1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I know there's no hybrid RV, but...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dan-Wolfe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ... even withgas prices rising, I am considering an RV for post retirement trip and perhaps part-time residence. Anyone have any advice for a first time buyer?

Dan

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

[attachmentid=7764][attachmentid=7765][attachmentid=7766]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Apr 30 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]432729[/snapback]</div>
    I will sell you ours 1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE 32' CLass A 56k miles $25k

Attached Files:

3. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Nope no real advise. The hybrid rv doesn’t make since seeing as how they are usually driven over long distances at constant speeds. This is efficient for diesels and gas engines. I know most rv at cruising speed get between 6-9mpg. You will have to play with the speed to figure your best speed for mpg. Some do best at 45-50 others 55-60 and by efficient I mean a 2mpg increase. Depending were you plane to go I wouldn’t skimp on the hp and torque because those things weigh tons and going up a hill with a fully loaded rv with insufficient hp and torque will not be fun. All I can say is just prepare to spend as much as 2500-5k a year on gas if you plan to rv full time. My uncle and aunt rv full time and spend just over 6k on gas a ear with current prices but they love being able to just travel; also they spend a lot of time driving as that is what they seam to like he most about rving.

4. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Apr 30 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]432729[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Dan,
    if you are going to live in this full time or part time make sure you DO NOT GET A CORNER BED if you have a spouse. for a single person their fine. Our first rv was a 29' class c cab over chasis Tioga arrow.
    looked great drove great but after crawling in and out over another person was hard we kept it for a year and traded it in for the class A motorhome that has a walk around queen rear bed much better,\also sit in the bathroom with the door closed see how you fit it. check out the shower take off your shoes first though and get in it. make sure you get a decent size genset 7kw would be good Onan makes a good one
    make sure all roof top a/c's work and if the roof vent fan is a "FANTASTIC FAN " thats better.
    a china toilet is better than a plastic unit. best advise would be to take it to a dealer and have them check it out may cost 100- 200 dollars but they should check everything from stove to water fixtures and chasis suspension and steering problems if any.

Good Luck and Have a blast
    \we did

now with gas we go out maybe once a year and not far we full timed for 5 1/2 years what a blast.

5. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Apr 30 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]432729[/snapback]</div>
    Well, it all depends on what you want to do with the RV. I've got a 39 foot diesel pusher that is good for full-timing, but not necessarily great for getting into smaller parks (many national and state parks limit RV size... they simply don't have spaces big enough for today's big 40 footers!). Can you define exactly how you expect to use the RV?

Right off the bat, though, if fuel economy is the issue, you might look at the smaller "Class C" RV's build on the Dodge Sprinter chassis with the Mercedes diesel engine. Airstream makes one called the Parkway, I think. Winnebago makes a couple (under the Itasca line?), and Roadway makes one. The Sprinter chassis is designed as a work van, and the diesel engine gets really good mileage for an RV (the airstream was supposed to get between 22 and 26). You might want to do a search on eBay Motors for RV's with "sprinter" in the title or description... that usually shows a reasonable selection. You might also stop into some local dealerships and ask about the Sprinter chassis.

I wouldn't ever recommend that someone buy a gasoline engine motorhome, though. Mileage sucks and the engines don't hold up all that well.

Dan