1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I want to buy a 2010 Prius in Mexico, help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kuhne, Aug 10, 2010.

1. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, I am from Mexico and Toyota just realised the Prius here this month.

I have been using an X5 4.8i bmw SUV for a couple of years now and while it is a great vehicle two main reasons want me to change.

1. Here in Mexico the insecurity and theft and crime doesn't make someone driving a black X5 feel very safe if you know what I mean... plus those types of cars are allways asking to be stolen.

2. my truck wastes more gas than BP Global.

Now, the problem is the prius here is ridiculously expensive, it's basicaly a 40k vehicle over here.. 10k more expensive than the most expensive version avialable in the united states and they only sell one version, one they call "Premium" apparently made only for the Mexican market.

This version in all honesty is a dissapointment but they will probably not release another one for a while, at least not in the next year.

This version has the leather seats and the smart key but it doesnt have the tech package, no sunroof and no gps screen or parking assist. (which to be honest is something I would never use)

it's quite crap! and at 10k more expensive than the USA version... yes I know you people will say "that is insane, don't buy it" well Yeah I know with the money i can get from the X5 once I sell it I could buy a much nicer car, a bmw a mercedes or something but I dont want those cars or else I wouldnt sell my X5.

So I will have the money to buy it once my truck sells.. my problem is the version is just too ..basic...

What are your thoughts? i dont really care about the gps, I will add a dock to put my iphone anyways and connect the auxiliary audio to the iphone, thats how I will view my gps and hear my mp3.

What bothers me is the solar cells of the sunroof.. that is the coolest thing ever but if that ever made it here they would sell the car at what... 45k? screw that.

I also had a question. Something that is confusing me greatly.

The car doesn't have the screen however the tech spechs list that it does have the rear view cammera... so I dont know how that works..

The lady at toyota told me the image is proyected in the rearview mirror... really? I have to say that's cool as hell.. but I am not sure she even knew what she was talking about, here in Mexico a prius is like a UFO landing. nobody knows anything.

2. theotherone

theotherone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not sure what the exact laws are in regards to importing a vehicle into Mexico (import taxes & registration). But if they are selling the 2010 Prius for $45,000(USD), then wouldn't it be slightly cheaper to purchase a new Prius in Texas and pay all import taxes.

If the above scenario is not an option, then I would wait till the cost of a Prius gets cheaper in Mexico.

Good thing gasoline in Mexico is generally much cheaper than in the United States. Contrary to popular belief, I have filled-up both of my 2010 Prius vehicles in Mexico many times and have never had an decreased MPG's or engine problems.

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You can ask someone to import a Prius for you from the states much cheaper.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Several thoughts...

If Toyota doesn't sell a GPS version of the Prius in Mexico, then they probably also don't have any GPS maps of Mexico. So even if you did a personal import of a US version, you couldn't get proper maps. If you want a GPS, get an aftermarket one like a Garmin or TomTom that has maps of your area.

I think there is a Canadian version of the Prius that has a rear view mirror display of the camera. So the lady's comments are probably correct.

If you want to import a car from the US, be sure to check out your service options. If the mechanics at your local Toyota dealer are receptive to servicing a US spec car, then it should be OK. Mechanically, the Mexican version is going to be exactly the same as a US version, except for the option package. It sounds like a US version III with leather and rear view camera added.

In general, you can expect much better reliability with the Prius than with the BMW. The Prius needs oil/filter changes for the first 100,000 miles, and not much else. But if something does go wrong, you're really going to need a Toyota trained mechanic with the specialized tools. My neighbor's one year old BMW 535 (538?) must have been in the shop for several weeks while they sorted out computer problems and the burglar alarm that kept going off randomly at 2 in the morning. My 4 year old Prius has never seen the inside of a Toyota dealership since I bought it.

5. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You will have issues with service/support with a different version.

I've driven all around Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, and the Baha. The Prius has *no* ground clearance - which to me would be a huge issue down there... Get a Jetta TDI - good solid car with support in Mexico..

6. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think we have clean diesel down here.... Plus I'm kinda through with German cars I had a slk 320 before my x5. I am a gadget lover so the way the prius works is something that attracts me.

Btw I drove the prius today... Wow what a great drive I was surprised and power mode really kicks things up for passing people.

The car does have a rearview mirror monitor for the camera its pretty cool

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I assume you have considered and ruled out importing a car from the US. Is your import duty on new cars from the US as punative as it used to be? IIRC it was about 75%. I guess you wouldn't have warranty coverage either.

8. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
  9. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good question, I didn't check.. it had smartkey operation on the driver door but I am sure all Prius' have that dont they?

But yeah it sounds like what you said, Canadian Model with leather seats.. its not too bad really, the rearview camera made the gadget geek in me giddy with excitement. on the X5 I have regular rearview camera in the screen on the dashboard and while that is very cool, something about the rearview mirror camera made me like it more.

10. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Prius 4 sells for 29-32K plus tax. The difference is not that much if you consider that sales tax in Mexico is 15-20%. The Prius should be a great car for Mexico City or any other city in Mexico.

11. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are right about that, although the one we have here doesnt have any of the niceties the Prius 4 has right? like the solar roof and the cruise control with that laser radar thing.. it only has the regular cruise control

12. Bruno_S

Bruno_S New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I paid 32+tax=35 for a 4 with leather, nav and solar roof. No 17" wheels, laser radar or LED headlights. I do have the 3 door keyless entry system. Tax here is 9.75%. Add another 10% in tax and you are close to 40K.

13. kuhne

kuhne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you put it like that it doesn't sound too bad... Although this one doesn't have the nav or the solar roof or smart key on every door.. It's basically a basic prius with leather seats and a reverse camera with the monitor on the rearview mirror.

It does have home link on the rearview mirror as well but I guess I could do worst right? I will use my iPhone mounted on the dashboard for navigation and music anyways. And I don't believe we will be getting anything newer as far as prius goes here in Mexico anytime soon