1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I had my neck rebuilt, now I can't drive or work until July ...WOOHOO!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by KK6PD, Apr 14, 2011.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, this is going to be an interesting spring. 3 days ago, I went into my local hospital. My neck has been a constant source of problems for years.
    I had to have a 4th surgery and have this done...
    Anterior cervical discectomy fusion. Google it, OH OW OUCH!!!

[​IMG]

So here I sit with my fashion statement of a Cervical Collar. Life here at The Hall of Science, will be taking a much mellower and sedate route for the next 13 weeks. I went in Monday, 4 hours of neck surgery with a very skilled Neurosurgeon, whom I have 2 prior surgeries with. Such skill, in a man, it's truly humbling. While I am trusted with a shief of blueprints and hundreds of thousands of dollars of TV equipment, my partners and I come up with a nice TV Studio, Edit Bay, whatever, it all pales in comparison by what a skilled surgeon can accomplish!
    So here I sit, watching my new favorite show, Top Gear, as well as whatever Directv can downlink into my home. I have communications to the world, Internet with my pals on Priuschat, and my wife to keep me sane while I wear this ferkockta neck brace 24/7 for the next 13 weeks.

Thankfully everything worked out great, 100 % recovery is expected! I can't ask for anything better!!!
    But DAMN, the bone graft incision REALLY hurts,...THANK GOD for Vicoden!!!

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wanted to say I hope you heal up up fast and that this surgery does the trick but your desk distracted me. It looks like an electronic technician' s dream! lol

1 person likes this.
  3. drunkin master

drunkin master Contributing Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Damm,
    I hope you heal up quick and back to work and back driving your prius.

1 person likes this.
  4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glad to hear everything went ok and that the recovery is looking 100% positive!

1 person likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well and the prognosis is for you to be back to 100%. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Pat!

1 person likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was a very funny post, glad you still have your sense of humor! ouch, that does look painful. i hope it is your last and best surgery. praying for a quick recovery for you. keep the faith KK6PD!:cheer2:

1 person likes this.
  7. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Best wishes for a speedy healing.

Hope your recovery goes quickly and you can stay busy and not go stir crazy during this down time...

1 person likes this.
  8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Will you be having physical therapy after the collar comes off, to help with mobility?

If so, I can personally recommend discussing the Mackensie method of PT with your surgeon... see if he knows about it - if he does, he may prescribe it for you.

Here's to a fast, comfortable recovery! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rae Vynn, thanks for the Mackensie method of PT tip. I Googled it, looks interesting. This is a new Insurance Group I am in, and so far they have really exceded my expectations and their involvement in my situation. I would not be surprised when I have my follow up with my doc next week that subject will come up. When the Neurosurgeon and I looked at my MRI, I pointed to C5, C6 and asked, same thing happening here, can I stop it? He said yes, but I need better posture and I am hoping I can get some help with that. I am not looking forward to a repeat performance of this affair!! :D

I checked out your Hawaii trip, looks like you two had the same barrel of fun that my wife and I did when we visited Maui. Our only hitch happened at the end of two weeks when my wife fell off her bike on the Haleakala downhill bike ride... we were stopped, a gianf killer bee, well that's what she claims. made her fall off a bike that was standing still, and spraining her ankle!
    Of course I saw NO crutches in any of your shots, so you had just a wee bit more fun!!

1 person likes this.
  10. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So evidently you have been a pain in the neck for a while? You knew these comments were coming!

Is it possible you've got room for a couple more electronic gadgets?

Best wishes for a full, pain-free recovery.

1 person likes this.