1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ice water pump leaking....again after replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by JC91006, Dec 17, 2013.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is weird, I just replaced my ICE water pump 2 months ago and now upon inspection, I notice there is pink seepage coming out of the pump again. Although it's a very very slight amount, but being the fluid is pink, I can see the stuff coming out again.

Has anyone else noticed this happen after replacement? My only guess right now would be some old fluid dripped on the part and wasn't wiped clean....just to dry and cake up around the seepage area. I've cleaned it off and see what comes of this in a month. I just don't want to replace that damn pump again.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have known new pumps to have a very small leak until the carbon ring seal beds in to its metal slip ring. I would do as you suggest, and monitor the situation for another month before condemning the pump as faulty.

John (Britprius)

3. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    May I ask what brand the pump you installed was?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I went with a BOSCH brand pump. I ordered it from Amazon but the product came in a retail box with absolutely no protection. The pump was about $35. I normally would to go with the OEM but with all the threads I've read about leaking pumps, I wanted to avoid OEM on this pump.

5. Zedhomme

Zedhomme Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Try to figure out for sure whether it's leaking out one of the two holes or from around the gasket.
    Did you replace the gasket and make sure the mounting surface was smooth and no buildup?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

it's not leaking from the gasket, it's leaking from the center of the pump. I put a new gasket on and it was smooth.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you take a photo of the seepage prior to cleaning it off?
    I am wondering what is your inspection method? It is not easy to see the underside of the coolant pump when the engine undercover is installed.

It sounds like the new engine coolant pump is defective. The pump bearing should not leak at all.
    It is not likely that the seepage is due to fluid dripping on the new pump while it was being installed.

frodoz737 likes this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I was looking under when I changed the transaxle fluid. You can't see the leak from under the hood, just peep through and you can see while the car is up on a lift.

9. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I will share some info shortly.