1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IIHS "poor" rating on 'small overlap front' test crash

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Koko, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder why the IIHS waited so long to start testing for small-overlap crashes? Is it because most vehicles were passing the standard overlap crash test and they wanted to push standards a bit higher? There is almost no accident in the real world that will meet the exact criteria they test for, BUT their test results do eventually produce safer vehicles. The Toyota products are caught during mid-cycle from when their cars were designed to meet all known crash test criteria and now don't meet the new tests. The majority of the cars on the road today don't meet the new small overlap test, and many of them don't meet the older over-lap test either. I still think I'm driving a vehicle that is safer than most cars on the road today. Of course over time this will change and I will at some point have to choose whether or not to upgrade to a new vehicle or stay with my older "unsafe" vehicle.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that the "small overlap front" crash test is relatively new, and a new standard of evaluation.

It's not that I wouldn't be concerned, and my guess is that as a result of this test Toyota does work to improve future models. I don't expect much to be done about models already sold or in production.

And while watching the video, can be disturbing, I would think that's a difficult test for any vehicle to pass. Most vehicles are designed to use the entire front end to absorb an impact and in that test the impact is being focused and aimed at ONLY the drivers side....right in front of the driver. I would hope that Toyota and all automakers work to improve results in this type of specific crash, but it doesn't surprise me that given the physics of that specific crash, many cars don't do particularly well.

As far as well being and safety? I still think in general Toyota's are designed with a lot of attention to safety. You could switch vehicles to one that does better, I'm sure they exist. But IMO an accident is a random and unpredictable event. You really can't create a machine or environment that is going to protect fully against any and all type of possible crashes.

For years, I drove a small pick-up...and the safety ratings were HORRIBLE. It was basically a rolling death trap. It was an early 90's Nissan Pick-up. Not even an air bag. I simply made the decision that I would trade economical ownership and utility for what was a degree of safety. I drove it knowing I was taking a risk if I was unfortunately involved in any major accident.

Of course I did not have a family....it was mostly only myself. So I felt the majority of the risk I was taking was only my own.

We strap ourselves into metal boxes that can go upwards of 50, 60 70 MPH +, there is really no way to totally divorce ourselves from the risk of injury and even death that reality can create. It's up to us personally to evaluate how much risk we want to take or expose ourselves to...

So to the OP? If the failure of the vehicle in this test is disturbing to you? I think about your only option would be to make a change to a vehicle that has a proven crash test safety record on all fronts, that you feel happy with.

Zythryn and jhinsc like this.
  3. errathofkosh

errathofkosh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    And I could create a test that not only occurs regularly in reality, but that very few cars could pass... rear-ending a flat-bed semi. I call it the upper-offset impact test.

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius has been updated and those built after November 2013 now get the top rating of Top Safety Pick+ from the IIHS. The Camry has also been updated and those built after the same date are a Top Safety Pick.

News releases

wjtracy, jhinsc and Zythryn like this.
  5. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news - only a matter of time it would happen.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    bought our hycam in june, dang!now i have to keep steering for the head on.:p

7. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope I'm not coming the other way! :whistle:

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...OK you got it yes, do we think it is all models v, PiP, c, LB?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    non confrontational?:cool:

retired4999 likes this.
  10. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not sure if this is true but I heard the majority of crash tests are conducted at 35mph and that at 65 mph cars that pass the crash test would be few to none.

11. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

IIHS moderate and small overlap tests are done at 40mph. NHTSA frontal tests are done at 35mph. You are right that at 65mph few will survive a head-on collision, especially if the other vehicle is also traveling 65mph. This is why divided highways with good center barriers are such an important safety feature.

12. Moonbat

Moonbat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Does that mean only 2014 models? We bought our 2013 Prius in late November, but I'm not sure when it was manufactured--undoubtedly earlier than November.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out your door sticker on the front door where the tire pressures are, see if the mfg date is on there

14. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Goes to show that the safest cars are the newest cars. You are not taking advantage of modern safety technology if you drive a 20 year old car. If the op wants to be as safe as possible it would be advisable to buy a new car every 3-5 years or at least with every major redesign of the model being driven. Safety is one factor in choosing a vehicle but inevitably money comes into play as well.

15. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Just out of curiosituy where did you see those 'high safety ratings'
    BIG squashes little. Its the penalty for high mpg's. Size matters because there is more room for allowing the vehicle body to collarse before including you. Size equals weight, weight equals less mpg.
    Its amazing that modern small cars do as well as they do, especially in the frontal offset head on crashes. And I suspect the Yaris does better than the Prius C because the battery/motor takes up room that the Yaris utilizes to let the chassis collarse before the impact reaches occupants. It will be intersting to see if the new Prius C based on the Mazda2 is considerabl better. If I remember the current Mazda2 got good ratings for a small car in those offset head-0n crash tests. (Incidently, those offset tests are more indicative of crashworthyness because so few crashes occur nose to nose.)
    The redeeming factotr for small cars is their ability to change direction quicker and thus more likely to avoid or minimize the crash, but if the impact occurs like the test...
    Oh, and take good note that the seat belt is the most important part of your Prius - orany other vehicle. Letting you decelerate at the same rate as your car is far farbetter than flying untethered
    into the dashborad - and beyond. Try ding a hard braking with a doll untethered in the seat and see how hard it smacks the dash and then realize that a crash stops you vehicle much much quicker.
    Just ask responders how it is removing bodies that obviously weren't belted. So much for being unbelted so you'll fly out of the car and not be in the crash. All these I know about contacted trees and telephone poles. Or that windshield which didn't quite fly out as much as they thought.

Just out of curiosituy where did you see those 'high safety ratings'
    BIG squashes little. Its the penalty for high mpg's. Size matters because there is more room for allowing the vehicle body to collarse before including you. Size equals weight, weight equals less mpg.
    Its amazing that modern small cars do as well as they do, especially in the frontal offset head on crashes. And I suspect the Yaris does better than the Prius C because the battery/motor takes up room that the Yaris utilizes to let the chassis collarse before the impact reaches occupants. It will be intersting to see if the new Prius C based on the Mazda2 is considerabl better. If I remember the current Mazda2 got good ratings for a small car in those offset head-0n crash tests. (Incidently, those offset tests are more indicative of crashworthyness because so few crashes occur nose to nose.)
    The redeeming factotr for small cars is their ability to change direction quicker and thus more likely to avoid or minimize the crash, but if the impact occurs like the test...
    Oh, and take good note that the seat belt is the most important part of your Prius - orany other vehicle. Letting you decelerate at the same rate as your car is far farbetter than flying untethered
    into the dashborad - and beyond. Try ding a hard braking with a doll untethered in the seat and see how hard it smacks the dash and then realize that a crash stops you vehicle much much quicker.
    Just ask responders how it is removing bodies that obviously weren't belted. So much for being unbelted so you'll fly out of the car and not be in the crash. All these I know about contacted trees and telephone poles. Or that windshield which didn't quite fly out as much as they thought.

If safety is your absolute concern you need to have a big 6 passenger 4 door truck.

16. Cape Codder

Cape Codder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Vehicle details

Better read the details. There is NO WAY that the "new" 2014's pass all test.

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Basically right.

Bwilswon4web has taken issue w/IIHS moving their goal posts and then bashing Toyota along they way. Examples of him pointing this out:
    IIS and a preliminary report | PriusChat
    Consumer Reports pulls Toyota recommendations (Prius v, RAV4, Camry) | Page 2 | PriusChat
    Toyota human model and LA Times response | PriusChat

18. DWVolt

DWVolt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's not worth driving it. Trade it in.

The Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf both have the highest rating of "good" for this type of crash. This is a crash that can kill you if your Prius is hit by an approaching vehicle on a two lane street. This is a common type of crash.

I own a 2014 Volt and it has the highest owner satisfaction two years in a row for good reason. Currently my lifetime average fuel economy is 102.3 mpg and should eventually reach about 150 mpg with my commute (54 miles RT). Most drivers are closer to 200-250 mpg and never use gas except on extended drives. I paid $31,195 -$7,500 tax refund -$1,500 CA rebate = $22,195. The car goes 0-60 in 8.7 sec (Prius is over 10 sec), 273 lbs of torque at 0 RPM, and uses only electic for about 42-43 miles before it goes to gas generator for over 300 miles if necessary. It is smaller than a Prius, but it handles great, stops quickly, very quiet ride, and it has 5 star safety rating. To top it off I got a green car pool sticker from CA DMV for $8 that is good until Jan 2019.

19. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No car is perfect, don't forget the volt had issues with its gas tank in a side impact crashes, with fire and or explosion! Crash tests are not real world accidents, these tests are indicators of the worst accidents possible, think of all the poor rated cars prior to the test, even Mercedes and BMW did not pass, and they are some of the safest cars on the road. So maybe you should trade in your volt for a Tesla, the safest car on the road, oh wait even the safest car on the road may catch on fire. My point is no car is the safest, just be a safe driver and watch out for the other idiots on the road.

20. DWVolt

DWVolt New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Base