1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hyundai to add PHEV to Sonata Hybrid in 2013

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Korea: The Chosun Ilbo (English Edition): Daily News from Korea - Hyundai Aims to Introduce Plug-In Hybrid in 2013

Reuters: Hyundai Motor plans roll out of plug-in hybrid in 2013 - report | Reuters

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/about-hyundai/environment/

2 people like this.
  2. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, PHEV are a great step toward EV, and the Sonata looks like a lovely car.

I think the US/EPA have shot themselves in the foot by giving the EV range/normal MPG, since people see "15 miles" and think "what's the point of that?". I think in europe we'll just get a high MPG rating (remember reading somewhere the prius PHV will get a ~125mpg rating) which is easier to understand for consumers.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, one approach is honest and one is not, that's why they have to do it that way. Remember when the Volt at one point was going to get 230 mpg or something silly?

I think Hyundai is right and after seeing the Leaf and Volt and their drastic shortcomings this is why I think the Toyota/Hyundai approach is the better one. Make a hybrid first and then extend its range with plug in capabilities.

4. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do remember that, it "proved" how the volt was better than a prius. i stopped reading gm-volt at about that time. and bought a prius.

But, the general public are pretty thick. asking them to calculate:
    W) Daily commute = 26 miles
    X)Regular MPG(prius) = 64
    Y) EV range = 14
    Z) Petrol miles = W-Y

MPG = W/(Z/X)

Just having a table with daily commutes, and a number that says "138MPG" for me is a LOT more straightforward.

5. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    But a daily commute is like an average. In a sense although an average is the best figure you have a darn small number of people actually hit it. The math is more daunting but there is just no really good way to simplify it to as simple as the normal MPG.

You could have "cost per mile for first EV miles" followed by cost per mile when running on gas. But even that requires a localized figure since electricity costs differ from area to area.

6. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I also think a lot of people don't know the answers to:

A) How much their electricity costs per kwh
    B) How much electricity they use during the month/year

I've asked people these questions, and typically the reply is "It's $xxx a month, and the electric company is putting the screws to us". With gas, it's displayed in big, bright letters for you to see on every other street corner (well, at least here that seems about the frequency). My average cost per kwh is around 12cents (give or take a few fractions of a penny, due to tiered delivery rates) after what my PV array produces. I've tracked my usage and rough production figures over the last 2 years in a spreadsheet. Depending upon heat pump/oil furnace usage, this can vary drastically. But, at least I have that information, know my costs, and could calculate from there.

7. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I actually pulled up my power bill just last week and honestly I am still not sure what I pay per kwh. It was really not user friendly. The break down of delivery plus supply charges were not consistent in format and the taxes just all messed a bunch of stuff up, too. I think I pay about $.11 but it wasn't entirely obvious!

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Divide the total (including taxes and fees) by kWh consumed.

This is an interesting piece. Prius PHV in 2011?

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Kia Optima to become PHEV also...
    Hyundai, Kia plan plug-in hybrids for 2013 models | The Weekly Driver