1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Immobilizer light flashing while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kicker22004, Feb 22, 2016.

1. kicker22004

kicker22004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys i'm new here. Let me start by saying i'm looking at buying a car tomorrow but have some questions.
    Today I test drove the car and was told that the key fob was lost and a replacement was programmed for the car to start...but not locks. But while driving it I noted that the Immobilizer / Theft deterrent light was flashing. Is this normal because everything i'm reading says that the car shouldn't even start. I know that the car isn't stolen because we are planning to take over the loan in the morning for the car at the bank. Can someone please tell me what I should do. If this is because the key was only programmed without the original then can I simply use this one until I can have Toyota make me a new key for around 350-400 based on what i'm seeing online. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.

Below is the light that i'm referring to (car with key in it).
    [​IMG]

2. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would talk to a dealer before the purchase. Ensure they can program a FOB properly for the car, and ask how much it will be.
    Then you can figure that into the equation of your purchase. If you're right (and you probably are) that they can simply program a FOB for a a few hundred bucks, then all's good.

kenoarto likes this.
  3. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New FOBs cost about $400 OTD. ($200 for the FOB + $200 for programming). Be very careful to find out it can be done. I've read about some very expensive problems when you don't have a fully working original FOB.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would add that I wouldn't purchase the car until the owner produces 2 keys that work properly. You have no idea what the dealer will gouge you for even with an estimate until the job is done.

On my 2012, when the fob battery runs out, I have to place the fob against the start button to start the car. Obviously, remote keyless doesn't work. If the door is opened with the car in READY mode the immobilizer icon blinks. If I place my key against the start button, it beeps and goes away, otherwise it blinks while I drive. The immobilizer works in concert with keyless entry in other words.

I imagine they have the immobilizer working but not keyless like you said. Is someone opening the door while you're stopped? If you put the replacement inside the start button slot, does the icon go away?

5. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info guys, I really like this car but don't want to jump into a bad mess. I'm not worried if I need to buy a key but just don't want a bigger issue. As for touching the start button. I didn't try this so I might see about that today. I had the key fob in the start slot while driving if that helps.I have come up with a simple plan to make sure nothing has been tampered with. I'll simply attempt to start the car without the fob present (15 feet away). If the car starts I'm out, if it doesn't then it's a Toyota new key and programming. What do you guys think.

#5 kicker22004, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The key is a big issue. Ignore what I said about touching the start button, that's for a 2012 model. On your model it may be different. Try reinserting the fob into the slot. I was just offering an idea that a blinking immobilizer icon isn't something to worry about. Not having fully functioning keys is a big issue though. It could be $350 - $400 to replace a pair of fobs or it could be thousands to replace the computer.

7. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Alright well it's now daytime here and i've been buzzing on the phones with every Toyota dealer around and afar for pointers. Turns out that this can in fact happen if the key wasn't setup properly and the funniest part is 3 dealers in the town next to me referred me to a Locksmith that does their cars for them.. I gave him a call and he said he would like to check it out but is positive it's just in need of a new key (possible ebay key currently being used). He will meet me at the sellers and will program on the spot for a total of $315.00 that is new key and programmed for all features to work and the light will go off he assures me. So before the sale takes place i'm going to gamble with the key cost and see if it in fact does resolve the issue. I look at it this way, in the end i'd be buying a new key anyways so might as well do it on the spot.

8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Seems like a solid plan.

Good luck!

9. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well guys i'm proud to say that i'm a new Prius owner!. Key cost $340 total and light is off. I drove the care home and all is well. I do have a few questions because this is my first prius... Does the battery meter go up/down often.. I was in a drive through with the lights on and it dropped a few bars after about 10 or so minutes but charged right back up after a small drive..is this normal? Also my friend said that the shifter is odd.. When I put it in drive it clicks on the shifter (almost like plastic on plastic click) but only in drive. Thanks if you guys choose to help me with these questions.

mmmodem likes this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is normal for the traction battery state of charge to rise and fall as you drive.

It is also a known problem for the plastic shield that keeps things out of the shift gate to deteriorate. Yours is probably one in need of attention or replacement. Used shifters are usually available on eBay.

Here's a thread:

clicking gear shift | PriusChat

And a video:

#10 xliderider, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  11. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I've been researching this issue, seems to be a warped plastic piece.... I wonder if I should have one cnc'd from light aluminum. Thoughts?

Ok as long as the battery dropping and charging as fast as it does is OK then I feel better... This car is a big switch from my 944 Porsche lol.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh the humanity.....944 to a Prius....

13. kicker22004

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Babies, have to grow up fast and move past the speed days. But this car is entertaining me with tech so I'm happy.