1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the market for a gen 2. What do you think about this one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Skeletor916, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Skeletor916

Skeletor916 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, first post but I've been reading and lurking forever.

I'm looking at a 2005. 127k, salvage title, asking is $4900 but I wouldn't pay that much for it. Service records are as follows:

6/10/13 - SSC C0T STEERING EXTENSION SHAFT replaced per recall
    7/18/12 - HV Water pump replaced by warranty
    4/23/10 - 60000 mile service done at 83k actual miles. Battery replaced, dealer mites say customer reported battery had to be jumped, so replaced it. Assuming that means it's the 12v. Throttle/carpet mod done as well.
    5/30/09 - 15k mile service at 75k including brake fluid flush.
    Dealer oil changes every 5k miles until 61k.
    7/31/06 - 60C INSP SHAFT1,REPLACED SHAFT2 SSC

From what I can gather, it was purchased at auction in November of 2014 because of a front end collision. The front bumper and both front fenders have been replaced. Doesn't appear to be any frame or engine damage. Interior is quite well kept.

Should I bother haggling and getting an inspection or set my sights elsewhere? I drive about 50 miles per day to work (where I enjoy all of the glitz, glamour, and riches that come with teaching 7th grade) in my 1994 Geo Prizm 4dr. The 30mpg is nice, but it's too small for me. I also bought that car many years ago for $1200 from a guy who fixed it up after buying it from auction, so the salvage label on the Prius doesn't scare me, but my unfamiliarity with hybrids sort of does. Been doing most of my own maintenance on my Prizm and it's now up to about 260k.

I have about 8k saved for a car but the more I think about it, I could put some of that to use remodeling my bathroom, or fixing my garage door and opener so i can garage my next car, and not spend it all on a car...

Anyhow, any advice is appreciated.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think that's a very high price for a salvage 11 year old vehicle. If the HV battery were to fail in a month, would you be willing to put another $2000+ into it? Making the car a $7000 11 year old salvage vehicle?.....

3. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    WHAT?
    full retail for a salvage title...
    don't do it, its a $1500 10 year old car
    the salvage title kills 60% of the car's value and it has ZERO trade in or resale value as it ages
    you can buy one with a clean title for the same price
    cheap gas has lowered the value of all hybrids no matter what dealers tell you..

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! looks like a beauty, all the best!(y)

6. pnyglfr

pnyglfr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got my 2006 model with the same amount with clean title. I would say its a high for a salvage title.

iPad ?

7. Skeletor916

Skeletor916 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, everybody. I kind of figured I should avoid it, which is why I was asking in the first place.

Should clean title, high mileage vehicles scare me away? I see cars in the 200s or high 100s and think I should avoid them.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they could cost you a fortune, or they could go a long time without much trouble. bit of a crapshoot with any vehicle over 150,000 miles.

9. pnyglfr

pnyglfr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got mine one month ago with 151K miles. I did some routine maintenance but I know the battery might go soon but not a sign yet.

iPad ?

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With the miles that you put on a car, it would be insane to buy a newer car.
    Since you do your own maintenance, I'd probably gun for something in the 100,000-150,000 mile range and put lunar mileage on that one while building up cash to replace it.
    Since you're in Caly, a Prius might not be a bad option for you, but you have to be careful indeed because too many people who drive Priuses and trade them out before 100K employ a hood-down maintenance philosophy, which is bad for a vehicle with an itty-bitty oil sump and a 10,000 mile oil change interval.

I'd probably aim for a G3 (2010-2015) that looks to have been well kept by the owner and roll the dice.
    You want one light on options, heavy on dependability.....but they're out there.

You can probably keep clubbing up every so often, and wind up driving a nice used car rather than a beater.

You can cast a wider net and look for something that's not quuuuite as fuel efficient as the Prius, (see: hybrid premium) but gas is low now, so Priuses are cheap now.
    If you get caught looking when prices spiral back upwards, it could cost you more later.....besides.....gas is $1.28 here.
    I don't consider that cheap enough to waste the stuff, and with a 50 mile commute, it still adds up.

Good Luck!