1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I'm in it now - Front wheel bearing/hub replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by perfectspeed, Aug 18, 2009.

1. perfectspeed

perfectspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok,

I'm new to this forum and tuned in to see if anyone else had walked this front wheel bearing replacement path. It appears not, or at least there was no good info, so I'll contribute and maybe someone else may benefit. This was a pretty tricky job in my opinion so I'll try to be detailed.

After 134k miles, the front wheel bearings were howling so loud in our 2004, that I was afraid of catestrophic failure. Normally I do most of my maintenance, even the hard stuff, but never seemed to have the time to get to this, so I took it into the dealer in Salinas and said fix it. Somehow that got translated into do a 120k mile service. They didn't even drive it afterward or they'd have heard the front end noise.

Pissed off, and having read someone's comment from this forum that it's a simple "4 bolts and a little fussing with a dust shield, but no big deal," I ordered the new hubs and tore into the right front yesterday. I stopped when I got cold in the evening having separated wheel, brake caliper, rotor, 4 hub bolts, but not the axle nut. :(

Today, I hit it intending to finish it off quick, but instead spent 4 hours disassembling and reassembling that hub three times. I stopped when I got cold. Day two, not done yet. No joke. This is not an easy repair.

First, the 12 pt. splined 30 mm axle nut is difficult to remove. I had to grind a drift punch with a duck bill to lift the flange dent sunken into the axle keyway. Turn the impact driver way up and hammer on it quite a while before it backed off.

Next, the four bolts retaining the hub on the hub carrier are really too close to the CV boot dust shield. And these same bolts are flanged and and the flange interferes with the dust shield flare on the trailing edge. I backed them out but did not remove them due to this interference. Then I used a large 3 jaw puller to separate the axle from the inner hub spline.

Next the outer hub circumferential machined interface with the hub carrier seemed to be "glued" together. I had to use a propane torch and carefully heat the aluminum carrier and tap the hub flange with the lug studs to free it. upon examination, I found electrolysis had occurred at that interface. So I used some 320 grit sandpaper to carefully remove the corrosion from the aluminum hub carrier inner machined surface.

Then I cleaned it all up and began to reassemble everything. This is when I pulled bonehead move number one and managed to invert the brake dust shield. I got it all bolted back together and went to put on the brake disk on when I discovered the interference. That was the second time I took it apart. :eek:

Upon reassembly this time, I managed to just hang the edge of the CV joint dust shield on the inside edge of the hub and crushed it when I drew it into the carrier with the axle nut. It is nearly impossible to see that dust shield alignment.

That was the third time I disassembled the mess. :mad: To remove the destroyed dust shield I had to separate the macphereson strut from the hub carrier and remove the lower link from the hub carrier so I could swing it out on the steering rack tie rod end and release the drive axle and pull off the dust shield. Fun.

Tomorrow I'll go buy a new CV boot dust shield and a new axle nut since they're only supposed to be used once, and hopefully button it up properly.

Oh, I forgot to mention that during my first reassembly effort, the axle spline alignment wasn't quite right with the four bolts and their holes while in park, so I went to put the car in neutral so I could rotate it a bit. Naturally I stepped on the brake and hit the button and shifted to N. That's when the engine started and the brake pedal sunk and I realized I had just pushed the caliper piston out of its pocket. I had to futz with that for 20 minutes to pump it back into position.

I'm usually pretty good with a wrench, but this job has fought me the whole time. You should be prepared ahead of time with the right tools. Close clearances require a thin wall socket for the four 14mm hub bolts, and the axle nut is really a pain with that detent in it. You'll need a modified drift punch to lift the dent somewhat so you can spin the nut without damaging axle threads. I was worried about stripping threads if I didn't drift punch and lift that detent out. Then there's that CV Boot dust shield. That's the real pain in the nice person. You can't see if its square in the back of the hub. You have to kind of study it all around to make sure you've got is set right. Go slow or you'll crush it. So in addition to the new hubs, you should also buy new axle nuts since they're meant to not be reused.

That's it.

:cool: Cheers.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure if the Prius is any more difficult to replace a hub bearing than any other modern front wheel drive car. For example, the axle nut: the shop manual clearly calls for the SST to unstake the nut from the shaft

Last year I helped a neighbor replace the driver side sealed hub bearing on a 2003 Nissan minivan, that was an adventure. We needed a hydraulic press to press out the old hub and press on the new hub. Since he had moved here from Ontario, the much increased use of road salt in winter meant all the bolts were rusted/seized pretty good. Took us a few days

I have more bad news for you: when you inadvertently entered Ready mode to shift the transaxle into N, the electric brake boost pump ran, and the caliper piston shot out. You will now need a dealership scantool to properly bleed the brakes. They are impossible to bleed the old fashioned way

Please read this link. I have posted the correct shop manual bleeding sequence in the link

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...em-rear-brakes-no-pressure-when-bleeding.html

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. A car as complicated as Prius, a subscription to TIS or All Data DIY is a must

Yaga1973 likes this.
  3. joetho

joetho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I have a 2002 prius 220,000 miles, and I am faced with a front end hum that changes when I turn or swerve. I am assuming it is either one or both wheel bearings or halfshafts, but I am not having any luck with either diagnosis or figuring out which part is which.

Are the wheel bearings for around ten bucks at O'Reilly's totally a wrong part? Should they cost a lot more? And they don't list a replacement "hub" at all, or at least not that I can find.

How about aftermarket half shafts- any tips or known problems with that?

Thanks, Joe

4. joetho

joetho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Huh. Doofus here relied on the phone call to the parts store- when I looked it up in their catalog the wheel bearing wasn't any ten bucks at all, and it does in fact list both a wheel bearing (around $60) and a wheel bearing/hub assembly (around $130). Never mind about that part. Sorry.

Is there any reason to replace the whole hub- it looks like you have to take everything apart anyway, and pressing the bearing out and back in to the existing hub doesn't look that tough. Very good notes from the original poster, by the way. Thanks!!

However, if it IS the halfshaft, are there any issues with replacing a Prius halfshaft?

5. joetho

joetho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    post script:

I bought a new wheel bearing for about $50, pulled the brake off and cut little lines around the axlenut dent, using a small cutoff wheel on a dremel tool. Then driving a filed-down screwdriver in there popped it right out and the nut came off easily with no damage whatsoever. I suppose I could have re-used it but a new one was about $6 from the toyota dealer.

Disconnected battery before I took the brake off. Pressed it down a bit with a c-clamp and put new pads on while I had it off- the inboard one had come apart a little and was pretty super thin.

Anyway, I rented a hub puller to get the thing off, and took the whole mess to a machine shop. They pressed out the old bearing and put the new one in for me, charging $42 to do that.

Then I put the other set of pads on the other brake.

Problem solved. Noise gone. Yaaaaay!

oh yeah- cause of noise in the oem sealed bearing? I took it apart, found hardly any grease, and 200+k miles had worn a little groove in the race.

6. 07blkprius

07blkprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here are some pictures of Wheel bearing replacement that I did on my 2007 toyota prius.

1. wheel hub bearing costs: $138 each
    2. AIR tools ONLY. 1-3/16" socket to remove the Axle Lock Nut and 10mm to remove ABS/Speed sensor, 14mm to remove wheel hub bolts and 17mm remove Brake caliper.
    3. NOT easy job, there is metal cover behind the bearing, it is pretty tough to get this piece put it back in place.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      80.6 KB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      82 KB
      Views:
    • 04.JPG
      04.JPG
      File size:
      81.3 KB
      Views:
    • 05.JPG
      05.JPG
      File size:
      87.5 KB
      Views:
    • 06.JPG
      06.JPG
      File size:
      94.1 KB
      Views:
    • 07.JPG
      07.JPG
      File size:
      75.7 KB
      Views:
    • 08.JPG
      08.JPG
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
    • 09.JPG
      09.JPG
      File size:
      78 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      121.9 KB
      Views:
    Kpeeling, Donar, ejceles and 7 others like this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

Odometer reading?

Did you need to remove the wheel lugs for service clearance?

BTW I recently bought a front hub & bearing, part # 43510-47011, for $68 plus shipping, from Champion Toyota - Houston. MSRP is $89.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well this looks a lot easier than a Camry or RAV4 wheel bearing replacement!!
    Most FWD cars need a special puller to change a front wwheel bearing.

9. joe350gt

joe350gt It's too windy here...

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    great thread and info as always..my '05 with 180K has a howling/roaring noise from the front left which I'm guessing is the bearing. I have an appt. for tomorrow to get it in...local shop, not the Toyota dealer. Can I just have the shop do the noisy one only? I know the other will probably start making noise one of these days but I'd rather space out the costs if possible. It also makes some creaking/groaning type noise at low speeds over bumps and I'm figuring it the struts. Hopefully they will be replacing those as well. Aside from regular fluid changes and tires this will be the first thing to have failed or wore out on my car. It's been just awesome!!

10. deeno

deeno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They're going to recommend you replace both sides. Sounds like you already know this, but it's just a matter of time before the other one goes too. I would ask to see what kind of discount you would get for doing the other bearing at the same time. Typically when getting this much work done at an indy, you should get some sort of break. If not and you don't mind being without your car for another day in the future, it can wait.

If I were trying to pinch pennies I would skip the strut replacement. Groaning I would think would be more likely a bushing than the struts.

11. MERIDIAN

MERIDIAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To the OP,
    As a certified mechanic i've got to admit that sometimes you can have a real $h!tty day like the one you had but for you to air your shortcomings and fight it out really takes a big pair of stones,grit and determination.I like that!:rockon:
    Glenn

Ernie stires, Graz and Donar like this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    oy vey ~

[​IMG]

You know ... your economy wedge set ... it isn't THAT much less expensive than a nice/real set:

[​IMG]

I'm just sayin' ...

:p

13. doctorrc

doctorrc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I assume your Prius isn't like the photos posted by blk07prius. That hub assembly is held on the steering knuckle with nuts. I assume ours is machine pressed onto it. You said you pulled it with a hub puller, but how did you reinstall it? The service manual says to have it pressed in. I would much rather just remove the hub assembly rather than the entire steering knuckle if it's possible.

14. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    has anyone had the bearing housing stick into the aluminum and if so what did you do?

15. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Has anyone had to replace the knuckle because of bearing hub stuck into it? I heated beat and beat it it will not come loose. any suggestions ???/

16. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got so lucky and got the hub out of the aluminum knuckle but my advice to anyone that lives in an area with snow and salt is remove the knuckle from the car it only takes 10 more minutes, then remove the thin metal piece that is on the back side, you only need a screw driver, its the piece that is in the way of the four bolts that hold the hub on. Next one I do I am ordering the knuckle-$165, and a new ball joint-$41, Brake dust cover-$14, and bearing assembly with axle nut- $67. I have some photos if anyone wants to see. All in all one hard nice person job. Thanks to everyone that wrote there experiences on priuschat as I had enough problems. PS ditch the screw driver pry trick if you have salt corrosion it will never work remove the knuckle from the car, remove the thin metal shield from behind and get a mini sledge you will do better!!! good luck:)

Mylar likes this.
  17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please do post the pics. I plan on changing mine this summer. I have 124k miles.

18. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    here are the pictures, If I ever do another, I will order a new lower ball joint, $41 dollars at toyotapartsbarn.com a knuckle $167, brake dust cover $14, bearing and hub $66, axle nut $4. The steering tie rod end should be ok. If your bearing is making noise do not wait, it could drop off the car and cause much more damage, a gmc jimmy is down the road from me now with that if I get a photo I will add it.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  19. Wheelin1

Wheelin1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    axle nut torque spec 159 ft lb, 4 bolts behind knuckle holding the bearing on is 41 ft lb, ball joint assembly nut 52 ft lb, lower two nuts and one bolt for ball joint is 66 ft lb, tie rod end steering 36 ft lb, two bolts strut 113 ft lb, front brake bracket bolts 81 ft lb, speed sensor 71 "in" lb.

Cdgreg and Cory Potrafka like this.
  20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That info would come in handy. I already have bearing and hub, axle nut, and the item in pic #4 (brake dust cover?).

Can you explain why I would need a new lower ball joint and knuckle? Is there any way to check if I would need them?

Road noise is getting louder. It could be due to the i3 tires starting to worn out. Two of them were patched up from flats caused by screws. I can not be sure it is due to the bearing.