1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ignition Coils, and Catalytic Converter, and Oil...Oh my!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by petersw, May 31, 2016.

1. petersw

petersw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got a 2004 Prius with about 140,000 miles. Overall, the car has worked great, and I've kept up with regular service.

Several months ago, I started having bad misfiring of the engine. When I got it into the shop, it turned out to be two faulty ignition coils. The shop advised me to replace them all, which I did. Soon afterwards, however, the CEL came on, indicating a P0420 - "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1".

From reading online, this seems to be a common problem after having a bad ignition coil. I've tried the "home remedy" (Gummout), but the light keeps coming back on after I reset it.

Now, I'm also starting to notice that the car is burning a lot of oil. So much so that after only 2500 miles or so, the Red Triangle warning comes on along with the oil can. When I checked, it was almost empty.

So, my question is what to do next...Can the damaged catalytic converter impact oil use? Do I need to now spend $1k or so on a new converter, or should I be putting that money into another system on the car? I really don't want to give up the Prius, but I'm getting worried that it may be showing its age...

Advice greatly appreciated!!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the oil burning is the initial problem: it's clogging the CAT?

scona likes this.
  3. petersw

petersw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, but I don't recall having any oil problem prior to the coils and CAT...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The oil burning is probably what killed the cat. You haven't noticed oil burning because you've never checked. Only reason you noticed this time around, the warning light lit up with low oil pressure, which probably damaged the engine even more now.

I'd suggest you save your money and buy another prius, this one can be scrapped for parts or for someone as a project.

It'll need an engine, cat, hv battery in the near future, so unless you're prepared for all those repairs, I would just move on to another one

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    +1 to this. When the oil warning pops up it really means NO oil. Irreparable damage is done the the engine in this situation.

When a car is using oil, drivers need to be checking the dip-stick every fill up and topping up as required.

6. petersw

petersw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, thanks for the troubling news... Next stop is to bring it into a garage that I trust and make the cost/benefit decision...

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which garage did you take it into, and are there any updates worth sharing?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. petersw

petersw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, the story turned out to have a happy ending. I found out (through the great folks at Lucious Garage in SF) that the catalytic converter has a 150,000 mile warranty on it. So I brought the car to the Toyota dealer, and the converter was replaced at no charge!

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good News! I didn't know it was 150,000 miles, I thought there was a time limit. Maybe it's 15 years/ 150,000 miles

10. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I assume the car is still burning oil?