1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IMPORTANT question about the touch screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hidaven, Mar 6, 2008.

1. hidaven

hidaven Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hi all!
    Im considering the extended warantee. What is the deal on the touchscreen? I have the #6 pkg. with the dvd nav etc. How is the reliability on this? It seems that everything dealing with controlc goes thru that screen and its expensive if it breaks. So has anyones broke? and was it within the 7 years? Just trying to figure out if insurance is worth it since thats the main reason i would get it is the touch screen.
    Thanks!!

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Put the money you would pay for the extended warranty in the bank. If you ever need to replace the MFD, you'll have the money for it. For my money, they aren't worth it. Read Consumer Reports about extended warranties.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    question about the extended warranty

Hello, hidaven, welcome to PriusChat. Some of the earlier MFDs had problems, but later models seem more reliable, as one would expect. You'll find the Search function (third link from the right above) an IMPORTANT tool.

4. rochesteruser

rochesteruser Cruzin' in Rochester MN

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought the warranty 7 year 100,000 for less than $800 and its good to have just in case anything electrical goes haywire which could happen with a Prius. Peace of mind. That's what I purchased.

5. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    good advice.

or, put it in the bank,
    bank your money for 3 years,
    then buy the warranty 3 years from now

e.g., why spend money now that you don't need to spend until you hit 36000 miles/36 months.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The design error which caused problems with early MFDs was fixed in 2005. Yours should be highly reliable. Take the cost of the extended warranty and put it to work for you instead of the seller of the warranty. An extra $1000 in the bank or debt reduction buys much more peace of mind.