1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Beat the EPA--Post 'em here

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, Apr 14, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two big barriers broken for my Prius this last tank.

1)Surpassed 60mpg (60.6 calculated) on a tank.--Computer had shown 58.8mpg and I used the highest pump setting and stopped at first shut off. And it was only a 433 mile tank (I filled not to get high mpg, but b/c gas was cheaper here and I was going on a longer drive...I've got 200 more miles on the car in less than 24 hours since that fill)

2)Finally broke the 50mpg lifetime barrier!! I'm at 50.2mpg with 12225miles on the car. Took all summer to creap up from those new car and winter lows. Hopefully It'll never drop below that mark, but cooler weather is on the way.

2. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mpg

Am stuck at 47MPG on my last tank with heavy AC use. Although I have a new client in a northern burb and have to drive 30 miles one way. The mileage per gallon can very from 50 to 55.
    Have to admit I arrive with a very positive karma after crawling up 294 at 30mph average in stop and go traffic and passing all those SUVs. Have also found that while most cars are marketed with 0-60MPH acceleration times, the more important feature in commuting traffic is braking. Every day, and I mean every day, there is atleast one rear end accident on the shoulder. I find myself looking in the rear view mirror in more than an occasional state of anticipation.

:mrgreen:

(we need a positive karma emoticon)

3. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Re: Declaring at 230.4 for 3

I don't have an account there (nor enough time for another board, that's for sure), but if someone wants to add it on my behalf, please do.

4. Eisenson

Eisenson New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't enjoy any part of it except the results, but I did a ~67mpg tank (7.8 gallons = 521.8 miles). Max of 30 on city streets, 50 or so on the freeway whenever I had to be there. Speed was important, but wasn't the key issue - "style" was:

Accelerate quickly, back off, then get back on just enough to maintain.
    PLAN AHEAD
    Keep your foot off the brake. Maximize coasting time.

ANY use of the brake pedal wastes gas - regen is very inefficient, and friction braking is a total loss.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Declaring at 230.4 for 3

Done, it's #94 on the list.

6. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

Milage so far...

I'm at 54.8 mpg lifetime (actual, based on gas purchased) after 4 fillups and 2022 miles. My current tank is showing 60.6 mpg, and I think I am getting better at squeezing a few extra mpg out. I'm trying to get the lifetime over 55 mpg on this tank, and I think I'll make it! Then cool weather will probably drag me down.

The key to good milage for me is to keep the speed below 65, use cruise control, and coast as much as possible. I drive pretty normally, but a little slower than the speed limit (like 62 in a 65 zone) so I can set the cruise and keep it on. The quick accell followed by cruising is also helpful.

Yesterday, I drove from Loveland, Co up the canyon to Estes Park (Rocky Mtn. National Park). My mileage was 42 going up, but 64 by the time I got back down. I had a full screen of bars at 100 mpg :mrgreen: but no camera :cry:

7. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Beginner's luck.

Bought my Prius Sept. 11 (something good to remember) and first filled up on Sept. 16 after 460 miles on 8.2 gallons. That's 56.1 mpg. I haven't filled it again since.

I can say that this was a mostly highway tank, because I drove home from the dealer the first 350 miles at highway speeds which were typically 64 mph.

Regarding Item #94 on the list: I watched the recent episode of Jack and Bobby and was pleased to note that a Prius figured in the plot. Bobby ran out of the house because his mom was smoking pot (again) and she was too stoned to drive after him. That's probably not what you'd want to tell the officer when you're stopped, though.

8. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    after 2 days of hard driving,(ie...fast freeway from 65-80 and city stop start 0-45,...and over 400 miles...seems like ive been everywhere, i just filled back up to the first pump shut off, as usual...calculated mileage was 62.7mpg...temps have been in the upper 80s to low 90s...very warm for Indiana this time of year...winds light and variable...US gallons were 6.6 on fill at 414miles...

9. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Best tank so far was my second one - 56.2 mpg
    (I'm working on my third tank now)

10. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bought the Prius on Sept. 5. The wife drives 132 miles round trip to work and back each day...She's on her fourth tank of gas, has only gone to blinking last bar once and it scared the bejeebers out of her. She has just over 1700 miles on the clock and is averaging 52.7 mpg. She swears she's not driving any different then she did in her 04 Accord, which she averaged 29.8 mpg in that. Her commute is about 35 miles at 70 mph, 25 miles at 30-45 mph, and the last 5 miles or so, start and stop. Her return trip, is the first 10 miles or so is start and stop, the next 25 miles at about 30 mph, and the last 30 miles at between 5 and 60 mph. (Heavier commute going home in Northern VA than going to work in the morning...go figure). I would like to think that if her commute home were the same conditions as going in, her average mpg would probably be up around 55-57 mpg. She runs the internal temp at 73 and the outside temp has averaged around 80 since we bought it. It's black and we don't have the windows tinted....yet....so the A/C is on a lot. She does really well with the car. We're totally happy with it. :mrgreen:

11. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    calculated 56.8mpg going to Purdue and back...speed was 55-60mph...not too shabby... :wave: :wave:

12. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have averaged above 55 MPG in mixed driving for the last 3000+ miles.

13. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

We should start a 707 club. 707 miles on a signal tank. It's very possible. Figure, 60mpg on a 11.9 Gal Tank... is 714.

It would be scary going that far no doubt. But those who do! Well, it means they know how to drive their Prius. 707 miles, 3X longer than many cars with tanks with greater capacity. Wow.

I like it.

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    513-mile round-trip to Florida.

54.2MPG average over the 510 miles driven after filling up.

Most Prius-friendly route is US 321 from Columbia to Hardeeville SC to catch I-95 south. The NAV system wants nothing to do with US 321, probably due to the *numerous* speed zones, down to 25MPH occasionally. Every time I tried to check the distance Home, it wanted me to get off that road. Of course, it was shorter that way than any route the NAV wanted, and not so slow I wouldn't do it again.

Next time, I'll try to not push it by speeding on the I-95 to make up time. That should be even better MPG-wise...

15. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well today I've gotten my personal trip/commute best. I opted to go for the driving method of keeping my pedal steady and let my speed vary by terrain. My speeds on the freeway varied from 55mph to 74mph, the trip home being slower than the trip in due to the slight up-hill nature of that direction. I also had a quick/short trip where I took a server from the office to our colo facility down the street where I used EV mode both ways.

At any rate, I ended at home w/ a 64.3 mpg average over 75 miles of my round-trip commute. Attached is a pic.

I keep my tires inflated ~42/40. Temps today were mid-70's morning to lowerr 80's evening. I'm also running Quaker State 5w30 Full Synthetic, and have 28800 miles on the car. I kept my A/C off 95% of the time.

16. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Way to go Rick! Anything over 60 is really hard in normal driving conditions. I can get around 80 if I just loop around and around at 40 mph, but to get over 60 on a real commute is great. My current is 59.9 for the last 457 miles. Those EPA numbers really need to be revised UPWARDS!

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Update to my previous - I'm at ~200 miles and still at 61mpg.

18. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I ended the tank finally. Unfortunately (?) cooler weather came and lowered the overall mpg. I still managed 58.7mpg of mostly freeway driving (75%+) over 500 miles.

Attached is a pic.

(7/18/2006 - prius chat ate the pic, here it is again - had to dig it off my old camera phone memory card)

[attachmentid=4207]

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  20. coloradospringsprius

We surpassed 55 mpg on our third tank, barely (55.2). What impressed me about the Prius is that along with more highway miles than usual (trips to Denver and to Boulder), there was quite a bit of mpg-unfriendly driving on this tank - snow, slush, and heavy loads as we carted relatives around, showing off our new car.

And this is with factory tire pressure - I'm having to sell my wife on the idea of increasing it a bit - the original oil, and winter gasoline. I'm looking forward to summer.