1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Inadvertant transmission change into neutral

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by teabags, Jun 25, 2014.

1. teabags

teabags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Recent purchase of new 2014 Prius v model 3. Less than 5,000 miles on odo. Transmission shifted into neutral on two occasions when making a right hand turn while going over a small depression (drainage swail). Of course Toyota recommends that I take it to their dealer for diagnosis but if they can't pull the code they will send me on my way. Going to go anyway but feel it is pointless. Anybody else experienced this condition?

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A little more detail is needed.

Did it really STAY in neutral or was this just a momentary change in the way the car sounded and felt ?

When going around corners, it it common to drive over paint stripes, manhole covers and center-lane oil strips.
    All of those things can cause activation of the traction control system under the right conditions and the abrupt change should last only
    a few seconds at most. This is also likely to happen when there are moderate to severe bumps in the road.

A similar thing sometimes happens with the ABS if you are braking.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it is really staying in Neutral, is there any chance the shift knob swung left during the turn and bump? Or does the knob have little or no spring pressure to push it back from N to the normal center position?

A few cars have had return springs or electrical contacts in the shift knob assembly go bad with age, fortunately the repairs were fairly easy. But I don't recall any such reports on new cars. This sort of simple mechanical problem will not throw codes.

4. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    This may be another case of a new driver discovering the oddities of TC and anti-lock in a newer hybrid system. But if its really winding up in "N", that sounds like a faulty electronic shifter. But you have to hold it in N to get it to switch, just a bouncing lever shouldn't do it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    or maybe you bumped it, i have to be careful.

6. teabags

teabags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To add: We previously drove a gen2 so are fairly familiar with traction control altho never had to use it down here in Florida. The car changed into neutral & I had to manually move the transmission lever back into drive to make it into the carport. It is possible that my right knee bumped it into neutral but I don't think that was the case. In any event if that is indeed is what has happened that in itself could be a serious problem.

Thanks for all of your responses. teabags

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A momentary bump shouldn't do it, the bump would have to be held at least a second.

Unless that bump also pushed it up into 'R', then the shift to Neutral should be immediate, but also accompanied by a double beep warning.

8. teabags

teabags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Since then it happened twice again. Both time observed my knee did not bump the drive selector. Both cases dropped into neutral and beeped. I had to manually place it back into drive. I will take it into a local dealer but feel that this will be a waste of time as they will not be able to diagnose it without an active code. Anyway looks like I'm stuck with it. I will though file a report with the NHSTA. Thanks for the responses.

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it a single beep, or a double beep?

If the later, it suggests the computers received a command to shift to Reverse or Park, and defaulted to Neutral for protection. Did your hand or fingers go anywhere near the Park button? If not, then I'd most suspect a faulty switch or mechanism (e.g. broken return spring) related to the shifter or park button, as some past readers have experienced. Such a fault would not leave a code.

If it was a single beep, then something else happened.

tanasit likes this.
  10. teabags

teabags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks - This is getting difficult as it happens intermittently. Not every time, but now I'll listen for the beeps. Again thanks

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder if your 12 volt might be on it's last legs?

12. teabags

teabags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Doubtful as it only has 2737 miles on it. Thanks anyway.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but worth checking, it wouldn't be the first time. it's an easy check with a dvm.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is definitely not normal. If the shift-lever isn't moving at all, I suspect something is loose in the actuator controls. It may not be worthwhile tearing apart the transaxle for this, but I'd document things very carefully, and hope that it progresses to the point where you can clearly make the case for warranty work.

15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I'd guess that if it only happens on right hand turns and over a bump, then something is loose, swinging to the left and either shorting out or losing contact, IMO it has to be the gear selector switch. As said above. it won't show a fault code as it is mimicking selecting neutral or park. See if you can reproduce it somewhere safe such as an empty parking lot, where there is a depression you can drive over whilst turning right, then take the Toyota mechanic on a test drive to that spot.

16. teabags

teabags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thank you all for your input. I'll keep a close watch on conditions & circumstances. If it happened to me then it will happen to someone else.