how nice Camry Hybrid or Fusion Hybrid are, not everyone will want Camry or Fusion.

and this is why i keep nagging about investment - if you are going to invest seriously into hybrids and ev's, then you will do a lot of R&D yourself, and that will ultimately lower the price of your product and make you able to compete with Toyota.

If this situation with 80% hybrids being Toyota continues, it will actually stall innovation as Toyota will not be motivated to spend a lot of money on new technologies but it will continue milking what they got.

So thats why we need everyone spending money on research and not buying off the shelf products.

11. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add to that the bad publicity from that lady who won the small-claims court suit against Honda for the poor performance of her HCH, plus the drubbing from the press on the quality of the latest generation of Civics, the HCH has become the laughingstock of hybrids.

Honda is moving towards a 2-motor ECVT (planetary gearset?) full-hybrid system for their upcoming Accord PHV, which would be a step in the right direction. All they have to do is adapt that system into the Civic and make it affordable, then Honda might have something that can actually hope to challenge the Prius.

12. mpb

mpb ção

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three