1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai, Fuel Cells and Europe

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Jul 12, 2013.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think they're choosing Denmark for a reason - small country, small population and thus only a handful of filling stations required.

I can't see hydrogen working unless they manage to clean up the production process here as well as storage issues. Then you have insurance issues for the car owners. Many insurers shy away from cars with high pressure lpg tanks and many places don't allow you access if you have an lpg car - think multistory car parks, underground parking, ferries, tunnels, bridges etc. Now add even higher pressure hydrogen and I think you'll have even more problems.

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the link. I think Europe has the best chance of pulling this off, as they
    1) Allow cars from everywhere (Japan has soft barriers)
    2) Have high gas taxes
    3) Have large government incentives

From the link

That would be 5.4 kg in tanks or about 5.4 gallon gasoline equivalnt. If its range was EPA then it would get around 80 mpge, but I am guessing its range is on an easier european test.

Let's compare to the gasoline tuscon
    The limited is $25,000 has 176hp and 25 mpg.

That would be a incredible increase in mpge for hydrogen versus gasoline, but at twice the price, 40 fewer ponies, and limited number of stations its going to be a tough sell.

In the US the closest competitors will be the Rav4 EV and the outlander phev.