1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I have dealer-installed XM in my '07 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by frpat, Apr 11, 2007.

1. frpat

frpat New Member

Today my dealer installed XM radio in my 2007 Prius, package 2. It's the first one they have installed in a Prius and was supposed to take an hour. After and hour and 15 minutes I had to leave for a meeting. They gave me a brand new Toyota Tundra to drive to the meeting. What a beast! It's a monster of a vehicle, compared to a Prius ... and I doubt the other drivers on the road knew what peril they were in, having me driving that thing!

At any rate, I returned 3 hours later and they were just about finished with the installation. It works great! There is indeed a 16 character display. XM uses some economy with characters too, omitting apostrophe's, removing spaces, etc. There are three displays, each with six presets for a total of eighteen. There is a text button too, that dispays artist and name of the song.

As I said, I have package 2 ... not the JBL system, and it's working perfecty. I realize somebody will comment on rip-off dealer installs, but I'm very satisifed. I didn't disassemble or assemble anything ... all I did is pick up the car when it was finished. My Toyota Dealer (Midwest Toyota) in La Crosse, Wisconsin has been consistently great. If something is not perfect, they make it perfect.

The install caused me no stress whatever. And the dealer wired my Garmin Nuvi 360 (no more exposed cable) at no extra charge. And it's great to have a 16 character display! If you keep it on text mode, all you need to do is hit the audio button to see the artist/song display. Turning off the text mode reveals the station presets. I'm sure the dealer will make a profit on the intallation of these units. I don't think they made much on this one though, seeing that a 1 hour estimated install took them 4 1/2 hours. The antenna is very tiny, and is mounted on the roof, near the hatchback behind the terrestrial radio antenna.

2. TonyM

TonyM Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frpat @ Apr 11 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]421844[/snapback]</div>
    Either the techs get paid by the hour, or this was their first one.

I insalled the Toyota XM kit in my 07 a couple weeks ago. Took me less than 2 hours and I wasted alot of that time thinking "WOW, the dash really just pops off like this??? No Bolts??? What the......". :blink: :lol:

3. jobob

jobob Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frpat @ Apr 11 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]421844[/snapback]</div>
    That is interesting. I also have a dealer installed XM on my 2007 with only 10 characters. Anyone have an idea why? Thanks.

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jobob @ Apr 13 2007, 10:42 AM) [snapback]422583[/snapback]</div>
    I'm far from an expert, but its been listed on here that some radio 'head' units can only display 10 characters. I believe its head unit 51830 that can only do 10 characters, check the front of yours to see which version you have.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Or it could be that they went cheap and installed either a 3rd party XM unit or an older OEM unit. I'd ask where they installed it and check out the part number on the unit.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jobob @ Apr 13 2007, 07:42 AM) [snapback]422583[/snapback]</div>
    Because when XM and Sirius came out the technology was limited to 10 characters. Currently they can do 20 characters, but the Prius has trouble sometimes going over 16.

They sold you an old model radio.

7. jobob

jobob Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 13 2007, 11:13 AM) [snapback]422692[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought this like 6 weks ago. Unless they swapped radios, I can't see that they would put an older radio in it.

8. frpat

frpat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyM @ Apr 12 2007, 05:29 PM) [snapback]422211[/snapback]</div>
    This was their first one ... and I'm very happy with it.