1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

If there are so many pre-orders...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Uh-Oh, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Uh-Oh

Uh-Oh Junior Member

How do dealers have cars on their lot?

2. lauren80ryan

lauren80ryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I ordered a package #3 with solar. They have 4 NO solars come in. I don't want that one!!:pout:

They now have 4 cars ON THE LOT. easy.:D

3. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just was over at my local dealer's lot, and they have some used '07s and '08s, but no 2010s. They have two allotments of 11 or 12 each coming sometime soon. I know that they actually have three of the first twelve not yet sold, one II, one III and one IV.

If someone is interested, let me know! The three they have available could reach the lot as early as June 29, but most likely won't be in until the first week of July.

I didn't ask about the second allocation of cars. The last I was told about it that allocation had all been reserved, but I don't know that it is still the case. If you are looking for a IV or a V in this area, you'd better grab what you can find, unless you are willing to wait until late this summer or into the fall. Of course, if you live here, you may want to find out about IVs or Vs sitting on lots somewhere. You just need to find those stray IVs and Vs!

4. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Just because the cars are reserved does not always mean they will sell. I have read many posts that dealers say that they have xx cars coming in but all are spoken for, then a day later someone walks in off the street and buys the same car.

It's easy to put a refundable $500 down on car 2 months ago but when it comes in, spending $24k more is not so easy for some people.
    If and when I decide the 2010 is right for us, I plan to walk in with a check and buy right from the lot or off the truck. Then again all I need is a base Prius III so my find will be easier then the Nav and sunroof fans. I also think you lose a ton of bargaining power when you pre-order a car.

5. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A red IV took 15 days to sell here, and there is a Silver III w Nav and a Blue V w Nav that have now been sitting at MSRP for 20 days - you could drive in and buy it today. It just depends on where you are.
    Because demand is not that strong everywhere, only some places. And I suspect pre-orders refers to dealers, not actual buyers - notice they never make the distinction? In other words, Toyota has lots of pre-orders (from dealers), but dealers don't have anywhere near as many pre-orders (from consumer/buyers). Or else they would not be sitting on lots anywhere. To support my allegation...

My wife had to have an Audi TT in 2001 when they first came out. Dealers claimed waiting lists months long all over. I went to Laurel Audi and they had about 4-5 sitting on their lot, 2 just received (red convertible and black hi-HP coupe). The salesman actually handed me a computer printout with over 40 names on it and the color/model TT they wanted. My wife wanted a black one, which they had, and he offered to sell it to me for MSRP right then - saying we just got these two in and no one on the waiting list has been called yet. I offered him less than MSRP, not much, and bought the car. I wonder what all the people on the waiting list would have done had they known...

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Meaning sell to the person who made the reservation? Very true! They'll sell, eventually, but see the referred post below about cars sitting for days, unsold. These could have been reserved - who knows?

If you are looking for a II or a III, and you are willing to wait, I suspect you'll have lots of opportunity. When you pre-order, you do it because there are specific things you want, or a color you can't live without, or a timeline you have to meet. Your bargaining power exists as far as the reach of your pen when signing the contract. You will ALWAYS be in a better position when you are willing to say either yes or no to a car on the lot the day you are there with a check book.

What dealership and where? We can't be too far away.

You may suspect that and may be correct. All I know is one dealership, and the three cars I noted are the only ones without customer names attached to them (and deposits written and delivered). I suspect some dealers sell the Prius very well and others don't. Most has to do with the clientele in the area of that dealership, but some has to do with the dealer's desire to sell the Prius. The dealership near me doesn't sell a lot of Tundras, but they do sell a lot of the Prius.

7. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    region and demand

In every part of the country, broken out region by region, there are always going to be certain package combinations that do better than others.

The demand for this car is also different in places fuel is pricier.

I have 43 more Prius inbound this month - after deducting the one I am delivering this afternoon - and of those 43, 25 are pre-sold with deposits holding them. That leaves 18 still available. But - that said, the last 2-3 cars that arrived w/o being presold were sold the same day they arrived. Some folks aren't sure enough about package, test drive, color combinations, or even how they feel about the purchase till a few cars hit the ground and they have a chance to feel them.

The last Prius change was the 2004 models, and back in late 2003, when that car came out, it was such a radical change to the old one, it couldn't fail. It also was boosted by Pioneer Preorders in the hundreds - I myself had 48 back then, and it took me over 3 months to satisfy the demand from original owners of 01-03 cars moving to the 2004's.

This Prius isn't such a radical change, and in CA, many of us who WOULD make a change are not now because of HOV stickers we still need or even real estate/financial/job issues.

Combine that with the fact that in 10-15 days time, they have no way yet to determine the most popular options/package combinations to know what to dial up. And, frankly, there is absolutely no harm in having a few unsold ones. What better way to show the cars off package by package, color for color, rather than have someone feel forced to choose color off a computer screen or swatch or off another car as example.

And, having cars on ground sure makes the consumer feel better about having a choice in what they are going to be driving for a while. I don't see anything bad about cars being on ground. Pickings will get slim soon enough, when the 2010 Camry hybrids and Highlander hybrids start production in late summer/early fall, and hybrid components and batteries will be needed for those, slimming Prius production due to parts being limited at first.

Dianne

8. Dolce

Dolce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can go look at a Toyota Tundra, which my dealer has 20 in the lot and he will still tell you that the car is in 'high demand'. He's bullshitting but it is basic marketing, tell people that your product is very special and everybody wants it, so you can justified asking for a high price for it. Then control the supply so that you release the units you have gradually. Just enough to meet demand but not much more. This kept the hype up for the Nintendo Wii for 3 years and is going to work for the Toyota Prius.

As long as a business knows that nobody else makes a product that is like their own, they can control and sustain the hype for their product as long as they can to keep their asking price high. They will eventually fill all orders, but there is no rush to flood the market with too many units. The "just in time" supply schedule is the best profit method for a manufacturer.

9. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am looking for a Pearl IV for $1000 off MSRP no dealer add ons. I just walked away from a dealer with a Pearl IV only add on was mats for $26,770 (base-paint-dest-mats) - we were only $395 apart. Maybe he'll call in the next few days. He has gotten in 4 so far, just sold his first and he has a Gray III w Solar that he said was not available. There are two anyone can buy today at MSRP (or lower based on my experience).

Patience is your friend.

1 person likes this.
  10. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He probably expects a busy weekend. They lost a sale for $395 but could make $1395 tomorrow. If it does not sell expect a call on Monday. You'll get your price. If not this week then the week after. Dealers haven't yet realized that Toyota no longer has a lock on the Hybrid market.

11. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Allocations don't always match up with buyers at a dealer. And dealers don't always trade.

I want a Blizzard V but my dealer can't get one (quickly). His first one came in unsold and sat (for a day) yet he has a buyer for one (me). Just didn't match up. I'm now waiting on a IV and he has one coming. Unless he trades with a dealer that has a V I'll be happy and take the IV. But a lot of poeple will wait on the one they want and thus some will sit on the lot while there are still people on waiting lists.

Since orders have to match up with what is made and shipped rather than the order going to the factory like on a Chevy, you have to wait until your order matches up with something available on a shipment.

Not a method we like here in the "I want it my way" USA, but it's a business model that works well enough for Toyota. Most of us are just fortunate we don't live in the SET where you get hit with fees and add-ons for the priviledge of purchasing a Toyota. I'd still be driving my Infiniti if I had to deal in the south.

12. jonathandz

jonathandz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm buying in Georgia, within the SET region. No add ons, no extra regional fees. I made that clear to the dealer when I placed the order to make sure nothing extra was added above and beyond what I requested. You just have to have a dealer that will work with you and be polite, but firm about what you want!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

13. LaMesaGuy

LaMesaGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The dealers didn't have any 2010 Prius on their lots when I was looking for a 2010 Prius. I put down a $500 fully refundable deposit at 6 Toyota dealerships in my area. Some of the dealers only had a 2010 Prius for customers to test drive. Now, dealers probably have a few 2010 Prius on their lot for sale.

14. LaMesaGuy

LaMesaGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I was in the 6th Toyota dealership to put a $500 refundable deposit down on a 2010 Prius V, a customer who pre-order a 2010 Prius with the same color and package as I wanted cancel his order. The 2010 Prius was at the dealer parked outside of the service parts area. The sales manager offer the 2010 Prius to me and I accept the offer immediately. Paid MSRP for the 2010 Prius. No markup and no discount. I was at the right place at the right time. Pure luck. I bet that some people who pre-order a 2010 Prius are cancelling their order for whatever reason.

15. Dolce

Dolce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The customers are cancelling their reserved orders because the port or stupid dealer decided to add $200 floor mats and rust proofing packages without the customer's permission :) it is the dealers fault for putting all these unwanted options in the car and just expect the customers to pay $4000 more for the car they originally budgeted for real world price.

16. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those dealers just guessed wrong. In better economic times, they have gotten away with add-ons, they are finding out even with a new model like the 2010 Prius, most people won't bite. It's a fascinating dance, buying a car. Most buyers don't realize they almost always have some leverage to work with (incl the 2010 Prius), all dealers know how to lead the dance if you let them.