1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm a 41%er....who returns to buy a hybrid.

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Apr 10, 2012.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1 person likes this.
  2. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Proud to be a 41%er!

3. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The real question is how many previous Prius owners are even buying
    something else at all. Most are probably hanging onto the most reliable and highest mileage car on the road... The Prius.

59% of that number of people may not be many.

4. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My old Prius is in the hands of my son now, so it's technically still in the family.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ha ha ha ha ha good try MSN. So why are hybrid sales increasing year on year on year?

I remember about 10 years ago that MSN was influencial, but haven't heard of it since. That and this 'story' of theirs confirms what I think of them.

Oh I forgot to add, I don't think I'll buy another Prius as the price here has gone up way too much compared to the competition - the same competition that has been improving its game and catching up with Toyota.

:)

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    41% buys a new old school hybrid and the rest get a plugin hybrid or EV ;-)

7. Prius 06

Prius 06 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    R.L. Polk, reminds me of cnw marketing......probably just as a reliable source as well.

Every person I know who has a Hybrid, from myself with our 06 Prius, to my uncle with a 08 Prius and a 08 Highlander Hybrid to name a few, LOVES them and will always return for another Toyota Hybrid.
    200,000 kms on mine now, and nothing more then oil changes, transmission fluid, coolent and brake fluid changed.
    It just keeps going...which is why I'm not one of the 41%................yet.

8. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Count me in too.

There's too much good stuff in the Prius, and I hope the next generation will have even more goodies.

9. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like this passage "The 2013 Nissan Altima, for example, is expected to deliver 38 mpg on the highway, Ford’s next-generation Fusion close behind at 37 – both yielding only slightly less than the current Camry Hybrid. Hyundai, meanwhile, boasts five different models now getting over 40 mpg on the highway." Assuming those numbers are real-world, and I don't think they are, they still suck compared to what many of us are used to and I don't see myself giving up the 60-ish MPG I routinely get for something so low.

The article does touch upon an interesting point though, and that is that hybrids are still only a small part of the market. I think the high initial cost is the principal reason. I finally bought a Prius because I decided "I'm 53, so I am going to buy the car I ****ing want for once" and to heck with the higher initial. I've wanted one since they came out, but never did because I balked at the initial cost. I think many people are doing the same.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    our pip will be our fourth hybrid and when my wife gets her new hycam/fusion hybrid this summer, that will be five in eight years. we won't buy anything else until something better comes along. i think gm is skewing the poll. i would like to see a poll of toyota's only. i would wager it's closer to 75-80%.

11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We have six people in our coffee group all on their 2nd Pruis some on their third Pruis I am on my 2nd, 2012 Pruis plug-in great car we are all really pleased! 41 percent ? :cheer2:

12. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, at my house, we're keeping a Prius, selling a Venza (Great car, not such great mileage) and replacing the Venza with a PiP.

So is 2 x 41% = 82%??? :eek:

(We'll make it 41.001% or thereabout)

(doesn't count the BMW, tho)

13. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too! since my 2010 Prius was only getting 35mpg due to the fact I'm only 2.7 miles from work. looking forward to the pip! :rockon:

14. Biking Maniac

Biking Maniac Five Prius – have not sold one yet!

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My tag line says it all - we are sold on these cars! Maybe it was the survey calling when I was out admiring my car the other day and ignored the phone...

15. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does Gladys Knight have a PIP?

16. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  17. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  18. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Anecdotally, I had a Gen2 Prius which I replaced with a Prius Plug-in. The Gen2 Prius then replaced my parents' Corolla. My former roommate replaced his car with a Gen3 Prius, probably in some part due to my owner satisfaction. My girlfriend bought a Gen2 Prius and is very happy with it.

Any anecdotes for the 59% who switched away from the Prius? They probably don't frequent this forum, but we should be able to get some stories, either someone a forum member knows or something if the percentage is that high. I suspect a good portion of those people are the affluent ones that could buy the Prius for the yellow carpool stickers, and dumped them as soon as they expired.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That group, and people that still have a hybrid but did not want two (or more.)

What fraction of multiple car owners have identical models, or even cars in the same class ? This survey belongs in the 'Errant conclusions from limited data' journal.

20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe one factor is: Why trade in your Prius? My 2002 has 150K miles, and is running fine. I kept it an got the Plug-In for the HOV sticker. There is something screwy about those statistics. I don't know any Prius owners who have traded in their Prius for a non-hybrid.

And I guess those who trade in their Prius Hybrid for a pure EV like the Leaf or Tesla are also counted in the 59%.

Per Mark Twain: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, d**** lies and statistics."