1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Beat the EPA--Post 'em here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Apr 14, 2004.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

Wow, still an amazing tank for you! I agree about not expecting a car this good - I have been following this board since Oct/Nov of last year, and after seeing how the mpgs were coming around the low to mid 40's, that's what I was expecting. Little did I know that it was mainly due to the weather and the pioneers still learning how to best drive (which allowed them to teach us more quickly!). This tank I'm aiming for 55mpg, if I can pull that off on one tank, I'd be proud in knowing that I was able to beat the EPA estimate (my driving is probably as close as one could get to half city, half highway). Again, congratulations!

-m.

2. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here's the picture.

3. eak354

eak354 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I drive mostly in the city, lots of stop lights/ stop signs, hence a lot of stop and go traffic. My trips are usually 10-15 mins to and from work, so i get 40-44mpg, not impressive compared to other prius drivers.

So i decided to go on a little roadtrip out on the freeway, see how mileage was out there. :clap: i drove 80miles and got 57mpg! unbelievable! i guess my car has been getting the break-in it needs afterall!

4. Wow! Some of you guys (and gals) are obtaining incredible MPGs!
    I'll just have to be happy with my average 52 mpg.
    What a cool car!

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

You can say that again! I'm about to fill up tomorrow morning, I'll post my excellent stats then - this car is just as exciting to drive as it was the first day I got it!

-m.

6. rflagg

rflagg Member

Here it is!

Ran on this tank for a record for me - 11 days!

5/21 Fillup
    Tank Miles: 571 (30.0 miles past blinking bar)
    Total Miles: 5986
    Car MPG: 55.0
    Gallons Filled: 10.581

I'm sure Evan has me beat, as he always does, but I'm catching up! :)

-m.

7. cmorozco

cmorozco New Member

Here's my current average[/img]

8. dbiltcli

dbiltcli New Member

5/25 Fillup
    Tank Miles: 461
    Total Miles: 6700
    Car MPG: 59.3
    Calc. MPG: 61
    Gallons Filled: 7.5

9. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    7 miles, all downhill?

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to burst your bubble, but 7 miles over a period of 30 minutes doesn't make 70mpg particularly impressive...I've had 5 minute bars at 99.9mpg and many 5 min. bars over 75mpg...you carry that kinda mileage for another 500-600 miles and post a photo of that, and I'll be impressed.

11. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, I've had 99.9 mpg on mine after filling the tank, and being able to drop directly into stealth upon leaving the filling station. :mrgreen:

When I took my trip to Canada last February, I had stealth from the filling station, almost all the way to the Canadian border.

12. cmorozco

cmorozco New Member

I live in Florida as you know we have no hills. the 7 miles came up while stuck in traffic on the last leg of my commute which lasted 10 mins. I stood still due to a acident for what may have been 5 minutes. My total travel distance is about 25 miles. As you see I was in the car for over 30 mins. the last leg of my trip was 7 miles. logically if I took 30 mins to travel 7 miles I'd be going 1/4 mile per hour. 3/4 of the commute is highway, I'd be a fool to drive that slow and put other drivers at risk. Oddly, it seems the programmed behaviour is to reset the distance traveled after a long stop. As I started moving again the graph was still maintained. Even so, the 30min trip average is not 70 as you can see if you average out the graph numbers. The 70mpg average is since last fill up.

Carlos M. Orozco

13. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

How could you possiblt drive only 7miles when screen shows 30 minutes of driving? How far did you push the car?

14. Astroprius

Astroprius New Member

First 700 mile tank!

I'm not sure it is going to get any better than this. This is with mostly city driving and about 15% highway. The last bar began blinking at 671 miles and I went an additional 42 before the fill-up. I was only able to fill up with 10.6 gallons which puts the calculated mpg at 67.2, but I have stopped believing what the pump says. I am more impressed with 713 miles on one tank. Total miles on the car is 3,462. 8)

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another Great Tank

Computer showed 57.2mpg, I calculated at an amazing 59.0!!! This is despite the first 70 miles or so of the tank being my wife driving (no experience) when she got a speeding ticket!! When I got home to the car it showed 53mpg. I'm pretty certain I could have gone over 600 miles on the tank and I only drove about 13 miles after the add fuel started flashing, but I have some commuting to do tomorrow and won't have time to fill then.

I admit to nursing the mileage when I was on smaller roads with no other cars around, but when I was commuting to/from work I stayed the speed limit and accelerated normally. The AC was used minimally and temps averaged around 70 (low was about 61 degrees, high around 86).

I'll post my May averages over on the May MPG thread.

16. With just over 5,000 miles on the odometer and average high temps in the low & mid 80s, I'm very pleased to be averaging 57.8 mpg (after 200 miles) since my last fill up. I have used the A/C very sparingly. However, I won't claim this as my best tank, until another 300 miles or so when it's time to fill up. Almost 58 mpg. This is too cool.

17. suirpintx

suirpintx New Member

Fuel Economy 56.0 MPG on June trip of 1883 miles

2004 Tideland #6
    Yes it's true....56.0 MPG over 1883 miles and using the airconditioner for most of the way. I use max tire pressure as stated on the sidewall (all 4 tires) and full synthetic oil. One of the main reasons for such great fuel mileage is the fact that I drafted much of the time a safe distance behind
    18-wheeler diesel trucks running anywhere between 60 mph to 75 mph.
    This is THE MAIN REASON for the very high MPG average (for there were
    strong headwinds over much of this trip). On a normal trip at highway speeds (without drafting) I average around 45 MPG to 48 MPG or so.........
    DRAFTING DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE :mrgreen:

18. jchu

jchu New Member

Define drafting at a safe distance. Normal accepted safe trailing distance is generally taught as either a 2 second gap or one standard car length for each 10 mph.

19. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Declaring at 230.4 for 3

I got almost a full set of complete bars, somewhat unexpectedly, at the weekend. "Somewhat" unexpectedly in that I was driving carefully, but I wasn't descending a major hill or anything - the route was generally level, but with small ups and downs (for those who know the area, it was between Settle and Keighley in Yorkshire). Sorry the picture is very blurred; I couldn't find a safe place to stop.

By the time I got home, I'd got the average up to 76.8mpg (for US folks, that's a tad over 63.9; for Europeans, it's about 3.70 l/100km). It took a lot of careful,steady driving, avoidance of all fast routes, and a willingness to keep pulling over to let other traffic past.

One to add to the "You know you drive a hybrid when...": "...when you get pulled by the police because you're driving so slowly they think you're stoned" Yes, really! :oops:

I think I'll be content with 60mpg from now on.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Declaring at 230.4 for 3

That's funny!! You need to go over to Greenhybrid.com and add it to the running list...they were getting close to the 100 mark on that, but may not have hit it yet...that one's a keeper!!

Great driving!
    :clap: