1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Synergy Drive Phase... So only little HV Battery Uses?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger T, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The above list is from wikipedia of Hybrid Synergy Drive. Hybrid Synergy Drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am surprised to see that, in most phases, the HVB does not directly supply power to MG2 to drive the wheels. HVB only supplied power to MG2 only in full EV driving & Full power or gradual slowing phase. In other phases, the power from MG2 is directly fed by MG1.

So basically HVB is used only in slow speed, and full throttle acceleration? I would be surprised to see that.

What do you guys think?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think that converting mechanical energy to electrical energy to chemical energy then back again loses over 30% of the energy, so you want avoid that.

The battery is used when the engine simply can't make enough energy, and when the engine is most inefficient, mostly low RPMs.

Anytime you have done lot of regenerative braking, the computers need to use that energy soon so you have room to absorb more braking energy. This is why the battery rarely fills, you want room for more braking.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think i can get 65 mpg. that's good enough for me.:p