1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

In the market for a used 2005 prius, need some guidances

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by momdadok, Aug 13, 2014.

1. momdadok

momdadok New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have some questions for all you Prius lovers. I'm in the market for a Prius, and found a very good deal on a classified in Southeastern PA. Here're the problems:

- Prius is a 2005 model with ~240,000 mi on it, asking for $3,500
    - The vehicle was well maintained according to the current and original owner
    - The owner mentioned that there was an accident with a deer a couple years ago. The drivers door was repaired, mirror, and a new windshield were installed
    - He had the Christmas lights of death on the dashboard the last time he drove the vehicle

So here're my questions:
    - Based on his description on the Christmas lights, it seems that the hybrid battery had died. Is it advisable to drive the car at this point?
    - I would like to take the car out for a pre-purchase inspection. If the car cannot be driven, what options do I have?
    - Any recommendation on Prius techs in the Southeastern PA area that are willing to travel? Short of that, any reputable independent shops would also be appreciated.

Bottom line: is this car worth it or should I wait for a better Prius to come along? My budget is fairly limited (under 5k) and I'm not comfortable with a rebuilt. Thanks for all your help!

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a nice car for someone who wants to DIY fix a Prius battery....I'm not sure you want to mess with it, unless so inclined. However, I notice there is a hybrid shop in Berwyn.
    If you go to DormanHybrid.com and search on the Technicians tab you will find Jim's in Berwyn.
    Dorman Hybrid Drive Batteries - Technicians

The wording in your note sort of sounds like the owner is letting the Prius sit around, if so the 12v battery could be bad, which would be easy to fix. But sounds like bigger deal. If you can work out for the shop to give you estimate you might decide.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You could easily exceed your $5k budget fixing that car. Not only is the battery possibly dead, but the rest of the car has nearly a quarter million miles on it. The engine, tranny, and other parts could need replacement/repair at any time. I would only pay $3500 if the battery ends up being fine, otherwise, $2500 would be my limit. It could be well worth it to save up a little longer and increase your budget to get a car that's in good shape and has a lot of life left in it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look around for a nice $5,000. corolla.

5. momdadok

momdadok New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice and the technician lead. This is definitely a fun project car for a DIY person :) I'll contact the shop tomorrow to see what options I have. I'm not sure how long the owner let the car sit around. I saw a couple Gen 1 Prii in the area that has dead batteries and sell for ~$1k.

All the other parts are exactly what I was worried about. I was hoping to do a pre-purchase inspection on the car which should unearth some problems with the big ticket items. Any insights on whether a pre-purchase inspection is worth it at this point, assuming the owner agrees with the $2500 offer?

I'm also looking at the Corollas... Although the prices are insane around here. I'm trying to catch one between big ticket item maintenance cycle but so far no luck...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where are you?

7. momdadok

momdadok New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Southeastern PA.

8. momdadok

momdadok New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I contacted the owner last night and let him know the great news the battery is probably dead and I'm not comfortable paying the asking price. I got a reply from the owner that the car hasn't deteriorated to the point of death yet. It can still start but has diminished power "a couple times during driving (e.g. going over a bump)."

This sounds like the battery is about to go?

9. Dre

Dre New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am also in the market for 2005 Prius. It has about 225,000 miles and the dealer is asking for $3,700 as is. Per their inspection, it has $1500 worth of repair. Here's the carfax report:CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2005 TOYOTA PRIUS

Is this worth it? Do I pay that almost $6,000 plus (after everything, taxes etc.) Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Dre

10. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Its the original owner that's selling the car? That likely rules out inexperience with the way the Prius works, but I'm not sure what could be going on with the symptoms provided.
    You could probably find one with around half the miles for about the same end cost. I would definitely see what else is available in your area.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would suggest avoiding both of these cars.

12. Dre

Dre New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to both of you for the input. I"ll keep looking..

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if that's your budget, i would look for a 2008 or 9, prius II with lower mileage.

14. momdadok

momdadok New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, the car I'm looking at is the original owner. It's a bit hard to tell, but he seems to think that the car can start and can drive. My understanding is there're a lot of other things attached to the hybrid battery that can go wrong, but would the worse case be the battery?

I'm considering having the owner drive to the closest Toyota Dealership to get a pre-purchase inspection. If it dies on the way to the dealership, or if the dealership found something, we would have the answer.

15. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sure hope you're joking, prius hybrid battery change is not for the faint of heart, you have to be both mechanically and electrically very proficient and well-read on the subject. My body shop which specializes in Toyotas and Lexus won't even touch a hybrid until Toyota sends a guy across the street with a special glove to unhook the hybrid battery system.

touching anything that's orange on your car can lead to instant death.

both my 2004 & 2005 prius are going strong on original battery with under 100K miles, but this guy just a mile from my house is offering prius battery replacement very cheap:
    Rebuilt prius HV battery
    This seems cheap, almost too cheap, what do you guys think?

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...what I meant was a very challenging advanced DIY for someone willing to safely tackle a big job.

17. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It isn't that bad. I replaced the fans in my Escape Hybrid's battery without a problem. Sure, I wouldn't recommend just anyone doing repairs to their HV battery, but a little research will go a long way.

18. Emalee

Emalee New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at a 2005 with 132k. brand new battery as of last month, clean title.. guy was up front about owning a used car lot but sold it when he got a job with Chrysler, he kept this car and is using it until he sells it & gets a company car. asking $6200. I'm about to start college and need something that will last, I will be putting about 300 miles a week. suggestions?

19. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suggest you get a receipt as proof of the brand new battery, and the receipt should be from Toyota for the battery to have any value to it. And I hope we are talking about the hybrid battery and not the little 12v battery.

Many will use the line of "I'm a car dealer that's why I've only had this car for a month". Look at the records and see what is truthful and what is not

20. Emalee

Emalee New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it was the hybrid battery. I am waiting for the VIN and to hear back what service records there are..