1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I drove a Volt today.

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by daniel, Oct 27, 2011.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After gwmort suggested visiting a Chevy dealership I decided to do just that today. Originally I just said that I was curious to see the Volt. I did not want to pretend to be a potential buyer (I have plenty of cars now) and I felt reluctant to say "I'm not going to buy it, but can I drive it?"

I asked some questions, none of which the saleskid knew the answer to. We ended up talking about my Tesla more than about the Volt. Another salesguy came by and after a bit I offered to take them both for a ride. One at a time, of course. Then the second guy said that there was another guy who'd really like a ride, so I gave him a ride. They were all very impressed. The third guy seemed the most knowledgeable, and actually giggled when I pressed on the pedal. He said it felt to him more like 400 hp than the claimed 300, but we agreed that being as light as it is makes a difference.

So then he asked me if I wanted to drive the Volt, and I said sure. I told him I was not in the market for it, but I'd like to drive it. So they let me. As gwmort suggested, they were actually quite happy to let me drive it, and I got the impression they'd have been happy to even if I had not given them rides first.

The car is obviously much more roomy than my Tesla. It appears to be similar in cargo space to the Prius, with the fold-down back seats. The driver's seat is less comfortable than my Prius, which in its turn is far from the most comfortable car seat I've sat in, though both are more comfortable than either the Tesla or the Xebra. It would be acceptable, especially for its intended sub-40-mile distance, but I don't think it would be comfortable for road trips. Handling was nice. Obviously, not like the Roadster, which it was not intended to be. Steering responsiveness was good, while still being easy. (The Roadster requires attention, being a sports car, and the Prius is squirrelly at high speed in a crosswind.) So the Volt would be an easy car for commuting on the freeway. Acceleration I can only say very subjectively, that I think it had more acceleration than the Prius but less than the Leaf. If someone has numbers that suggest otherwise, I'll accept those. I only drove the Leaf once.

The Volt was fully charged, or nearly so, so I only drove it in EV mode, never in CS mode.

Two years ago I'd have bought this car in spite of my feelings about GM and my concerns about needless complexity. Two years ago a 35-mile EV range and freeway capability, with the range extender, seemed like a good idea to me. Today, I'd be happier with a Leaf and the Prius, due to the Leaf's better performance and longer range. And of course I'm much happier still with the Tesla and the Prius.

I think the Volt would be acceptable if the range extender is only to be used when you need to drive a little farther than 35-40 miles. Given its poor mpg and emissions compared to the Prius, I don't think I'd like it as a road trip car, though it has plenty of space for luggage.

One of the salesmen badmouthed the Leaf considerably, talking about Leafs catching fire and "lots" (his term) of battery problems. I told him that here on PC as well as on the leaf forum I've read nothing but complete satisfaction from Leaf owners.

Their price for the Volt is $45,710. That amounts to $38,210 after the federal tax credit, but I presume they add some fees. I do not know if Washington State's sales tax exemption for EVs applies to the Volt or not.

None of the salespeople there seemed to really know much about the Volt. The Volt owners on this forum are obviously far more informed. But I think car salespeople seldom know much about the car they sell other than stock answers to the common questions that most buyers ask: price, fuel usage, etc.

They also have a Mitsubishi dealership and promised to phone me when the iMiev comes in, which they expect in a month or so, and let me drive it.

Conclusion: It didn't seem to be a bad car. I still think it's not as good an EV as the Leaf and not as good a gas car as the Prius. It's a compromise, which will work for some people, but compromises too much for my taste. I'm also concerned about reliability, both because of what I consider needless complexity, and because I don't trust GM. And I think they could have put in a much more comfortable seat. (I have the same complaint about my Prius. And my Xebra. And my Tesla.)

dogfriend, KK6PD, cycledrum and 6 others like this.
  2. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Granted I've only had one for less than a week, but my Volt acumen doesn't even hold a flicker to those on gm-volt.com forums. I'm sure the others here are on that board as well. Those guys over there make me wonder if they are engineers or electricians at the very least.

I've driven my Volt on three occasions and my Prius twice since last weekend and I cannot express how much better the Volt feels behind the wheel over my Prius.

BTW good read on your test experience; on the acceleration I bet any other ev/hybrid out there must be largely mediocre and pales in comparison since you already have a Tesla.

3. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The Leaf and Volt on battery power and the 3rd generation Prius are essentially identical from 0-40 MPH but after that the Leaf and Prius start to noticeably fall behind.

The Volt has faster acceleration at speeds above 60 MPH in hybrid (CS) mode versus its EV mode.

The data below come from two separate Motor Trend articles so the CD mode Volt acceleration results vary slightly from each other.

Code:
    2011     Volt    Leaf    Prius (non-plug)
    ACCELERATION TO MPH
    0-30	 3.2 	 3.1 	 3.0
    0-40	 4.7	 4.7	 4.8
    0-50	 6.5	 6.9	 7.0
    0-60	 9.0	 9.7	 9.7
    0-70	 11.8	 13.2	 13
    0-80	 15.2	 17.8	 17.2
    0-90	 20.0	 23.9	 22.4

PASSING, 45-65 MPH
             4.8	 5.6	 5.5

2011 Volt CD v. CS Mode
    ACCELERATION TO MPH
    0-30   3.0; 3.2
    0-40   4.5; 4.6
    0-50   6.4; 6.4
    0-60   8.8; 8.7
    0-70   11.9; 11.3
    0-80   16.0; 14.5
    0-90   21.3; 18.3
    0-100  29.8; 23.0

PASSING, 45-65 MPH
           4.9; 4.5

Read more:2011 Chevrolet Volt First Test - Motor Trend

Read more: 2011 Chevrolet Volt vs 2011 Nissan Leaf SL vs 2011 Toyota Prius III Comparison - Motor Trend

4. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    The acceleration feels better even when it is the same (0-40 MPH) because it is quiet and seemingly effortless versus a gas engine noisily straining at high RPMs.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool that you test drove one. I did long ago at a Volt event in Western WA.
    Sigh.... To be fair, I have seen some some folks on MNL unhappy about certain aspects and one even about the range he's getting (but that poster seems unwilling to answer many questions when asked and seems ummm... misguided/misinformed about Leaf operation). There are some Leaf owners who have had some trouble (some w/serious symptoms/consequences), but the catching fire and "lots" of battery problems is bogus.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never drove the Leaf on the freeway, so I cannot compare the Leaf and the Volt over 40 mph. I really thought the Leaf was the nicer car in all respects, though the Volt handled very well and had decent acceleration, though it's true that all cars seem pretty sluggish after the Tesla. The first time I drove my Prius after getting the Tesla I thought something was wrong with it. :eek:

Car salespeople seem to be the worst sources of information about cars, whether it's the cars they're selling, or the competition. Before I bought my Honda, back in 1988, the Toyota salesman badmouthed the Honda and said things about it that were untrue. It was one of the things that turned me away from Toyota at that time. I bought my 2004 Prius only because its technology was so clearly superior. I really wanted to stay with Honda. So the Chevy salesman badmouthing the Leaf today did not endear me to GM, even though I hate Nissan. It's a question of honesty.

But maybe it's just ignorance.

Apparently I'm only the second EV driver who's test-driven the Volt at this particular dealership, so they were happy to hear what I had to say about EVs in general, and about the comparison.

7. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    There are always going to be some with problems (or agenda). Esp. given no-censoring policy on MNL. There are a lot of problems reported in gm-volt too - inspite of their knee-jerk censoring & banning.

8. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Daniel, I'm just curious.... Did you drive the Volt in normal or sport mode? Did you drive in 'D' or 'L' shifter position?

Sport mode feels quite a bit more responsive and 'L' has more regeneration whereas 'D' is almost coasting when you back off of the accelerator.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The key words seem to be: "... exclusively powered by a clean alternative fuel." So it appears that Volt is subject to sales tax (RCW 82.08.209) or use tax (RCW 82.12.209).

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And maybe they'll be converted to EV's since being taken for a ride in your Tesla? I bet that story gets told to many a prospective Volt purchaser from now on. :)

11. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad to see you enjoyed the drive as much as you could. I certaintly agree with you about it not being a road trip car due to the poor MPG/emissions which is why we kept our Prius as well.. Interesting that they would tell you the Leaf's are catching fire. I have yet to see that. The only thing I have seen is people not liking the inaccuracy of the miles left gauge, but that it has been fixed in a recent software upgrade to the car. As far as the Volt being as fast as the Prius though you must try the Volt in sport mode. Maybe I am missing something with my Prius, but to me the Volt feels much faster. I do like the Prius ergonomics, and interior design slightly better though. The cup holder location in the Volt for me is slightly awkward. Our kids love the way the back seats are split with the center console at least.

Ironically when we bought the Prius and the Volt the sales people really did not know a lot about them. Luckily I do my research before hand, so I do not rely on them soley for information. This does not just apply to hybrids though as sales staff seem to say anything to make the sale regardless of what type of car it is.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I asked the salesman to put the car in Sport position, since I wanted to experience it at its best, and since in a short test drive I would not be affected by range issues in Sport mode. He seemed a bit uncertain, but I presume it was in Sport position.

I drove it only in D, which I took to mean "Drive," and I thought that "L" was "Low," as in when you are climbing a very steep driveway in an automatic. The car had no detectable regenerative braking when I let my foot off the pedal. The salesman said that pressing the brake pedal used regen, though he didn't really seem to know anything about the car.

I prefer regen on the brake pedal (a la Prius) rather than on the accelerator pedal (a la Tesla). I am used to the way the Tesla does it, and I understand that the reason is to make it drive more like a sports car. But I find it easier when the car coasts. So in this respect I think the Volt got it right. The Prius puts a little bit of regen on the accelerator pedal, which I also do not like. Both the Xebra and the electric Porsche conversion coast, which I like.

They ALL wanted a Tesla. They totally loved the ride. But they won't be telling their customers about it. They want to sell cars, not send customers to another company. And of course, their official party line is that the Volt is an EV. Just with an added range extender.

I did say that I think the Volt accelerates quicker than the Prius. But I felt that the Leaf was quicker than either. (Again, as mentioned above, I never drove the Leaf over 40 mph. I did take the Volt on the freeway, where it was quite adequate, though I missed the Tesla's passing power.)

13. Jeff N

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    Hmm, that sounds uncertain. You enter Sport mode by pressing the "Drive Mode" button above the blue start button and just below the button with the leaf icon. Each time you press the button it cycles through a short menu of modes -- I think 3 presses takes you to Sport. The chosen drive mode will be displayed in the lower right corner of the driver display screen.

The 'L' position only increases regeneration when "coasting" (and also during initial brake pedal pressure) as in shifting to a lower gear in a conventional car to avoid using the brake pedal when going downhill. It does not change acceleration or other driving characteristics.

The combination of 'L' and Sport gives the car a sportier driving feel. Both the acceleration (obviously) and the regeneration would be milder than on the Roadster. The stronger regeneration slows the car roughly 2.5 MPH per second when "coasting" in 'L'. This is enough in many situations to avoid using the brake pedal except for the last few MPH. The Volt does regeneration on the brake pedal also whereas I believe the Roadster only has friction brakes.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the review on the Volt, but I'll tell you something ...

I see Leafs everyday around the Southeast bay area.

I think the Leaf is a hit. I know people are enjoying the carpool lane access with them also.

15. gwmort

gwmort Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the Volt its basically user selectable. I prefer to coast so I keep it in D most of the time, and only "downshift" into L if I am coasting up to a light or something. Other people prefer the single pedal driving aspect of having a lot of regen when they let up on the accelerator so they keep it in L all the time.

A lot of drivers seem to really like the heavy acceleration/heavy regen of the Sport + L combo, but I generally keep mine n Normal + D and am very happy with the driving experience (most likely what you had on your test drive).

16. mfennell

mfennell New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It has regen in D, just much less than L. Switch to N and you can feel the difference. The only difference L brings is much more regen when off the throttle.

Up to about 0.3g, most of your braking is regen. The few times I've checked, my front brake rotors have been at ambient temperature, the rears just barely above.

That's a nice spin. I'm sure they did it the way they did because blending regen and hydraulic brakes is hard and they didn't have the time/money/expertise to get it right.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't even look at the screen. When I'm driving an unfamiliar car belonging to someone else, ALL my attention is on the road. The salesman was pressing something, probably the button you mentioned.

I think it's a bit of both: Blending regen on the brake pedal is difficult, but they also wanted to mimic the feel of a sports car. On the Tesla chat board, my impression was that more people prefer the way it is than otherwise.

The brake pedal is pure friction braking on the Tesla.

All the regen on the accelerator pedal gives a feel of being more closely in control. Putting it all on the brake pedal gives more of a relaxed feel. An analogy would be sporty handling vs. sluggish handling. Sporty has a faster response to the wheel, sluggish is easier to steer a straight line. Sporty you're more in control; the other you're more relaxed. A long drive on the freeway you want to be relaxed and have the car keep itself in a straight line. In a sports car you want it to respond to every twitch.

The braking is like that: On the accelerator pedal there's a quick response to a slight change in foot position; on the brake pedal, you can take your feet off and coast.

I prefer the latter, but most Roadster owners prefer the former.

It was one of the things I liked about the Volt compared to the Prius. To coast in the Prius you have to find exactly the right foot position. To coast in the Volt in D you just take your foot off the pedal. (I believe the posters above who say there is some regen on the accelerator pedal, but I didn't notice it. The car coasted very nicely.)

18. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    One thing I've noticed about most car sales people, is they know very little about what they sell other than the spec sheet data - at least, that's what I've noticed everytime I've dealt with them. I know, not all of them are that bad, but sales people in general seem to veer that direction. They sell, they get pay check. That's really their goal. A lot will talk down the competition to make their product sell better. Most people are unlikely to research ahead of time, and just take their word for it. I heard many people say "well, they do sell them all day so they know". I shook my head.

Daniel, if I ever make it back to WA, I'm going to remember to ask for a ride in the Tesla ahead of time :). Granted, I'll probably be in Seattle area, but I'll manage!

19. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I really do not think the Volt has regen when you take your foot off the gas. It might be a teeny tiny bit, but I think there isn't any. I have played around with the brake pedal as well but to me you hear the friction brakes kick on, and green efficiency ball drops immediately with the slightest application... I have gotten a little better at it but it takes a lot of effort.. My best 50-0 regen in D nets me 0.1kwh displayed, and in L with no brake pedal application you can consistently get 0.2kwh back. To me it does not justify the hassle, so I do not even worry about it anymore when I drive the Volt. I like the way the Tesla sounds with it being on the accelerator, but sometimes like you are saying I get annoyed having to hold the Prius pedal in just that right spot to coast. I think overall Tesla/Toyota were going for something different. GM just wanted to make a EREV that felt, drove, and operated like a regular car minus the plug in part..

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If I'm in town I'll be happy to give you a ride. This goes for anyone else as well. I'm home much more than I'm away, but I do travel several times a year.

Be aware that tall and large people have some difficulty getting in and out. And a very large person probably would not be able to get in at all. I'm 5' 6 1/2" and about 143 lbs, and it's a bit of a contortion for me.

Note also that there's a Tesla store in Seattle and they'll let you test drive a Roadster if you seem to be a serious potential buyer rather than just a thrill seeker. All I'm offering is to give a ride to anyone who wants.

This was certainly how it felt to me, at least in D and Sport mode. I took my foot off the pedal way back from the light and hardly slowed at all. I had to use the brake. In the Tesla I mostly only use the brake in the "creep zone," the speed at which the car creeps forward like an automatic.