1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Illumination gone all wonky HELP!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by joshguild, Jul 24, 2007.

1. joshguild

joshguild New Member

hello,
    i attempted to install the OEM EV switch on my 2005 prius using phone wiretaps to get into the illumination switches wiring. i followed the instructions correctly (at least i thought i did) but i don't have an illuminated EV switch and, in addition, my dash illumination is jacked. there is no middle ground, just very dim to blinding. another thing that happened is that my MFD flickers now when it's not on the brightest setting and the MFD buttons don't light up at all.

so what did i do wrong?
    is this reversible (short of going to the dealer)?

please help.

Sezy likes this.
  2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joshguild @ Jul 24 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]484316[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds to me like one of the taps is in the wrong place, or one of the wires for the button is shorting out, or in the wrong spot. First thing would be to try disconnecting the button from the plug at the back, and see if everything goes back to normal. If it does, you likely just have the wrong connections on the pins for the button. Double-check the instructions. If it still has the problem with the switch disconnected, you may have a problem with your taps - If they're just crimp-on taps, you should be able to carefully pop them open and remove them without damaging the wires too much. If things start working again, that's a good sign.

Then check the instructions again to make sure everything is correct. I'll attach the version of the instructions I have here.

Dave

Attached Files:

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm sure it's fixable without the intervention of the dealer.
    First and foremost - and this is important! - is to breathe. Breathe deeply and often. If you forget this, the rest doesn't matter.
    Oh yeah, and eat something. (inside joke, perhaps I'll explain some day)

Refer to this illustration I drew for the 2004/05 Prius EV switch.
    [attachmentid=10090]

Check and recheck to ensure that you've tapped the correct wires and only these wires.
    Please note: wire #2 from the rheostat does not get tapped.

Attached Files:

4. joshguild

joshguild New Member

thanks for the help.
    i disconnected the EV button and i still got the flux.
    there is a tiny rip in the red (live?) wire sheath coming from the illumination control, which could explain the reason it's shorting out on me.
    also it doesn't seem to be related to movement at all. (i.e. if i wiggle the wire, it doesn't fix/hurt.)

i have electrical tape wrapped around the booboo but this didn't help the short, any fix for this?

Sezy likes this.
  5. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You did what I did and blew the panel fuse. Once you replace that you'll be good as new. I had a hard time finding them at auto parts stores, it's a new kind of fuse. But found it at the Toyota dealer for something like two bucks...

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=327546

6. joshguild

joshguild New Member

awesome.
    i'll go pick one up soonlike, maybe this weekend.

hopefully it won't blow again right after i put it in.

thanks so much for the help.
    i would have lost my mind had this stuck around.

7. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Jul 25 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]484885[/snapback]</div>
    Just to clarify on the "new fuse" type, it was on my 2006 model at least. I don't know about older or newer models...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joshguild @ Jul 26 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]485622[/snapback]</div>
    In my case, I had miswired the switch, which is what blew the fuse. I fixed that, but the problems persisted until I replaced the fuse. If you aren't aware of having messed something up, and you haven't fixed it yet, I'd double check the switch wiring and make sure you got it right...

8. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 24 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]484338[/snapback]</div>

How can this illustration possibly be helpful when it doesn't identify the rheostat wire colors ? And since the EV switch's harness is a vertical orientation, how is a horizontal wire illustration gonna ID the proper ev switch wires?

*Warning... anyone doing a '06-'07 ev switch, the switch-harness wire orientation is different.

9. joshguild

joshguild New Member

so the good doctor hit the nail on the head.
    it was the fuse. i popped a new one in and *bam*, let there be light.

however, my wiring is bad because i pressed the switch and the fuse blew again.

i was using the above .pdf guide as my....guide. so i'm wired as such:

top to bottom

EV button Rheostat

IL+ grey
    IL- red
    EV+ ECU
    EV- white/black

keep in mind i have a 2005.

the IL- to the red seems a bit odd to me, red is usually positive.
    if anyone can just list how they have theirs wired in this same fashion as above, i would be much obliged.

oh and tell me how to rewire it without having to pop the wiretaps off (i.e. popping the pins out with a jeweler's screwdriver and switching them around)

thank you so much to everyone who's helped me thus far, i'd be freaking out without you.

gah, that EVbutton/Rheostat match up didn't post in the columns how i wanted.
    should have coded some tables. anyways, if someone could just post it like that, i'll get the gist of it.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 27 2007, 05:15 PM) [snapback]486375[/snapback]</div>
    I made that illustration after the installation of my own EV button to supplement the PDF Josh posted in his original post. Once you read page 4 of the PDF, you will understand that the wires are described by position as well as color. I have passed this illustration to several '04/'05 owners who appreciate the graphical addition to the textual explination. If you find it unhelpful, I'm fine with that.

11. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(9G-man @ Jul 27 2007, 03:15 PM) [snapback]486375[/snapback]</div>
    The first post in the thread I referenced was updated after I fixed my problem to reflect the correct pin configuration for an 06+ if anyone wants to use that as a reference.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joshguild @ Jul 29 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]487103[/snapback]</div>
    Yay!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joshguild @ Jul 29 2007, 10:19 AM) [snapback]487103[/snapback]</div>
    Bummer.
    Mine was an '06, and those are different. Perhaps they changed the wiring midway through the '05 year? Are you sure yours is an '05? Maybe you got it in late '05 and it's really an '06? In any case, you could try the wiring listed in the first post of the thread I pointed to. Worst that will happen is you pop the fuse again... Fortunately they're cheap. :)
    Probably your best bet is to pop the wiretaps off -- or cut your wires and simply use new taps leaving the old ones there. Moving pins around can be fiddly and you may break something.

12. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Which fuse is this exactly? Link no longer works. I have the same issue but happened after I added some LEDs in the arm rest or messing with the backup camera. Tested all the traditional fuses under the steering wheels and replaced my dimmer switch.

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The people from a 10 year old thread have moved on with their life.
    Perhaps you should have started a new thread since this one did not help.

14. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The panel fuse is in the interior fuse box under the steering wheel. Labelled "panel"

IMG_0959.jpg

Sezy likes this.
  15. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Awesome, it was confusing looking for a fuse panel fuse named panel. Turns out it's a low profile fuse.

16. Sezy

Sezy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Hooray!!!!!! It works finally after a year + of living with it.

Prodigyplace likes this.