1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ICE starts, shudders to a stop, gives error, stops

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by green_in_ca, Sep 8, 2007.

1. green_in_ca

green_in_ca New Member

My husband just replaced the 12v battery in my '02 Prius with one purchased at the Toyota dealership. The following is happening:

Car starts right way
    Within 5 seconds, he gets the red triangle of death
    It says "Problem" and then the engine shudders to a stop

Any suggestions? I have to drive this car to work on Monday because it has the HOV stickers.

Yesterday was the 5th anniversary of buying this car and the battery died today. We had an extended warranty but I guess it's out of warranty now by 2 days. :(

2. green_in_ca

green_in_ca New Member

My husband just replaced the 12v battery but now he's thinking that it's the same problem we had in Jan 2004 with a computer module. The electric part is working fine, but the engine shudders to a stop after it starts and we get the red triangle with "Problem." I'm quite sure there was a recall on this and we were covered under it, but now it's happened again. There must have been a TSB for this. Anybody know what it's called or the TSB #? If so, that might be very helpful.

We're out of warranty by 2 days, but if it's a recall item, it would still be covered by Toyota, right?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Please read this recent discussion

http://priuschat.com/Help-02-Prius-wonand39t-run-t38446.html

Whether or not the TSB pertains depends on stored codes. A TSB is not a recall, so post-warranty coverage would have to be negotiated. That topic has also been discussed recently.

If the motion of the throttle plate is blocked by soot buildup, that would be easy to clean, but we are getting ahead of ourselves. We need to know the codes, or at least have the car carefully inspected.

As you appear to be in a hurry :) I suggest you call the service department at Claremont Toyota. I had very good Prius dealings with Eric Foster there. Hi Eric!

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it dies that quickly, it was probably never running in the first
    place. See if you can get a code-reader on it and pull the
    diagnostics. Check that you can open the throttle butterfly using
    the spring assembly on the passenger side of the throat, and make
    sure it's not stuck. [with the car powered off; if it's powered on
    it will actively fight your attempt to move it.] Make sure you've
    got fuel...
    _H*

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What behavior was it exhibiting BEFORE you replaced the battery? IOW, why did it need to be replaced?

6. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There might be some dealerships in OC that have service open on Sunday- try maybe Power in Irvine??