1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hybrid Traction Battery Die Fail Warning Light replace but still good MPG efficiency?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maceo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. maceo

maceo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    image.jpg

I had to replace my 2005 big hybrid traction battery last year, with about 160000 miles on it.

(As the stories go, I had been seeing more rapid or volatile charging and discharging of the battery on the MFD screen and my overall fuel efficiency had dropped from the typically high 40s to the 30s. Then one day the car went into "limp" mode, no acceleration etc., with the hybrid -warning- car outline with the exclamation point in it - light on. The dealer said that a couple of cells in the battery had failed and I needed a new battery for about $3000 installed.)

I also can mention that I do live in a hilly area with 6 minutes of moderate climbing back up to my house on every daily drive. I'm in Ottawa, Canada, with cold -10F Winters and warm +80F Summers.

I replaced the battery with a reconditioned one from a local supplier for $900 installed. It worked for afew weeks and then failed. The supplier replaced it twice more before it "took" and seemed to work normally.

Now, a year later, the hybrid system warning light has come back on, but the battery cycling seems normal and I'm still getting good fuel efficiency up at the high 40s.

Any thoughts on what else it could be or what's going on?

#1 maceo, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to get the codes read. Without any overt symptoms there is nothing else to go by.

3. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For starters, the yellow light is the headlight leveling switch.

Now on the Hybrid light, do you hear the fans working in overdrive in the back seats? It sounds like static coming from a radio.
    Is it able to alternate from gas to electric?
    Which lights are on the dashboard?

4. ccdisce

ccdisce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need to get a better re-built AND re-balanced used battery or a brand new battery to cope with the hilly terrain that you have to cross on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river.

Yes I an quite familiar with the hills on the Quebec side as I lived in Ottawa and worked in Aylmer for about 10 years at the Nortel Factory (now closed), crossing mainly at the Champlain Bridge once or sometimes twice a day as I would go to BNR Central near Shirley's Bay some days.
    Riding a road bike into Algonquin Park up past Pink Lake did get the ticker going. The Moose crossing from a high bank on the left between us on the way down helped keep the heart rate up.

Using Grid Re-Balancer periodically may help extend the HV life beyond the warranty period.

Good Luck, Bon Chance.