1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Impossible to install an iPod interface kit in a 2010 Prius III?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Adryth, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Adryth

Adryth New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I received an iPod interface kit for Christmas. It's a Toyota OEM accessory for the 2010 Prius (Part number PT545-00082). Yet two different dealerships have been unable to install it.

The first dealership (where I purchased the vehicle) said that an XM receiver had been installed at the factory, and that it is impossible to disconnect. Therefore, it is impossible to install an iPod interface kit.

The second dealership claimed that there should be no difficulty in disconnecting the XM receiver, but that the Navigation package was required for the iPod interface kit to work.

I called Toyota's "Customer Experience" line and asked them for the real story. They claimed that the Navigation package is not necessary, but that if an XM receiver had been installed at the factory then unplugging it would constitute a "modification" and would therefore void the warranty. Thus no dealership will have any procedures for disconnecting the XM receiver, and by extension, no means of installing the iPod interface kit in any similarly equipped car.

Which, if any, of these are accurate? Is the iPod interface kit really unusable?? Anyone have a similar experience?

2. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my case, I have an iPod kit installed by the dealer with a non nav JBL radio. Never worked. I was told that the XM subscription would need to be terminated for the iPod kit to work. When I called the sat radio provider, I was told they could not find my radio as this was a trial period only subscription. I waited from July until now, still have XM radio and the iPod still doesn't work. I need to go back to the dealer...

3. Adryth

Adryth New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the non-Nav JBL as well. Originally the dealership said that they couldn't get the kit working and did not know why. They showed me an iPod plugged into the interface kit to my car, the iPod flashing a "Do Not Disconnect" message (indicating it thinks it's connected) while the radio reported "No Signal."

The following day they told me that it simply could not be done. They claim the interface kit requires removal of the XM receiver, but there is no way to disconnect the XM receiver once it is installed...

4. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. Adryth

Adryth New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am hoping that is not the case, for two reasons:

1) The kit is a gift. I'm not interested in only semi-functional iPod interfacing solutions, or engaging in a long exercise in trial-and-error to find a replacement Christmas gift. So if the Toyota kit is as useless as the dealerships are claiming then I'll probably just go back to the plain Aux input.

2) This would probably make me feel very reluctant to purchase any more Toyota brand accessories. The interface kit is marketed as if it were compatible with all 2010 Prius models. (A compatibility list is provided for iPods, but not for vehicles.) The only caveat mentioned is that it will disable satellite radio... as in, if you already use satellite radio, you'll have to give it up. Now it seems as if those claims are untrue, and in fact exactly backwards: it is not the kit that disables the satellite, but the satellite that disables installation of the kit (even when said satellite is not in use)! Further, I've gotten the distinct impression from speaking with Toyota representatives that Toyota does not clearly understand how its interface kit works, or which cars it works with (or even the fact that they produce more than one type of kit). So the bottom line is, I'm left feeling that if I buy a Toyota accessory, nobody (not even Toyota) will know exactly what I'm getting or whether it will work as advertized. What do you think -- am I being unfair?

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    if you read carefully, it doesn't work with a head unit that has satellite radio.

they worded it very poorly but what is meant is that the ipod interface will not work with any head unit that has satellite embedded in the electronics.

any toyota head unit with satellite radio has embedded satellite.

therefore it does not work on any Toyota with embedded satellite.

JBL has embedded satellite.

so nothing Toyota sells ,right now, will work with it.

this was confirmed by my Toyota dealership after several calls to Toyota.

the unit i have works. it sends digital info to the head unit so it is better quality than the analog aux in.

it's just a little quirky, thats all.

the dealership took the unit back and put in the aftermarket, spent about 2 hours in all, had to talk to tech support at usa spec to get the dip switch settings correct.

if they put another in it would take 15 minutes tops

what i think is happening is that usa spec is fooling the head unit into believing the ipod is the cd changer

7. Adryth

Adryth New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I suspect you're right that the Toyota adapter will not work with JBL. However, I DID read Toyota's caveat carefully, and it does not say nor even suggest that the presence of satellite would prevent installation of the kit. The original exact wording of the warning, taken from the Owner's Manual of the kit, is as follows:

"NOTE: With the Interface Kit installed, Satellite Radio use is not possible."

I don't see any way to interpret that sentence to mean that the kit is not installable in a car which is already equipped for satellite. If that is what it was meant to say, then their wording is not only poor but actually incorrect.

But I digress...

I will check into the USA SPEC adapter and see if I think I'd like it. Of course, the fact that this adapter is a Christmas gift means I'll have to find out if the useless Toyota adapter can be returned, etc... if not, I'll still end up back in Aux land. :mad:

8. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    at the website it says nothing.

this is a tech sheet from the parts department
    read the note:

even the parts guy had to call their toyota tech line to find out what exactly was going on

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Pohaku

Pohaku Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Car came with the OEM harness in the glove compartment. Personally, I think searching your Ipod through the car 's audio system is extremely cumbersome - especially if you have a lot of music on it. I have a 160GB Ipod Classic that's almost full and using the car's audio controls is just too much of a hassle. So I prefer to use this insted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009KAPX/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Inserted in the power outlet between the seats and cabled into the aux jack. This way I can charge my Ipod, use the line out feature of the standard Ipod connection (rather than the headphone jack with its built in and not very good amplifier), and use the Ipod's much better controls to access my music.

Oh, and it's a lot cheaper than the dedicated IPod harness.

1 person likes this.
  10. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Quick update: My dealer finally confirmed that the Toyota iPod kit is incompatible with the non-nav JBL radio (US' Prius III, Canada’s Premium Package).

As I went in for the ABS ECU recall, they uninstalled it and reimbursed me.

I’ll have to see if I want to invest in another kind of third-party “interfaceâ€.

1 person likes this.
  11. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do keep us posted on any progress... :)

Eric