1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If a Prius has the center display (mpg, camera, etc.), is that a higher level Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by buck_rogers, Sep 9, 2013.

1. buck_rogers

buck_rogers Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw one that is Prius Touring, and I read that is just a cut above the base. But then I found one for sale and it has the backup camera and the middle "screen" display that has the consumption and all that. It is a 2008.

Is this a higher trim level or just a lower end with more options, whatever that means.

2. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    here is a decsription of the various trims

Attached Files:

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You're completely backwards there. It is excusable since Toyota made it very confusing.

The "Touring" model has extra features over the base trim package it is in. However, many dealers and sellers have no idea what the heck they have and misrepresent the models as Tourings when they are not. The touring models come with larger diameter wheels, a stiffer chassis and a few minor handling things in addition to the interior trim options. If you are in the US, the Touring is generally the package #6 + touring package.

2008 models come in 6 standard flavours:

[​IMG]

They all have the MFD (the screen in the middle). If you have navigation then you will also see an extra button on the left side of the screen that shows the map data when you press it and an extra button on the steering wheel controls for the map feature. Other than that they look the same.

4. buck_rogers

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, because it has 15" aluminum wheels and the standard-sized rear spoiler.

The Touring has 16" aluminum wheels and a larger spoiler. It also has different struts/shocks.

6. buck_rogers

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh man. So they were pulling something over on me then. I'm glad I asked. Thanks for saving me. So it is low end? Base? Rough ride?

7. buck_rogers

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see it. I don't want to get ripped off. The touring has a spoiler that looks like this

[​IMG]

base,
    [​IMG]

8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Either that or they really didn't know. It is pretty confusing.

Figure it out look at the pictures and the chart. It has SKS because the little black buttons on the hatch and two front doors. Therefore it is above a package 1, not a base. Looking at the MFD, there is no navigation button so it is not a package 5 or 6. It doesn't seem to have fog lights, so it is a package 1-3. So that leaves packages #2 and #3.

So if it has the autodimming mirror or 6-disk CD changer, it is a package #3. Otherwise it is a package #2. To me it looks like a package #2. Non touring.

The touring has a rougher ride. To american's "better handling" means a stiff suspension so Toyota, like BMW and Audi, obliged.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We've seen that the fraction of Touring Prii on the used car market far exceeds the fraction that Toyota actually built. This is a very common mislabeling.

My quick tell is to look at the wheel covers, presuming no one swapped wheels. Touring had 7 spokes, regular GenIIs had 6 spokes. GenIII liftbacks have 5 spokes.

xpcman likes this.
  10. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    here is what the wheel cover looks like for the regular Prius and the Touring model

Attached Files:

11. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    hope this picture looks better

Attached Files:

12. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Over here in the UK, the Touring Gen II Prius is called the "T Spirit", then we have in descending levels of extras, the T4 and T3 models. While I'm pretty sure none of the T3's have SATNAV installed in the MFD, perplexingly, T4's have been known to come with the SATNAV package.
    However, to the best of my knowledge, ALL Gen II T Spirit's in the UK definitely come with SATNAV by default.

Judging by the lack of the NAV extra buttons on MDF of the so called Touring Prius in the pictures - and the lack of fog lights too, I would wager that sadly, it's definitely NOT a Touring model.