1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IMPORTANT QUESTION:how many fingers of oil do i leave on the quart to equal 3.9 quart oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ski.dive, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK:

how many fingers of oil do i leave at the bottom of the 4th quart to equal 3.9 quarts of oil during my oil change?

remember...DO NOT OVERFILL!!!

2. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: IMPORTANT QUESTION:how many fingers of oil do i leave on the quart to equal 3.9 quart oil change

You dont.

Use the oil dipstick to gauge the amount of oil in the crankcase and how much more you need to add.

So with that in mind, add 3 quarts and check the oil, add some more, check the dipstick, then add a bit more until it's at the proper level.

ZC1

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: IMPORTANT QUESTION:how many fingers of oil do i leave on the quart to equal 3.9 quart oil change

Agreed, 3.9 quarts will result in an overfill. I never put more than 3.5 quarts and 3 quarts is enough to get me within the scale b/w min-max on the dipstick.

4. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I buy the 5 quart jugs because they are cheaper than the single quarts. To measure the oil I went to a kitchen store in the outlet mall and bought a 2 quart measuring cup with a tight sealing lid. I first measure out 2 quarts and put it in the car. Then I measure out 1.7 and put that in. Once I'm done I put the lid on tight and put it away until the next time.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If you use single quart containers, then using 3.5 qts for the refill is convenient. This will bring your oil level to about 1/8" below the top dipstick dimple.

You only have to measure 0.5 quart every other time you change oil, since you would save the remaining 0.5 qt for the next oil change. Could this be any easier?

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I measure the oil out with a graduated 1 quart container because I buy Mobil 1 in the 5 qt jugs. I bought the container at Tap Plastics; it is meant for measuring out resin for fiberglass, but works great for measuring oil, it even has a lid so it stays clean for the next change.

I have found that 3.5 qts puts the level at approx 2/3 between low and full marks. 3.7 qts (3.5 litres) puts the level right at the full mark. This is after filling and letting the car run briefly to fill the oil filter and circulate the oil.

3.9 qts (as specified in the owners manual) is definitely too much.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Or buy four one quart bottles. Put in *three*, run the car for a minute, shut it off, wait ten minutes and check the dipstick. (Big Secret That The Oil Companies Don't Want You To Know: the oil level doesn't have to be right at the FULL mark. In a Prius three quarts is usually enough.)

8. sendconroymail

sendconroymail One Mean SOB

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Personally I like to fill the oil up to the full mark on the dipstick (But of course not over AT ALL). I look at the distance between the full mark and low mark as being a buffer. In case I have a problem with oil leaking. Say if after I change the oil I have a problem with the drain plug leaking or the oil filter leaking and I don't notice it right away (happened on the last car I had, with the oil filter). Well since I filled to the full mark I can afford to loose a little oil. If I start out on the bottom of the dipstick I have no buffer to work with. Anyway that's why I fill to the top mark and will not be convinced otherwise.